Transfer Miami

I’m a freshman at Manhattan College in NYC. I had a 3.7 GPA my first semester and I have a 3.8 right now. I don’t really like the small school environment and I want to go further away from home.( I’m from NY) I was denied from UMiami last year with a 3.2 GPA and a 1200 SAT. What are my odds of being accepted this time around? I need this, I really don’t see myself here next year!

Yes, I think you have a good chance! Transferring from a college means you can handle college classes and your GPA is excellent. Transferring requirements are easier than freshman. Freshman average GPA in 2017 was 3.7uw, mid-range scores 1320. While your SAT is lower, colleges consider the GPA more than standardized scores because they don’t want someone who is smart/lazy who might flunk-out because they are lazy. You’ve already proved you can handle college curriculum; I think that will override your SAT score. From their website: “We conduct a holistic review and will consider all items of your application including standardized testing (if necessary), grades (both high school if necessary and college), essay, work experience, etc. However, the bulk of our focus will be on your collegiate-level work.” Warning: Their admissions are snails-pace.

U of Miami has been a dream come true for my son, who transferred this last fall. The Mahoney/Pearson upperclassmen dorms suck, they are really, really old and the windows don’t open, and the dining hall food isn’t excellent either (but good selection at food court). BUT the students and school are awesome! He has awesome professors and has met so many people in the clubs on campus. They are building a new dorm in the middle of campus, but my son will have graduated by its completion date. The students are friendly and welcoming and the college is constantly having fun activities for them. It’s not like his last college (public) where everyone was bored in a boring town, so people smoke and drank. There is so much to do on/off campus, that you don’t need to be a partier to have fun. It’s also the right size because he sees the same people on campus (while his public school was 40,000 students, so it was tough to bond). They had the Republican presidential debate in early 2017, football games are FREE with shuttles constantly running (to the same stadium where the Dolphins play). JLo and Alex Rodriguez show up at BB games, Drake was making his video (God’s Plan) there recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpVfcZ0ZcFM There was an Iron Chef competition in the dining hall. They also have a bunch of activities on campus that are fun. I’ve never known of a college to offer so many activities for their students!

If you don’t get accepted this round, try again for Spring Term, less people applying then. Feel free to PM me with other questions and best of luck. Post back here with the decision!

@JessiesGirl Do you think I have a chance at being granted admission?

Here are my stats:

Current School: Broward College (2-year institution.)
Major: Criminal Justice
Current Cumlative GPA: 3.18 (is expected to be a 3.3 by the end of the semester.)
Credits: Completed 49 credits and expected to have my AA by the end of the semester (60+ credits.)
Letter of Recommendation: 1 from a professor at UM, 1 from an officer in the U.S. Air Force, 1 from my employer, and 3 more from other connections I have (6 in total.)
Extra Curricular’s: Member of the National Society of Leadership & Success & Community Service with Church.

Thanks!

@ruizjeancarlo: I think you have a decent chance, although your GPA is a bit low and it’s from a 2-year college, considered easier than a 4-year (but it’s still college, considered more difficult than high school). They don’t care what it will be by the end of the semester, they only look at the GPA on your current transcript because it’s proven.

You have a ton of letters of recommendations and that can help at a private school such as UMiami (and esp. since on is from a UM professor). Public schools don’t have time to look at letters (too many applicants) but private schools consider them, as they are more interested in personalities instead of just herding students. My daughter had a stellar letter of rec and one private university even stated on their admissions letter that it impressed them.

I’m guessing those letters are stating that you have a strong work ethic so that could help convince. Their website states you need at least a 3.0 so you should be okay. My son is in a rigorous major and I think he only had a 3.2 GPA. Someone else got a 3.4 GPA and got a generous merit scholarship, while my son got no scholarship. But I think it’s more than just GPA, I think they consider the majors too—whether your major has a lot of competition for transfers.

Since you are at a 2-year college, they know you cannot stay there (like a 4-year college), so that might help your acceptance too.

As I stated above, try applying for Spring semester if you aren’t accepted in the fall. It took 10 weeks last year for us to hear a decision (promised 4-6 weeks). You might also look at past transfer threads to see other people’s stats and if they posted that they were accepted. Best wishes, let us know!

@JessiesGirl I’ll keep you posted. Miami has been my dream school for as long as I can remember. Hopefully my college GPA will outweigh my poor high school stats. Getting denied from Miami was a wake up call, and I started to put in effort this year!