Transferring A Third Time From An Ivy to Alabama?

@ssnicker638

Are you expecting to receive enough merit aid to cover all of your costs at wherever you transfer to? Are your parents contributing nothing to Columbia?

Yes, I’m expecting a merit-based full scholarship. My parents are contributing a hefty sum to Columbia, but they won’t contribute to my new school as the inevitable drop in prestige is too much for them to stomach.

I’m going to stick my neck out. I don’t think you will be getting a full free ride to any college as a third year transfer student.

If I’m wrong, I’m sure someone will correct me…or point you to a college where you can get a full free ride.

If you really want to leave Columbia, I think your only option is to get a full time job near a public university in your home state…and attend college part time until you are able to complete your degree. Pay as you go.

9 Likes

Why did you transfer to Columbia if you don’t mind my asking? Sorry if I missed the reason earlier in the thread.

Feel free to PM.

Well, that is highly unlikely to happen. Can you work on a plan B? If you can’t do enough math for economics, computer science isn’t so likely to work out. I know people who have found jobs in NYC with humanities degrees. It takes more hustle, but it can be done.

4 Likes

How about taking a leave of absence from Columbia to clear the cobwebs out and come up with a plan to finish college. Get a job. Deal with your counseling…college can wait.

7 Likes

What was your major at your previous college?

Why did you transfer to Columbia, apparently without knowing beforehand that it would be difficult to complete your desired major along with its core / general education education requirements?

Your choices now:

1. Continue at Columbia, graduating in whatever major you can complete.
  2. Return to your old college, graduating in whatever major you can complete.
  3. Transfer to a different college, if any is affordable. Merit scholarships tend to be less common for transfers.
1 Like

I’m going to have to agree with everyone else. Simply transferring isn’t going to address your issues. Wherever you go, there you will be. You are obviously a high achieving student as you’ve been admitted to two Ivy League schools (even 1 is beyond most), but somehow you aren’t clicking with the schools. Maybe it’s imposter syndrome and maybe it’s something else. You need to sort that out before trying a third school (not to mention you won’t be eligible for aid at most). I’d suggest just finishing at Columbia and getting your degree if you think you can stand it. It’s a great name and you’ll be done with undergrad.

7 Likes

In terms of job prospects, a major in Linguistics can be very employable these days in the Artificial Intelligence field (!). I learned that Columbia has offered, once again in 2020, Linguistics as a major after disbanding the Linguistics department in 1989. I am sorry that you have not found your niche at your school. I agree with others that transferring is not the answer for you. Look forward; don’t keep thinking that “I’ve screwed myself”.

5 Likes

My son was a NM winner. His offers came in for Freshman year. Unfortunately, the NM scholarship begins in Freshman year and continues at the school that was identified and where the student matriculated. In other words, you don’t get to redo Freshman year and get the same awards.

I agree that trying to find funding for a third school is not likely.
What happens if Alabama doesn’t work out?

2 Likes

Asking again as my question may have gotten lost in the shuffle, what was and is your major?

1 Like

Hmmm… really hoping this isn’t the case. If there are any other alternatives people know of, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I’m fine going to a state school while taking out loans and working, but I don’t have residency in any state.

Don’t want to specify (to reduce the chances of getting doxxed), but something in the humanities. Not linguistics or econ

Please explain. The state in which your parents reside is your state of residence.

2 Likes

Feel free to PM.

Parents are transient and move very frequently.

Then here is your other option. Move to a state where you think you might like to attend college. Get a job. Work full time. When you are 24, you will be independent for financial aid purposes. Check the residency requirements for instate status…meet those requirements. Then once you are 24, work and go to college and finish.

Also, where did you live when you graduated from HS? Some states allow you to maintain that residency even if your family moves.

4 Likes

Where did they last file their taxes? If they can afford Columbia, they have to have filed state taxes somewhere.

You’re going to have to work for a while to establish residency somewhere. Even public universities are expensive. Housing is a bear.

You can only take out less than $7500 per year on your own. That’s not enough to cover non-residency fees at a public university. You need to pay health insurance (~$3-$6K per year) which is NOT funded by any scholarships or grants.

2 Likes

Columbia economics requires calculus 1, calculus 3, and calculus-based statistics. The intermediate microeconomics and econometrics courses presumably use this math.

But if that math is a barrier, Columbia CS may not be for you. It requires:

• Calculus 2 or calculus 3 (calculus 3 is recommended).
  • Discrete math.
  • Linear algebra.
  • CS theory (languages and automata, basically like a math course).

CS at other schools commonly requires calculus 2, discrete math, linear algebra, and some type of CS theory course.

7 Likes