Transferring to A&M - Campus Life

Hey so I wanted to reach out to all the current Aggie students to get an idea of how much I would enjoy being at Texas A&M. I am looking at transferring into their Petroleum Engineering program from West Point (USMA). Leaving West point has been a tough decision for me, especially because of the great friends I’ve made here, but I don’t want to wait an extra 8-10 years to get into the industry, hence the reason for the desired change of scenery.

So I’ll just list some of my questions and feel free to answer some or all of them, I’d appreciate any insight.

1. How is the food and how are the gym(s)? What are the hours like?

2. How is College Station in terms of nightlife and also how is nightlife on campus? Is the party scene pretty good? I can appreciate a good party since I don’t really get to do it being at West Point

3. How are the campus events such as tailgates and all that? I’d imagine pretty good if y’all have midnight yell practice hahah.

4. I’ve heard Greek life isn’t very big, is that true for the most part? Is it worth someone like me trying to rush to make friends more quickly? I’m not really one to be hazed especially after being hazed by West Point.

5. For someone who is genuinely friendly and laid-back, is it pretty easy to make friends at A&M? Like I said, leaving my friends from West Point will be pretty tough and so I think that being able to make friends easily would help ease the transition.

6. This one is for the guys, and not to sound like an d*****, but how are the girls at A&M? Are they pretty down-to-earth and friendly or do you have mostly stuck up ones? I’m sure you get a little of both just as you would anywhere but as for as majority goes type of thing.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer if you do, I appreciate all of it! I wanted to visit for Spring Break but our schools have the same break so that was nixed pretty quickly.

Welcome to the Aggie family. I’m a parent so there are many questions I won’t try to answer, but in regards to #5 I would recommend T-Camp. It is an orientation camp for transfer students set up to be like Fish Camp.

I will let others chime in for your other questions