Transferring to CC

Thought I’d start a new thread here. Was accepted to CC last year, regular decision, after having visited for a weekend and loving the atmosphere. Stupidly, I chose a large prestigious public university over CC, and I hate it there. I am looking to transfer out for next year (sophomore), but am worried about my chances of getting in as a transfer due to my senioritis spring of 2016, and low transfer acceptance rate overall. Also, how is it socially trying to integrate into CC when you’ve missed freshman year? Hoping some current CCers can give me input on the transfer experience. Miserable in CA.

I just transferred from a higher ranked NESCAC school this year, and I definitely like CC a lot better. There were 20 transfers in my year, and you definitely shouldn’t worry about grades, because I felt that many transfer students were holistic applicants, and not necessarily >3.5 students. You go on a priddy trip with transfers only, so that should allow for bonding, although my friend group is mainly by chance from sitting at lunch tables with vaguely familiar faces. There isn’t too much of an adjustment to the block plan, and integrating into the community was slightly harder living in a hall full of single rooms, but I definitely feel that despite friend groups being set, you could definitely find your people given time. You should apply this year, since transferring as a sophomore is much better than as a junior, because there are so many graduation requirements in this place that it’s quite ridiculous.

i am a cc alum who transferred in. i have experience working in the admissions office as well. i would say definitely use every avenue possible to show your interest – reach out to your admissions counselor, schedule an interview, write a very specific essay about why you want to transfer to cc and why it’d be a good fit for you. my transfer class was tiny but it seemed like everybody who was admitted & transferred actually really wanted to be there so i’d make that very clear in your application! best of luck!