Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

Your predictions look sound to me. DE does seem to reject a lot for TE.

I dunno. I think RIT could be an “accept.” :thinking: Unless they greatly restrict the acceptance of engineering majors?

Predicting is fun. I may do that when we have more info. :blush:

Thank you for the Syracuse tip. 23 is interested in the Maxwell school so that will make it a lower acceptance rate than other schools in the university.

1 Like

Hey All,

I’ll add D23’s “stats” and where we are in the process.

• 3.95 GPA (unweighted, 4.8 weighted)
  • IB degree
  • 33 ACT (still has a few more tests to take, wants to score higher)
  • Sports: will have 2 years tennis, 1 year dance (early year)
  • 2 years debate (FR and SO, stopped due to COVID)
  • Student council treasurer, does A+ tutoring (2 years), volunteers at the Zoo, in FBLA (went to nationals this past year), Key club, NHS member
  • Has part time job in the local hospital

D23 is pretty up in the air about what she wants to do, but likes marine biology. Would prefer to be in a city, but open to other situations. So far, we’ve visited Wheaton (MA), BU, and Hendrix.

We have a LOT of TE schools on our list (don’t see a reason to rule anything out this early on). Some I see as “low chance”, some “decent”, and some “decent” (in terms of possibly getting a TE). These are:

LOW CHANCE (ACT score not in the 75th percentile, but at top of the 50th)

• Pitzer, Connecticut College, Trinity College, Boston University

SOME CHANCE (ACT in the 75th percentile, but barely)

• Mt. Holyoke, Lawrence University, Sarah Lawrence, University of Florida, Fordham, Loyola Marymount (LA), Clark University, Rollins College

DECENT CHANCE (ACT solidly in the 75% percentile)

• Skidmore, Williamette, Knox, Lewis and Clark, Wheaton (MA), St. Mary’s (MD), Hendrix, Eckerd, Syracuse, St. Louis U, DePaul, U of Tulsa, Providence College

Good luck to all throughout this process!

4 Likes

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing those details. That seems wise to have a long list for now. As you say, no need to rule any out too early.

I like the way you’ve noted if test scores are in the 75th. 23 didn’t like test scores and will redo the test. Math needs work. English is fine. We are happy to hear of schools that superscore!

As a way to narrow our list, I will figure out that same data point. Such a good idea.

University of Florida is a great school!

2 Likes

Just want to make sure you know you can only apply to 10 TE schools at a time. I don’t know if you can do sequential rounds of 10 each or if you’re limited to 10 each year or how that works. Might want to check up on that if you have a long list.

Good lists!

1 Like

Kombucha - obviously some of those schools are test optional, and they look at a large range of variables in making decisions, but applicants need some way to gauge their TE chances so the process can be organized, and ACT/SAT seems like the easiest way to do it.

D23’s math score is her weakest one - she’s plugging away at a Math ACT book. Definitely thankful for super-scoring. I get he argument for using it and not using it, but where it is used, D23 is happy. :slight_smile:

She’s a Florida fan. I forgot to mention that we did visit Eckerd, which she really liked. The idea of beaches being nearby is a huge plus to her, though I warned her that what seems cool and unique could get old pretty quickly.

1 Like

Cold Wombat - yeah, I’ve heard that, but I can’t find anything that says it anywhere. Do you know where that is stated? I’ve checked the docs from my home institution, but there’s no mention of it. If that’s indeed true, it’s important to know!

2 Likes

The TE site is not the most user-friendly. I found the info on the actual online TE application page. Here’s what it says right now, in the spot where you can pick the schools you want to apply to:

Applying To*:
0/10 maximum schools selected.

You may apply to more than one school at a time by holding down ctrl (PC) or command (MAC) and clicking multiple schools. If you require submission through more than 10 schools, contact your liaison officer. Submission of multiple applications could result in a decline from your employer to the TE program.

Rather than worry about these details, we decided to pare the list down to 10 or fewer schools. Our kid will do 9 at the most. If that would be hard for you, I suppose the best step is to contact your home institution’s TE liason ASAP to find out if they have the 10 limit, or if they’ll allow more.

3 Likes

Wombat -

Thanks! My school’s TE document doesn’t say anything about application restrictions, so I’m assuming there aren’t any - but I’ll reach out to them to make sure (I found a few colleges online that explicitly say there are no restrictions on apps). I’d like to have my kid do more than 10 (she’s willing to do it) just to really spread out the options. It’s costly (app fees), but it seems to me a cost that makes sense.

1 Like

My schools TE verification form only allows 10 spots and a $25 fee for each. However it also says additional schools are $35 so its confusing.

My son will be applying to only academic targets or safeties.
Hes a low gpa but high test score kid so his chance of TE is low. Im trying to have him focus on 40% or higher schools listed on TE.

I work for a Jesuit school and they have a seperate form for FACHEX so we dont have to use up those spots on TE for Jesuit schools. (And no fee).

3 Likes

Hi! My DD23 is working on her final list. Her stats are:
ACT 36 (NM commended so no nmsf)
GPA-? 3.9 something? She transferred her JR year to a top boarding school with no weighting. Her pre-BS weighted was 4.3. She took 3 AP’s pre-BS but not the tests (Covid online year). Her BS doesn’t have official AP’s but her physics class made them take the test, no prep, class not taught to the test- she won’t be submitting her score. School doesn’t do class rank but she is in top quintile which is all they will tell us.
Will have excellent recs.
EC is year round ballet at the pre-professional level, 16-20 hours a week prior to BS. She continued dance at BS 7 days a week, so not many other EC’s. Wants to dance in college but not major. Looking for a good student ensemble or company.
Wants to study something math, science, computer science related but not sure.
Wants East Coast school.
TE schools on list:
Syracuse
Villanova
Pitt
St. Lawrence
Non-TE
EA- Princeton (super interested in their
William and Mary
Another Ivy or two.

Need help with suggestions for true safeties where total cost after aid would be around 25k.

1 Like

What great info to have. Thank you!

What’s your home state? And will your family qualify for any financial need? (Or rather, at a meet-needs school like Princeton, is the Expected Family contribution something your family is willing and able to pay?)

Also, check out this link for some ideas: Colleges with dance for non-majors

2 Likes

Are you in Florida or familiar with it? I attended UF and used to joke I was as far from a beach as I could get in Florida. :rofl: Not a good choice. Haha.

The entire town seems under construction, which is blah. Overall, lots to do and mostly cheap cost of living.

Since you have St. Mary’s on your list, have you looked into Hobart and William Smith Colleges? Both SMCM and HWS are small, near water, on TE list.

We liked HWS a lot yet 23 is looking for a larger school near a city.

Look in your child’s email for waivers or, I mean, have them look.

At a college visit today, we received an application fee waiver to a school high on the list.

Some colleges send me email, too, so I see we have received a few more waivers today!

2 Likes

University of Hartford? Fordham? Point Park? Skidmore?

1 Like

PA. We won’t qualify for fafsa aid but the EFC for some Ivy’s puts it in the affordable range. And some TE schools would still be unaffordable. I’ve looked at that link but will look again.

No way to Point Park. She did their SI. She doesn’t want to major. It has non-campus setting.

I’d take a look at these schools where I think your D would stand a decent to excellent chance at acceptance and at hitting your price point or close to it. These schools all have ABET-accredited engineering programs, which I used as an easy (if imperfect) screen for the quality of their STEM programs:

• Binghamton (NY) - (not a safety to get at your price range, but I think a not unreasonable shot)
  • Gannon (PA )
  • Grove City (PA )
  • Mercer (GA)
  • Miami (OH)
  • Ohio Northern
  • Ohio U.
  • U. of Mount Union (OH)
  • West Virginia U.
  • Wilkes University (PA )
  • York (PA )

Also, what about the Behrend College at Penn State Erie? I bet she’d get some of the limited merit that Pennsylvania publics offer, and it’s a residential campus where most of the students stay all 4-year rather than transferring to University Park. And ABET-accredited for that campus.

2 Likes

University of South Carolina gives merit for good grades

Not a TE school but might be good to know about

1 Like

Case Western? They are generous with TE and definitely check the science and club sports boxes.

2 Likes