Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

That’s awesome! He (and you) should be proud! There are lots of routes in, some purely academic, some artistic. They’re all amazing achievements.

3 Likes

Could it be that with grades, GPA. EC’s etc, that they figured that SU was a “safety” school? The likelihood of attendance is often a part of the admission selection process. I know of many students denied /waitlisted who had a resume that was slightly too good for the school. It may be an inaccurate judgment on admissions behalf, but many colleges do make this assessment.

1 Like

My daughter applied as architecture so we knew Syracuse was not a safety.

1 Like

Spent all day at a wonderful accepted student day at Purdue. Got home to find an acceptance and a ~full tuition scholarship from Syracuse.

TE for 41K plus 20K for engineering and computer science leadership scholar. After middling success with TE, we are shocked.

TE award was only listed in the MySlice portal, by the way.

9 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

4.3 and waitlisted Syracuse
Applied to Maxwell

We visited twice and showed lots of interest other ways.

Heartbreak here

Waitlisted for my daughter as well. I also thought this would be a decent probability for TE. Still a lot of other good options but this wasn’t expected.

That’s wonderful news! Congratulations! :partying_face:

1 Like

I have to think that there is a lot of yield protection going on at Syracuse with these results.

We just heard from Colgate- accepted and the FA offer makes it doable. So accepted to two 11-12% acceptance schools and rejected from a 60%. That HAS to be yield protection. Even though we are more about cost than prestige and would have seriously considered it.

Syracuse has really different acceptance rates for different programs. Their engineering program is definitely one of the easier ones to get into. Some others have suuuper low acceptance rates. I suspect that’s at least part of what’s going on here.

2 Likes

@jammed @ColdWombat @AnonMomof2

Hi, Do you all know if arts and sciences is the same as the Maxwell school?

Or is Maxwell a sub-college in A&S?

Not sure about your question, but I DO know that Maxwell is hard to get into.

1 Like

I agree. My D was rejected by the super safety school, while being accepted by a lot more selective schools.

1 Like

delete

Sounds like a fantastic day at Purdue that ended with a lovely surprise–TE and a scholars award! Wow.
Celebrate and a huge congrats!

1 Like

For all Syracuse applicants. This may take the sting out of being waitlisted:

“Syracuse University received a record number of applications—more than 42,000 for 3,700 spots in the Fall 2023 class. Unfortunately, many qualified students could not be offered admission due to the strength and size of the candidate pool.”

4 Likes

Not that this will help, but did read that Syracuse had a record breaking number of applications this year. I’m really sorry your kiddo is hurting.
My D23 was super impressed with Newhouse but didn’t end up applying.
She refuses to wear socks and wasn’t quite sure how that would work in Syracuse:)

1 Like

Thank you. I think 23 felt bad thinking the acceptance rate was 60%. This new number may help them understand the number of high stats kids who were rejected. I figured I’d share with others in case it helps.

Good wishes to you and yours on this crazy ride!

1 Like

Has anyone heard anything on TE from Syracuse?

If you scroll back, you will see that some have heard. We have not received financial aid information (TE or regular FA).