Tuition for gap year classes for OOS

<p>If a student graduates in May, but wants to stay at Bama doing a gap year before med school/grad school, working, perhaps doing research, or even at Panda Express, and they were OOS during their four years at Bama, would they pay an hourly OOS tuition rate, or would the fact that they attended Bama for four years, living in Bama for most of the summers, qualify them for instate tuition? Is there any kind of tuition waiver for campus employees after a certain amount of time? For instance, if they work at Bama as a job for long enough to get a tuition waiver, then perhaps they can take classes then. With the competition for jobs and grad school, this might be an option some of our kids have to take.</p>

<p>Once a child graduates, his state of residency can depend on where he’s living. however, I don’t know how long it would take in that case. You may need to contact the Univ and ask.</p>

<p>Thank you. The boys are in an off campus apartment this year, so would be living outside of the dorms, so I wonder if that would help them be classified as instate. They’re finishing up research, and need some extra courses to help with grad school/job hunting, so they’re hoping to take advantage of the gap year.</p>

<p>Many states have easier ways for graduate students to get residency in that state. This is particularly true in California, where grad students find that their funding after the first year is based on them being a resident of California. However, that’s answering a different, albeit somewhat related, question than you asked. </p>

<p>Based on my understanding of UA’s residency policies, a student who was formerly classified as an OOS student would not have met the residency requirement to be considered an in-state student because they were not in the state for a year for a purpose other than that of a full time college student. </p>

<p>I remember learning that UA employees don’t receive discounted tuition for a year or two for their spouse and children, but seem to recall that there was only a six month waiting period for the employee themselves.</p>

<p>Thanks, Seatide. We’ll tell the boys to look into that. Perhaps by January, spring semester, they’d be able to get instate rates. </p>