Residency

<p>Things have changed a bit for me recently. I will now be attending UA for the Spring of 2012. My fiance recently applied as a transfer student and was accepted. My tuition is covered by the graduate school, but I am worried about her tuition.</p>

<p>I’m aware that she is going to be considered an out of state student for the first year, but what about the second year? We are planning our move to Tuscaloosa in a few weeks. I won’t be working because I will have a GA with the university. Is she required to work during our first year there in order to get in state tuition for the following year? She doesn’t plan on working for a while. I hope this doesn’t mess up getting in state tuition for the second year. However, we both plan on getting Alabama drivers licenses, registering to vote, and registering my car there. We intend on being in Alabama for at least the next 10 years.</p>

<p>She isn’t really moving to Alabama for the sole purpose of attending school… more like transferring there and following me because I am attending school there. Lastly, what kind of financial aid do you out of state undergraduate folks get? She just submitted her financial aid documents for the spring semester.</p>

<p>I’ve read over the residency requirements for Alabama, but I wasn’t sure if she is required to work during the first year. Everything will be in my name, so she won’t have proof of a registered vehicle and lease, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>OOS students do not get much need-based aid outside of federal aid. Spring admits often get even less because Work Study is often given out before then.</p>

<p>When are you getting married? I think she gets your state residency as soon as you marry. </p>

<p>I don’t know if we can answer the intricacies of instate residency. Did you look on the website.</p>

<p>I suggest that she wait until she “for sure” has residency…otherwise the cost will be very high.</p>

<p>Weren’t your children originally OOS? I’m hoping that by working for the first year, she will qualify for in state tuition the following year. Currently, I am not an Alabama resident, but I will be considered one when I start graduate school there.</p>

<p>I was pretty spoiled with my undergraduate tuition rates. I think it was about $4500 for the entire year in NC. However, their massive funding towards universities is coming back to haunt the budget.</p>

<p>Weren’t your children originally OOS?</p>

<p>We’re from Calif, but we moved here a few years BEFORE they started college…so they were never considered OOS while at Alabama.</p>

<p>How old is your fiancee? If she’s 24+, moves here, works for a year, and THEN applies to go to school here and get FA, that would give her residency.</p>

<p>She shouldn’t start school or even apply before she has residency since she wants instate rates and FA.</p>

<p>Don’t spouses and children of employees get a tuition discount? Are you considered an employees of The University as a GA?</p>

<p>I’d talk to your recruiter or whoever arranged your GA and ask.</p>

<p>Understood.</p>

<p>My fiancee is from CA too. She’s currently 24+ and considered a non-dependent student. She’s already applied and been accepted as a transfer student for the fall of 2012. We are able to change to spring 2012 if we decide to move a bit earlier.</p>

<p>It sounds like moving to Alabama soon, working part-time, and then attending school only a few months later in January won’t be enough to get residency for spring 2013. I’m guessing they want to see that she moved there for other reasons besides school. Working part time and attending class will show otherwise. I’m assuming that she will be denied residency if we move there and she immediately starts school and part-time work and requests residency for the following year.</p>

<p>I fear that we will get there and she will be stuck with OOS tuition for the duration at Bama. I’m not even sure loans and federal aid will cover the entire tuition.</p>

<p>We are also considering University of Tennessee because they don’t have a 12 month requirement. As soon as you start living in the state, you get residency.</p>

<p>*It sounds like moving to Alabama soon, working part-time, and then attending school only a few months later in January won’t be enough to get residency for spring 2013. I’m guessing they want to see that she moved there for other reasons besides school. *</p>

<p>Since she’s over 24, she can move to Alabama for any reason, get a job, work for a year, then apply to Bama. They would have no grounds to say she’s only here for education purposes if she moves and works first…since she’s over 24. </p>

<p>If I moved to Calif tomorrow, got a job, worked for a year, and then applied to a UC, I’d be instate. I’m over 24, my residency is where I have lived for at least a year.</p>

<p>What about going to Alabama for the first year as OOS while working and then getting in-state residency for the next year? Or would they not grant residency based on the fact that she attended Bama the previous year as an OOS?</p>

<p>I was horribly mistaken about residency. Once I started researching it a bit, I realized it’s somewhat confusing. I assumed that in most states you could move there, live there for a year while attending school, and then be eligible for in-state rates the second year. I guess most states set up their regulations in order to prevent this.</p>

<p>*What about going to Alabama for the first year as OOS while working and then getting in-state residency for the next year? Or would they not grant residency based on the fact that she attended Bama the previous year as an OOS?</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>I wouldn’t advise trying enrolling as OOS first. THAT is what looks like you’ve come to the state only to go to school.</p>

<p>* I assumed that in most states you could move there, live there for a year while attending school, and then be eligible for in-state rates the second year. I guess most states set up their regulations in order to prevent this. *</p>

<p>If state schools allowed that, then no one would pay OOS rates after the first year.</p>