Tulane Early [Decision] Admission deferral

My son received a deferral to Tulane Early Admissions. Any advice on his next steps. It is his first choice and very much want to go there. His GPA is 3.8 and ACT is 32.

Wait for the fall semester grades to come in and send a letter of continued interest. Follow-up with a Zoom call with the AO if this is allowed. Good luck!

Deleted

Same…deferred but very much still interested.

@tpetro, by “early admissions” do you mean non-binding “early action” (EA)?

If so, have you run the NPC for Tulane and can your family entertain switching his application to Tulane’s second early decision round (ED2)? Tulane cares a lot about maintaining yield, nudges EA applicants to switch to ED, and gives ED applicants a real boost.

@Metawampe he applied ED and now got moved to RD. They are not allowed to go to ED2 from ED.

@Metawampe if your son got deferred from ED, I would start falling in love with something else. The original OP was an EA deferment. Moving from EA to ED2 can help.

1 Like

I was responding to the OP, @tpetro, who referred to “early admissions.” I have since edited my response to indicate some clarity is required on that, since early admissions comes in binding (ED) and non-binding (EA) varieties.

In your case, I your son might express continued interest if he wants, even though making Tulane his ED pick should have already done the heavy lifting on his commitment to the school. He should continue to focus on his other apps, however, because getting passed over by Tulane on an ED application is a tough break. Good luck!

I was responding to the OP, not @Gold531. It is unclear which application path the OP’s son took. (“Early admissions?”)

I agree 100% that getting passed over by Tulane on an ED application is a strong message to shift focus to the rest of the college list.

While I don’t disagree…and we are encouraging him to move on and focus on the schools he has gotten in to and those he is still waiting to hear from… this year tulane made it clear they were accepting less ED applicants and deferring some to the RD, they did reject as well. He can certainly protect their yield as he will make it clear he will attend. They also did not fill spring scholars so that they can fill with other applicants this year. I guess we will find out in April.

You could express interest in the Spring Scholar program with your AO as an option you would accept if you don’t get in RD. Also letter of continued interest that Tulane is still #1 choice and you would attend if admitted. I agree with others about getting excited about other schools percentage of deferred to RD is probably only a handful students.

2 Likes

He has already checked the box on the portal for spring scholar and continued interest. He will send an email after their winter break to his AO. We read the “I was deferred now what” blog on Tulane’s website and will do what it recommends. In the meantime he has other options that he will go visit and hopefully fall in love with.

1 Like

Hi, I meant early decision (ED).

I couldn’t find any information on the percentage of deferred students who get in during regular decisions. I was hoping it would be a higher percentage!

Tulane typically admitted very little of its incoming class in the RD round and deferrals from ED to RD were “rare.” According to their admissions blog, they are now experimenting with deferring more ED applicants and offering them a “Spring Scholar” option.

2 Likes

Tulane has both a new Dean of and Director of Admissions this cycle. Suffice it to say that the approaches and results of this cycle may not match those of recent cycles.

3 Likes

When sending a letter of continued interest would you send it just to your AO or also the Dean of admission? Or is there someone else it should also be sent to?

I would just send a loci via email to the AO. Also send first semester grades when those are updated, and any other new accomplishments. Has your S visited the campus? If not, I would also do that if at all feasible.

1 Like

Yes he went to visit in September. I will encourage him to participate on some virtual events again as well. The letter he received said to have his guidance counselor send mid year grades which won’t be official until end of January to the office of undergraduate admissions.

Would you send the LOI now or wait until they come back from winter break?