tulane or university of miami

<p>I liked both campuses and surrounding areas. Want opinion on which is the better school academically. I know they're tied in the rankings but feel Tulane may be perceived as a better school. Thoughts?</p>

<p>While I am certainly no fan of the USNews or other ranking systems they can be a guide as to perceived 'quality' of education. Last year was the LOWEST year that Tulane has ever had in terms of USNews ranking. It was probably one of the highest rankings UMiami has had from US News. Again, don't put too much stock into 'perception' of which school is better and both are fine schools. Tulane is perceived to be much better though. With record numbers of applications the last two years, both of which have not yet been factored into the rankings, Tulane will jump in the rankings. They doubled their number of applicants from 2005-06 to 2008. The ranking that has UMiami tied with Tulane is the ranking that directly reflects the post-Hurricane Katrina ranking (2006 figures.)</p>

<p>Also, look into the programs that you want to study. Tulane is much stronger in certain disciplines while Miami may be much stronger in other disciplines. It's even possible that the discipline you want to study isn't offered at one or the other.</p>

<p>My son was also deciding between these two schools. He chose UMiami and went there through his junior year and then transferred to a state school. I honestly don't think either UM or Tulane would have been totally right for him. Both good schools but tend to attract a very competitive, snobby population....he ended up looking for a more down to earth environment.</p>

<p>Frankly, I like both schools. In many ways, they are more alike than dissimilar. That said, I would NEVER send my kid to Tulane over Miami? Why?</p>

<p>The answer is simple: Tulane is in New Orleans. New Orleans is beneath sea level. The problem that they had can easily occur again. In fact, with the global warming occuring, it is likely that it WILL occur again. I don't want to take chances like that,which is one big reason to stay away from Tulane. I am sure that many people here will discount this potential problem,which I feel should be taken very seriously.</p>

<p>I agree with taxguy in that the decision is more about Nola vs Miami. Schools are almost equal unless there is some program that is special. Academically, doesn't Miami have more majors?
I would also add that air travel in and out of Miami is way better.</p>

<p>I don't want to get into a whole thing here about how ridiculous the whole hurricane thing is but I'm afraid I have to. </p>

<p>First of all, Miami was hit directly by Category 5 Hurricane Andrew in 1992. New Orleans has not been hit by a Category 5 hurricane directly. At least not in the last 70 years or so. Katrina, as those that know will tell you, did not even hit New Orleans. It hit East of the entire state of Louisiana and hit Mississippi instead. The damage done in New Orleans was due to failed levees built by the US Corp of Army Engineers. Those levees broke an ENTIRE DAY after the Hurricane had made landfall and was midway up into the state of Mississippi. If you want to make this an argument for failed levees, then fine. They have been rebuilding and intensifying the levees since 2005 though.</p>

<p>Second, Katrina was what they refer to as a 100-year storm, there's a reason for that. Guess why. </p>

<p>Third, Miami was also hit by Katrina. In fact, almost every storm that gets into the Gulf of Mexico passes directly over Miami and south florida before it hits the Gulf. If New Orleans is going to get hit by more hurricanes (which may happen, just not big boys like Katrina) then Miami is also going to get hit more. </p>

<p>Finally, it is possible that UMiami, that is a larger school will have more majors. That's why I suggested they consider what they want to study. That's a valid point, flyaround. If they want to study something common however, that may not be an issue, but they should still look into it. Tulane will also have programs that UMiami won't have although UMiami is much more likely to have more programs that TU won't. </p>

<p>You can't really go wrong with either school. I think the Hurricane issue is a non-issue unless you're comparing Notre Dame and Tulane ect. Miami and New Orleans are Hurricane-buddies. I also think both cities are too unique to pass up on because you're afraid of hurricanes, which have several days notice by the way. They aren't like earthquakes and tornados in that respect.</p>

<p>One last thing. It's the University of Miami Hurricanes and the Tulane University Green Wave. If you are that afraid of large aquatic storms don't go to either school! :)</p>

<p>If you go to University of Miami, you will find many students who were accepted to Tulane, but chose UM.</p>

<p>If you go to Tulane, you will find many students who were accepted to Miami, but chose Tulane.</p>

<p>The percent of students who applied and or were accepted to both schools is huge!</p>

<p>As a somewhat native New Orleanian, I'm not trying to make light of hurricanes or the concerns that parents have for their kids but I think the media has way over-played the need for concern. The year after Katrina, Warren Buffet invested heavily in Re-insurance which essentially was a bet that insurance companies would do well the following year because there would be no major claims filed (eg no major hurricanes.) He made a killing on that bet. Everyone else listened to the media who said that the 2006 year (the year after Katrina) would be even worse for hurricanes. The fact is, the 2005 season was the longest July to December ACTIVE hurricane season that I've seen in 17 years since I moved to New Orleans. 2006 was one of the lighter years with no hurricanes coming within a few hundred miles of New Orleans. These things come in cycles. Now, in 25-30 years, I might have more concern but we're back on a normal cycle for hurricanes. And again, you have a lot of warning for hurricanes and school is canceled at both Miami and Tulane in plenty of time to evacuate (at the school's expense.)</p>

<p>*I'm sorry to type so much about the hurricane issue but seeing as how both schools attract attention from students all over the country whose parents have no idea about hurricanes I thought I would try to reassure them that both schools are perfectly safe .</p>

<p>With the hurricane issue, I can't speak for New Orleans, but Miami-Dade County is THE most prepared county in the country for hurricanes. To us, after Andrew in 1992, no hurricane is bad enough. Everything from the building code to the traffic lights is primed for the worst the tropics can offer. Hurricane Andrew did not hit Miami directly either, but rather Homestead which is significantly south from the city of Miami and most of the populated part of the county. Plus, Hecht and Stanford Towers are two gigantic cinder block buildings reminiscent of fortresses. You won't even hear the storm and their power is linked to Doctors' Hospital meaning almost immediate return of power. The one main difference I can think of is that Miami does not flood nearly as badly as New Orleans; the flood waters have a place to go without the use of pumps.</p>

<p>MiaTon2009, thanks for the info on Miami. Andrew was so horrible I'm glad to hear all the new preparation and good that came out of it. New Orleans has learned its lesson about a lot of things with Katrina. Although the difference again is that the Big Easy wasn't even hit by the storm. I know New Orleans floods more than most cities in the world, certainly the US. And</a> the rainiest city in the U.S. is... - LiveScience- msnbc.com
The kind of flooding that happened with Katrina has never happened before though. Hopefully it won't again. The same way that cities in the North are prepared for the cold, New Orleans prepares for flooding very well and does have pumps in the really bad areas.</p>

<p>My son was at the U during the 04 (Charley, Ivan, Frances and Jeanne) season and the 05 (Katrina, Wilma, and Rita) seasons. While, yes.. I worried, the U was very responsive to both his concerns, if he in fact had any, and mine. As a member of the housing staff, he learned early on how well the university does during storm season. I wouldn't factor that into into any decision on whether or not to attend the U. </p>

<p>Best of luck with your decision.....</p>

<p>How much do you like football? That's basically the only difference between the schools.</p>

<p>Benetode, you missed the whole point of taxguys' post. He didn't say that NO was more likely to be hit by a hurricane than Miami. What he said was that NO is below sea level and therefore succeptible to disasterous results after a hurricane. Your post proves that point. Miami handled catagory 5s and NO was submereged even without a direct hit. I don't like the idea of living in a city in which the only thing standing between me and submersion is a dirt levy.</p>

<p>If it were me I'd go to Miami regardless of Katrina. Miami is a nicer city in my opinion and the school is just as good. There are also major sports to entertain the students and provide a reason to party. I think it is a more fun environment with equal or better academics.</p>