Turned down SUNY Binghamton EOP for regular admissions at another school. Did I lose out?

I was accepted into Bing’s EOP program, but decided not to go because I was accepted into a higher ranked school with better financial aid as a regular admit (by about $5000 less in loans a year). My family is telling me that I made the wrong decision by giving up my EOP standing and I’m starting to second guess myself. Did I miss out on a huge opportunity?

No. You got into a better school which also COSTS LESS. University of Rochester is an amazing school, and you just saved your parents $20k by going to a better school… Seems like a no brainer.

Tell your family members to be happy for you instead of making you anxious going into your first year of college, which can be a daunting step in it of itself.

You got into an elite, awesome school that costs less… No-brainer indeed! Perhaps your parents don’t realize how more prestigious than Bing UR is, and how much more you’ll get there in resources, support, opportunities…? You should however email UR about special services for first generation students, lower income students, etc. So that you have the same support as EOP would have provided. UR IQ a much richer school than Bing and thus has more resources to dedicate to its first gen students.

Thanks guys. In the back of my head I knew I made the right decision. Just needed an outside opinion!

No, you are not missing out on much. The only thing that you might miss out by not being in EOP is the fact that EOP people get a summer program to adjust to college and make friends with other EOP people. But it’s not worth spending the money or going to a lower ranked school. You made the absolute right decision.

@sprinkles12 Actually, they are letting me attend their summer program in order to get adjusted along with their HEOP students.

^PERFECT then!!!