U Miami

Does Miami (the Florida university) necessarily care if an applicant was not in National Honor Society? I am in Rho Kappa (social studies honor society) and the English honor society, and I have a 4.18 ish weighted GPA and a 32 on the ACT. My school is just really weird about how they accept people to NHS, so I was wondering if Miami would care or not if I was in it.

NHS is an extra-curricular like any other academic extra-curricular. It’s a “nice to have”, but having it or not having it will not guarantee anything either way.

@EDHDAD thanks! I agree

My school is weird about NHS too,I was not aprt of NHS and I was still accepted you’re all good

@bcp19 they don’t care much. Agree with EDHDAD, it’s like any other extracurricular. If you were in a leadership position or did something substantive in the organization, that would show leadership skills which College like. But you can show leadership in other organizations just as well. In my opinion the NHS has become of little value in recent years because so many students are in it. I think you only need a 85 or B average to be eligible. With grade inflation at high schools more than half the class qualifies for National Honors Society, rendering the NHS distinction meaningless.

Another thing to keep in mind about NHS is how varied the criteria to be accepted are from chapter to chapter. I agree with other posters that unless you held a major position and accomplished something, it really won’t matter much (if at all.)