U of I Urbana-Champaign, UWMadison, or UMN-TC for materials science and engineering

Hey all,
I am currently deciding between these 3 schools for Materials science and engineering. I have an interest in biomaterials, and all 3 are great schools with great research opportunities, and I don’t really care that much about rankings but they are all good enough. What do people know from experience/stories/etc in this major in these schools? I know that UIUC has a huge department for materials science, and I feel like that translates to less professor contact, and I know UMN is the exact opposite of my theory. What can you tell me about these departments? Also, what is the average GPA weighted to for the programs at UW-Madison and UIUC? I know that at UMN it is weighted to a B- average (2.7), so any and all information on these departments is helpful. Horror stories, anything, and everything. I would like the full enchilada of information.

Thank you all who can help me out!

Aside from the academics you mention be sure to consider the campus culture. Figure out where you want to spend your outside of class time. U of M is in a big city. UW is a great campus with a lake. UIUC is in the middle of cornfields- check on the campus itself. Do some research on lifestyles. See if any of the three excite you more than the others. Check on dorms/food, activities you may be interested in. Sometimes it is the little things that make/break an experience. Even the most studious person will do a lot more than just attend classes and study.