U of Wisconsin vs Emory

<p>I've been accepted to both universities, with nominal scholarship for U of Wisconsin as economics major and business minor. For Emory university, I'm hoping to study like there's no tomorrow, and get into Goizueta. The tuition fee difference is around 100,000 USD for four years. The fee itself doesn't really matter much, but which university would you recommend? I understand that Wisconsin has an excellent economics offering, but the overall ranking and undergraduate business program at Emory is a lot higher. Is the extra cost of going to Emory worth it?</p>

<p>US News business rankings have UW and Emory both ranked #12. The other rankings (Businessweek) are worthless. You can apply to UW business after two years.</p>

<p>Yes but US New also ranked Emory a lot higher in overall ranking, doesn't that greatly affect the intern and all the job offer? Condering Atlanta is a major international city?</p>

<p>The two schools are sooo different culturely that it's like comparing apples and oranges...Do you want a large, rah-rah school with tons of school spirit or do you want a school without much school spirit, but still have a great time? Also, how easy is it to be admitted to either B-school after two years?</p>

<p>I disagree with the statement in post #2 proclaiming BusinessWeek rankings to be worthless. BusinessWeek rankings offer a different perspective. Emory University has ranked at #4 & #5 the past two years. Wisconsin is #28.</p>

<p>The Bweek rankings have schools moving 10-15 places on one year. That is absurd as neither the school nor the students change much in one year. Their methodology is bogus relying heavily on student surveys than can easily be manipulated. If you want the real lowdown on Emory look it up at Urban Dictionary.</p>

<p>Urban</a> Dictionary: emory</p>

<p>The climate in Atlanta is much closer to that in Malaysia, you probably won't mind the heat there and you would have the experience of snowy winters in Madison. Private versus public and northern versus southern- different student bodies. Remember you are at the whole university as an undergrad, not just the business school. If money isn't an issue you can afford to be with moneyed students. Coming from overseas you do not have the cultural biases to deal with- it is all different for you. Consider why you chose each school and go for the top academic one if there are no clear other factors. Also consider that UW will have a much more liberal atmosphere, there is an education in that alone. As much as I love UW I can't steer you towards it, you have to want the campus. Good luck.</p>

<p>PS- do not focus on just studying during your years in the US- take advantage of all the college campus has to offer, you learn and grow through utilizing all facets of the school, one of the US education system's strengths.</p>

<p>//barrons
Yes I agree it's kind of absurd that the ranking for Businessweek changes so much annually, but I think the student surveys is still important (I'm not saying that BW is better than US News, because I believe that latter is far better hands down, but I think BW is still an ok for guidance), as it would show how much the students actually like about the university they're going to, which would mean active participation.</p>

<p>//wis75 do you know how the intern/job offers are after graduating from wisconsin with economics major and business minor?</p>

<p>Not my area of expertise but you can go to the L&S and business school sections of the UW website and search (I'm not good at links and also figure if you're capable you can find anything I can, I won't do your work for you). They don't do majors/minors at UW- you may want to check on a double major or the business certificate with an econ major. I've given you some key phrases to start your search. The undergraduate catalog is a good place to search.</p>

<p>Business for non majors will be a certificate program--not a minor. That gets you full access to the b school on campus recruiting system which is very good.</p>

<p>Certificate</a> in Business Frequently Asked Questions - UW-Madison School of Business</p>

<p>On the Bweek rankings, UW is ranked A A+ A+ yet ends up below schools with C B A rankings. Makes no sense.</p>

<p>the three grading scales is like "teaching quality grade", "facilities+service grade", and "job placement grade". As far as I know, the BW doesn't grade by those three criterias only, instead they do the surveys thing, the intern percentage, and the median starting salary also, which the UW is really weak against. This year's comment about UW was: "Students say recruiters are fans of the program, but too many classes are taught by TAs." This explains that the A+ for the job placement grade, but lower surveys and the faculty teaching grade.
And thanks you guys, after weeks of taking everything into consideration, I decided to go to Emory. No disrespect at all to UW since I know quite a few people attending that university. :)</p>

<p>The starting salary median is lower because many stay in Madison and Wisconsin where salaries and the COL are both MUCH lower than NY and other major cities. DUH. You can buy a nice house in Madison for $200K while in NY the same thing would be $1,000,000 so you can actually buy a house your first year working. Try that in NYC. Another reason that ranking is more BS than not.</p>

<p>/barrons
u should control your temper seriously.
i reported ur post as harassment. i think you should make ur own ranking if you think that ranking is total messed up.</p>

<p>barrons -- Seriously? You're referring kids to Urban Dictionary to make your point?
What even-handed, thoughtful, and authoritative sources you use.</p>

<p>Sometimes satires are pretty accurate. Sure the UD is a bit over the top but it also has some truth in this case. Things people should know because it may impact their fit there. The facts I pointed out in the post above are very clear and accurate. The COL in the midwest is MUCH lower than NY so any broad salary comparisons should include that fact. Sometimes you have to look a little deeper. Magazine writers are not always that smart.</p>