UA Board considers approving new $31.4 million academic building

<p><a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140205/NEWS/140209827?tc=cr#gsc.tab=0”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140205/NEWS/140209827?tc=cr#gsc.tab=0</a></p>

<p>Looks like the first new building on the newly acquired Bryce land. </p>

<p><a href=“News update: Castaway readmitted to hospital”>News update: Castaway readmitted to hospital; Update: Board offers preliminary approval for this new building. </p>

<p>“The Physical Properties Committee approved a resolution to begin preliminary planning work on a new 72,500-square-foot, two-story academic building with 12 classrooms and a large auditorium. The project would be funded with future revenue bonds. The new building would be located off Hackberry Lane on the old Bryce Hospital grounds near the engineering complex. The new building will have a seating capacity of 2,000.”</p>

<p>this runs counter to a poster’s earlier claim that Bama wasn’t going to be building any more academic bldgs. </p>

<p>I thought the new auditorium was part of the fine arts/performance (think opera and school of music) expansion out of Moody.</p>

<p>No, that it is a completely different project that hasn’t gained approval yet, but it is in the Campus Master Plan. </p>

<p>When the new fine arts/performance building is approved/built, does that suggest that the entire Music school will be moved as well? The school seems to be out-growing Moody.</p>

<p>They aren’t building a new building for the opera performance space. They renovated an existing building (I believe the “admissions” building) on the Bryce Campus. The opera performance this spring is supposed to be in the new space – the Bryant-Jordan Performing Arts Center. I don’t think that there are any plans to move the Music school as a whole out of Moody. </p>

<p>^^
Oh thanks. Are there pics?</p>

<p>Payingforcollege, that might be correct, however, I know that the Bryce Performing Arts Center was supposed to include an expansion of the building on the north side of the old main hospital, which I think used to the world’s largest building believe it or not. I have heard that some of the old buildings have been renovated, but have not seen any pics of their restoration. Would be cool to see since that area has been shrouded in mystery for years! When I was a student, no one even talked about Bryce. It was like an old crazy relative that we kept hidden in the attic, pardon the use of the word “crazy.”</p>

<p>As I understand it, it is a race against the clock to have the opera space ready for the performance the first weekend of March, so no pictures yet. The space isn’t even finished enough to have a proper rehearsal, though I do think that they were in there this week due to a conflict with the booking of their normal rehearsal space. I don’t know whether any other renovations to the building have taken place, but UA has been working on the building since last year, so it wouldn’t be surprising if they have done other renovations or additions as well. The Alabama Opera Theater is looking forward to its new home.</p>