UA iin the News

<p>UA engineering students show off safe room designs
FOX6 (Birmingham) – July 18</p>

<p>BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Gov. Robert Bentley opened the Safer Alabama Summit Monday at the University of Alabama Bryant Conference Center in Tuscaloosa. The summit brought together local communities, state and federal agencies, nonprofits, the private sector, and the public to identify resources to make Alabama safer.</p>

<p>Hosted by the Alabama Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, attendees at the summit included state and local officials, financial organizations, contractors, builders, engineers, academic and scientific departments, and organizations, insurance companies, trade associations and other stakeholders.</p>

<p>Different models of the safe room designed by University of Alabama engineering students were on display by FEMA today in Tuscaloosa. Designed by UA engineering students, the room about the size of a closet is tested to withstand an F-5 tornado.</p>

<p>**
UA biologists receive recognition for helping patients fight two diseases
ABC 33/40 (Birmingham) – July 13</p>

<p>…two University of Alabama biologists receive national recognition for helping patients with two diseases. This week, “Nature Communications” highlights research by Dr. Guy and Dr. Kim Caldwell. The husband and wife team are known for their work on Parkinson’s disease.</p>

<p>Touched by Nurses, Retired Judge Gives UA $100,000 for Nursing Scholarship</p>

<p>TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – It’s hard to impress a 90-year-old lawyer who, even after retiring as Tuscaloosa’s municipal judge in 1984, still comes into the office. Yet, Gordon Rosen was so impressed by the nurses who helped his brother that he donated $100,000 to Capstone College of Nursing at The University of Alabama to create an endowed scholarship.</p>

<p>“As I grew older I had more occasions to be in hospitals, especially with my oldest brother,” Rosen said. “I had seen nurses operate and came to appreciate the profession. It’s a calling. It’s a noble profession. If I can do anything to assist them, any financial help, that’s what I want to do.”</p>

<p>Rosen and his wife, Ann, decided to create the Gordon and Ann Rosen Endowed Nursing Scholarship to benefit incoming freshmen nursing students who meet academic requirements and have a financial need.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info!</p>

<p>Arghhhh…Typo in the title. :(</p>

<p>I really need to wear reading glasses when typing!</p>