University/Honors/Engineering/Tuscaloosa Report (Part 1)

My wife, my son, and I flew in from Phoenix to Atlanta on Saturday and drove to a northern suburb, where we visited with my brother. Mid-day Sunday, we drove to Tuscaloosa and checked into the Hampton Inn near the campus on Harper Lee Drive. The hotel was recently renovated and quite nice. The desk clerk said they are already booked solid for all 2016 home football weekends! We wanted to see the Strip on University Boulevard, so we drove there for dinner. It was pretty quiet after Thanksgiving weekend, but looked attractive and prosperous, with lots of student hangouts.

On Monday, after our complimentary breakfast, we loaded the car and drove over to park at Nott Hall for a short meeting with Susan Dendy. Susan passed out our updated itinerary for the day and then we walked over to Gate 25 at the south end of the Stadium for our campus tour. This was our 21st campus visit in the last four years, so we had lots to compare with. First, this was the only college to provide air-conditioned buses for the tour. For larger campuses, this was a blessing, even in December. If we had been visiting in August or September, I’m not sure we would have made it and certainly could not have covered as much time.

Our tour guide was Morgan a sophomore Capstone Woman. The Capstone Men and Women are selected to serve as official ambassadors of The University of Alabama. Morgan was bright, enthusiastic, and very knowledgeable. Our tour basically circled campus with several stops. Our overall impression is that Alabama’s campus shows very well. The grounds and older buildings are very well maintained. There has been a tremendous amount of recent construction and UA has done a great job of integrating the new buildings into the red brick and white traditional architecture. Another father on the tour said that he had graduated in 1995 and barely recognized the place. UA has also tried to avoid too much sprawl by replacing older campus-service buildings with classroom and student facilities. The service buildings then get relocated to the perimeter instead of the new buildings. Overall, although Alabama has grown to record size, it still feels like a much smaller campus and is still walkable.

Our first stop was at the Ridgecrest South Dormitory. This is one of the newer suite-style residential complexes, which represent about two-thirds of student housing. The Ridgecrest complex is used for honors housing, but Morgan assured us that the other new complexes, such as Lakeside complex and the brand-new Presidential Village, are just as nice if not nicer. In any event, Ridgecrest South was the nicest dorm we have visited on all our trips, even nicer than the Arizona State Barrett Honors College dorms! Each four-person suite features separate bedrooms for each student, two-shared bathrooms, and a common area with a couch, dining table, and kitchenette, including a microwave and full-size refrigerator.

Our next stop was the 200,000 square foot Student Recreation Center, originally built in 1983, but renovated several times since. It has all the bells and whistles: weight equipment, aerobic equipment, indoor 1/8-mile track, climbing wall, two large gyms, 12 courts, indoor and outdoor pools (including lazy-river) saunas, and more. Membership is included in tuition. There is also a new 85,000 square foot Student Activity Center conveniently located in the new Presidential Village residential complex, which provides many of the same facilities to students living in the northern part of campus.

Campus buses (Crimson Ride) are free for students and seemed to run frequently. The Crimson Ride routes include multiple campus routes, a perimeter route, and off-campus transportation. They also offer a shuttle service to and from the Birmingham Airport during campus breaks. With more than one-half of new students coming from out-of-state, this is a real plus.

Our tour started at the 102,000-seat Bryant-Denny Football Stadium, most recently renovated in 2010. On our tour, we went by many of the campus athletic buildings, which were also very impressive (at least from the outside), including those for gymnastics (two-time defending SEC champs), swimming, and softball. The new baseball stadium opens this spring. The tennis complex hosts many national tournaments. Sports are obviously huge at Alabama. They are a real bargain for students to attend. Student football tickets are just $10 per game and all other sports events are free.
Our bus tour concluded on University Avenue at the Denny Chimes, UA’s bell tower, where we started a short walking tour through the Quad. The tower is surrounded by the Walk of Fame, concrete slabs imprinted with the hand and shoes of Alabama football captains going back 1947. It’s fun to look for famous alums like Joe Namath, Ozzie Newsome, and Amari Cooper.

The Quad is much like those at other universities, a large open space surrounded by older campus buildings. At the north end, stands Gorgas Library, a handsome, pillared building serving as the main campus library. We continued walking north to the Ferguson Student Center, a huge building that serves as the student union. It was renovated just last year, and includes an art gallery, film theater, meeting rooms, and a food court with Wendy’s, Panda Express, Chick-fil-A, Topios, Union Market, Subway, and Auntie Anne’s Pretzels. Downstairs there’s a bookstore, apparel store, and the world’s largest Starbucks.

Nice report! :-bd

Great summary.

I’m sorry to hear that the eng’g tour didn’t happen! That would have been a wonderful highlight!

Was that part of the tour arranged thru honors or thru eng’g?

Great report. Originally my son’s tour was scheduled to end with a aerospace professor from engineering, but we emailed back and specifically asked for a tour of the engineering facilities/labs and they added it to the tour. They had a aerospace senior give him a tour and answer any questions he had.

For any families planning an upcoming tour, they are very accommodating, don’t be afraid to ask for anything specific you may want to see :slight_smile:

Our tour concluded across a small plaza at the Student Service Center, another new building housing Admissions, Financial Aid, and the Registrar. There we got a presentation from the Admissions Office. All the information is available on line (http://gobama.ua.edu/), so I won’t repeat it here. The meal plan is a bargain compared to many colleges, so I will summarize it. The basic plan is $1715 per semester and includes unlimited dining and $325 in Dining Dollars that can be spent at dining outlets around campus such as Starbucks and Subway. A student can also upload funds into his BAMA Cash Account, which can be spent with the student’s action card at many locations around and off campus, including CVS and Walgreens.

We next walked north to the Lakeside Dining Center where we were treated to a nice lunch with Hunter, a senior Honors student from Birmingham. He is participating in Alabama’s STEM Path to MBA. Hunter will graduate in five years with a BS in Mathematics and an MBA. Hunter talked with us more about Alabama and answered questions. The Dining Center was one of the nicest we have seen, with multiple food stations for sandwiches, grilled food, salads, pasta, pizza, and other options. Our food was quite good.

Our next meeting was back to Nott Hall for two Honors College meetings. The first was a private meeting with Dr. Sharpe, Dean of the Honors College. Dr. Sharpe was very impressive and interacted very well with our son. He does not like to ask questions, but Dr. Sharpe did a great job drawing out his interests and expectations. Before being appointed Dean, Dr. Sharpe led the University’s Computer Based Honors Program and he strongly encouraged our son to apply. CBH focuses on teaching Alabama’s top scholars research skills, including those relying on computer software.

We next attended a general Honors presentation downstairs by Jordan Hall, along with three other sets of parents and students. Jordan is a recent Honors graduate and very enthusiastic. He focused on the four pillars of the Honors College, Innovative Scholarship, Advanced Research, Civic Engagement, and Cultural Interaction: http://honors.ua.edu/about-honors/our-four-pillars/

Our final stop was our only disappointment, a meeting with a mechanical engineering professor in H.M. Comer Hall. I won’t name him, because he was a last minute substitution for the person who was supposed to meet with us, who was in turn a substitute. The professor simply went through with us a folder containing engineering handouts. We did not get any tours. This was disappointing because Alabama’s new engineering buildings are huge and cluster around a quad to the east of H.M. Comer. These include Shelby Hall, the North Engineering Research Center, the South Engineering Research Center, the Science and Engineering Complex, and the Rodgers Library for Science and Engineering. All have been built since 2004, compared to H.M. Comer Hall, which dates to 1962. The office told us that anyone interested in touring Engineering should contact Lynsey Dill, the Coordinator of Student Recruitment (ldill@eng.ua.edu, 205-348-2547), and not rely on the Honors College to set up the tour.

Alabama is clearly trying to elevate the Engineering College. New Alabama President Bell holds a PhD in Nuclear Engineering from Texas A&M. In addition to the new facilities, the admitted-student profile continues to rise. The 25/75 percentiles are 27/32 for the ACT and 1160/1390 for the SAT. This compares very well with top engineering colleges like those at Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa State, Florida, and Virginia Tech. Alabama is aggressively hiring tenured faculty. In addition to the merit scholarships awarded to top admitted students, the Engineering College awards up to $2500 per year. http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/

Finally, I would like to share our overall impressions of Tuscaloosa. The city population is about 100,000 and growing, with lots of new shopping locations. We saw Sam’s Club, Super Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Pet’s Smart. Our son made an interesting observation. He said that he saw Confederate Flags in Ohio and Indiana, but not one in Tuscaloosa!

Late Monday afternoon, we headed back to Atlanta to stay near the airport for our Tuesday-morning flight. Dad was pretty tired when we got home, but a good-night’s sleep in a familiar bed fixed that.

@mom2collegekids Honors arranged the engineering part of our visit.

FYI: The Rodgers Science Library is not new. It was built around 1990. But it blends well with the new buildings.

Also, there is a plan to renovate and expand the north side of the Gorgas Library, to accommodate the growth in the student body. Right now, it has a rather pedestrian appearance amidst more beautiful structures close by. Once done, it will be a really attractive addition to the core campus. The project has been on hold for several years, but should begin in a year or two.

The tour sounds exactly like ours back in July. We had to ask for a tour of the engineering buildings and the ME prof gladly obliged. I think the key is asking but they did not let us into the football stadium, which I was disappointed.

Thank you! This is a great report.

@raven2016 Entrance into the stadium is tightly controlled for security reasons.

Beaudreau: Really enjoyed hearing about your family’s visit to UA! 21 campuses in the last 4 years … wow!!

@mom2collegekids - yes, that is why we figured. Thanks

“Entrance into the stadium is tightly controlled for security reasons”

Thats funny. Back in September while visiting our son, we dedicided to take the stadium tour. Have to book a day in advance and is quite a nice tour. Two gentlemen came in and wanted to join the group but the tour leader explained why they couldn’t. Later in the tour, while in the press box area, I look down to the field and see these two guys out on the field! I said to the tour guide that I guess those two guys are doing their own tour. She can’t believe they are out there on their own. Where there is a will, there is a way I guess. So much for security that day.

We also had a great and similar visit to Tuscallosa in October. So well orchestrated, and a real class act program. We’re from Phoenix as well.

When we met with Dr. Van Zee of the Chemical Engineering program, he even took the time to show us his lab and distillation tower. We next went to Duke, which was not at all impressive compared to Bama. The personal attention, the facilities, and the CBH Honor students they introduced us to is what surprised us most. Impressive all around.

@Beaudreau Thanks for the trip report, sounds very much like our wonderful experience (sadly, we didn’t get to meet Dr. Sharpe - he was away on a business trip). The CBH and honors programs are top notch!

I have a question for parents. My DS has Alabama ranked number 1 for 2017 admissions and we are starting to plan our visits. He too is planning on being in the Honors college, engineering and doing research. We are planning a visit in March. Two questions-- how early do we make contact to schedule our visits and if DS wants to sit in on a class how would we arrange that. Thanks in advance.

My ds arranged sitting in on classes with the dept’s UG advisor.

Thanks. I’ll do that.

BUSYDOCMOM, your area will also have a recruiter from Alabama, unlike most schools, that lives in the region and acts as a contact. Our recruiter set up the whole personalized visit for us this past Oct. Alabama does a good job at this. You can find the recruiter for your area on the admissions page and contact him or her.