UA vs UAH

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I am an international student planning to apply to both UA and UA Huntsville. I would apply as either a chemical engineering major or physics. I hear that UAH has a strong science/engineering program due to its connectons with NASA, etc, but I see that it is significantly ranked lower than UA in general. Also, UA’s engineering school is ranked higher than that of UAH. (UA- ranked 88, UAH- ranked 181)</p>

<p>My SAT score is 1490 (M+CR) and my UW GPA is 3.76, Weighted: 4.21. I am elligible for UA’s full tuition scholarship (would have to pay 7000ish dollars for room, board meal plan ,etc). I am also elligible for UAH’s full tuition + room scholarship. I would pay less than 2000 dollars. </p>

<p>My question is, is it worth choosing UAH over UA?</p>

<p>I know that rankings are not accurate in measuring the quality of schools. However, the vast difference in rankings between the two schools is a bit concerning. Due to my family’s financial situation, we would barely be able to afford UA, while we wouldn’t have much problem affording UAH. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<hr>

<p>"(UA- ranked 88, UAH- ranked 181)"</p>

<p>Not the engineering school, but in general according to US news. Just wanted to clarify</p>

<p>If you didn’t have to take into account cost, UA would likely be the better choice, based on Chemical Engineering being something of a strength at UA, while Mechanical/Aerospace is UAH’s strongest engineering major. </p>

<p>However, since cost is a major factor, I’m sure you’ll find UAH is a solid choice for engineering (as well as the physics program). In fact, UAH’s engineering grad school is ranked slightly higher than UA’s. Nothing wrong with choosing an engineering program based on what your family can afford. </p>

<p>Do you have to decide now? Can you apply to both and later make a decision?</p>

<p>My younger son is in his first year at UAH, and he loves it. The dorms are nice. The food is excellent (he would tell you that Fried Chicken Wednesdays and the peach/cherry cobbler rock!). The classes are challenging. There are plenty of things to do on campus and around Huntsville. As for prospects for internships, co-ops, etc., there are many available. You can intern in many cases as a freshman.</p>

<p>That said, he had a chance to attend UA but turned it down for two reasons – he just missed the Presidential scholarship (which meant student debt when he graduated) and he wanted to run cross country/track. He loves UA – his older brother is a graduate. But, UAH offered him more of what he sought in a college. He is studying mathematics and economics and plans to graduate with his masters in four years.</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa is a college town, but Huntsville is not. Tuscaloosa will offer the atmosphere that most Americans think of when they think “college.” </p>

<p>However, as an international student, you might not be interested in football and “greek” life and things like that. If what you really want is an excellent school where you can focus on academics, and your future, then UAH might be better. The city of Huntsville is the technology center of the state of Alabama with lots of employment and research opportunities. The city is also clean and safe, as well as not too big and not too small. UAH is located close to almost everything good about the city (there is next to nothing going on downtown although it is nice enough).</p>

<p>You can’t really go wrong with either one. But from a purely economic standpoint UAH not only is cheaper for you but Huntsville also is a great place to get an technology job after you graduate.</p>

<p>P.S. Personally, I am one of those people who believes that rankings are more dangerous than helpful. Still, according to Forbes, UA is ranked #335 in the country, overall, compared to UAH at #466. I don’t consider that to be a large difference. I have seen a school go from being #375 down to #210 in a single year. The college itself did not change that much. It’s just that at this range the schools are not all that different and slight statistical shifts can move the college a lot.
<a href=“Forbes America’s Top Colleges List 2022”>Forbes America’s Top Colleges List 2022;

<p>I’m an international as well.</p>

<p>I was kinda in your situation last year. I chose UA, but I guess UAH would have been a good choice as well.</p>

<p>However, keep in mind that as an international, your options might be limited. Many research programs do not accept foreign aliens. Finding employment post graduation is tricky as well because your employer must be willing to go through the trouble of filing a work visa for you. So, the city of Huntsville might not benefit you as much as some might think. But the money is nice, ya?</p>

<p>UA offers the STEM path to MBA, as well as the university scholars program, you might consider those. If you come in with lots of AP credits, you can try to get a Master’s in 4 years. A master’s might or might not help you in the work place, but it will definitely aid in getting past the immigration office. </p>

<p>You can do a masters in four years at UAH. My son came in with 56 credits from AP/dual enrollment classes, so he has more than enough time to do his masters in four years. That said, as an international student, if you are concerned about research program acceptance, why not e-mail UAH and ask? There are career counselors in the engineering school, as well as any of the schools at UAH, who can answer those questions. </p>