UArts MT transfer

<p>I was accepted as a musical theatre major as a transfer student (with four semesters left to complete) at both UArts (BFA) and SUNY New Paltz (BA). I would prefer UArts because I have heard extraordinary things about the program, city and people. I received an annual $10,000 scholarship to UArts but it is still very expensive so I am really thinking long and hard about this. </p>

<p>So, I have a handful of questions that I was hoping you guys could try to answer for me:
What are the “pros” and “cons” of UArts’ program and how does it compare to other colleges?
What are/were your experiences at UArts?
I heard living off-campus is cheaper. What is like living off-campus?
What are the classes like and approximately how large are the classes?
Are there other scholarships available to make it more affordable?
How are the professors?
What is the typical day like as a musical theatre major?
What else is good to know as a transfer student?</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch!</p>

<p>If you send me your email address in a pm, I will pass it along to my D. She will be home on Saturday night after finishing her first year at UArts. She knows several transfer students in the first and second year, and just finished securing an off campus apartment, so she should be able to answer most of your questions.</p>

<p>I just emailed you with my email address.
Thank you so much! I really, really appreciate it!</p>

<p>Email didn’t get through, so I will tell you what my D said:
Pro’s: D loves the fact that individuality is celebrated. The kids are all sizes and shapes and types. She says that the training is well balanced, between acting (classes are with the BFA actors), voice (private voice, piano, theory, acting the song), and dance (she had ballet, jazz and tap this semester), although it probably isn’t the program for an expert dancer. She likes the performance opportunities. There are 5-6 main stage shows per semester, and several student run smaller shows. She feels like she has made great strides this semester. She has enjoyed her time outside of classes. She has joined the theater honor sorority, and made the performing troupe of the school improv club.</p>

<p>Cons: She had not had time for band or choral groups, and misses both. She does miss having a traditional campus, although center city philly is fun. The program has expanded its freshman class in the last year, although class sizes have not increased. D says the cafeteria food is meh.</p>

<p>D cannot compare to other programs, as she has not attended others except for auditions.</p>

<p>Classes generally go from around 8:30 am to 4:30 or 5 pm with some breaks. Rehearsals are at night. Pretty busy, but similar at most programs. There are around 10-12 kids per class, maybe up to 15-18 in the general ed classes. </p>

<p>It is cheaper living off campus. The area around Uarts is loaded with apartments, and there is no problem finding one. The school has a website, but craigslist is great too. You can search on a map to see what is close. Usually, a 12 month rental off campus is cheaper than a 9 month dorm contract.</p>

<p>D has a nice academic/talent scholarship also, but doesn’t know if anything else is available. Jobs on campus are for work study kids, although she has been hired as a tutor for music theory and piano next year.</p>

<p>D knows several transfer students, and doesn’t think that they are treated any differently than others. They seem happy.</p>

<p>Let me know if I can pass on any other questions to her.</p>

<p>4inoregon, I cannot thank you and your daughter enough. Thanks to the help and feedback you both have supplied me with, I’ve decided to commit to attending UArts! And I am so incredibly excited!! Again, my sincerest gratitude and warmest regards.
Take care!</p>

<p>Congratulations and welcome to the Uarts family!</p>