UC A-G G Classes

Hi all,

I looked at the UC website for the G courses and it says, “Honors-level elective courses categorized specifically in the (G) subject area will demonstrate distinctive features that set them apart from non-honors coursework covering the same discipline(s). UC honors-level elective (G) courses must also meet the general A-G honors-level course criteria.”

I don’t completely understand this. When would I select a course as G as opposed to another category like A-F. For example, when would I ever select an English course as a G instead of a B? Could this be like a college level Midwestern Literature class?

Thank you!

Are you in state or OOS?

From the UC website:

G) College-preparatory elective

UC-approved high school courses

One year (two semesters) chosen from courses specific to the elective (G) subject area or courses beyond those used to satisfy the requirements of the A-F subjects.

College courses

Grade of C or better in transferable college courses of at least 3 semester (4 quarter) units beyond those listed above as clearing any of the “A-F” requirements.

Edit to add another resource:
This is the guide for schools creating G courses. It has a list of types of courses that might count as G. Have you taken any of these courses? UC A-G Policy Resource Guide

Courses specifically approved in the G subject area include those such as political science, economics, geography, humanities, psychology, sociology, anthropology, journalism, speech or debate, computer science, computer programming and others or be interdisciplinary in nature, drawing knowledge from two or more fields.

I’m OOS – Minnesota. Does this mean I wouldn’t have any G courses? I took College economics, geography, speech, and computer science but I thought they did into the sections of A-F.

Economics usually goes in the G category. All the CA HS’s that I looked up categorize it as a G subject like AP Macro and Micro Econ.

G category as posted by @lkg4answers can also be any class listed in the A-F category above the minimum required.

Don’t worry. As mentioned above, any extra A-F units fulfill the G requirement. So you don’t need to have any courses specifically categorized as G, as long as your A-F units exceed requirements.

We’re in CA, my son had only one semester categorized as G (economics) and the remainder was A-F. It was fine.