UC Admissions Process for International Applicants

<p>Hey</p>

<p>I am starting this thread to clear a few things about the UC admissions process, specifically for intn’l applicants like me, since I couldn’t find a post/thread which satisfactorily addressed my queries.</p>

<p>a) Is the UC admission process biased towards Intn’l Applicants? I understand that they give preference to resident applicants, but can being an intn’l applicant significantly hurt your chances?</p>

<p>b) What is UC policy when it comes to awarding Financial Aid to intn’l students? I intend to seek FA</p>

<p>c) Are the course requirements for international students same as that for resident applicants?
[A-G</a> courses | UC Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/index.html]A-G”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/index.html)
Our curriculum in India is slightly different.</p>

<p>d) Does the absence of AP scores significantly hurt your chances? I know they can bolster an application, but does not having them go against you?</p>

<p>e) Quote from UC website:</p>

<p>[|</a> UC Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/international/applying-for-admission/index.html]|”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/international/applying-for-admission/index.html)</p>

<p>“Freshman applicants are students who have:completed their secondary education and have earned a certificate of completion which enables them to be admitted to a university in their home country. never been enrolled full-time as a college or university student”</p>

<p>In India, i will be writing my class 12 cbse board exams (a school leaving exam) in March 2014, the scores of which are usually declared sometime after May.
Am I eligible to apply before I receive my result? or can I apply while still in 12th and send in my 9th, 10th 11th and 12th grade school exam transcripts and grades along with predictive grades in the 12th board exam, like I would do for other universities in the US.</p>

<p>[P.S A little something about myself- I am from india, presently in 11th grade, will start 12th grade in March 2013. I am pursuing the science stream in 11th and 12th with the following subjects: Math Phy Chem Bio and Eng. In grades 9 and 10, I had the following subjects- Social Sciences Science Math Hindi and Eng.</p>

<p>I intend to pursue Molecular Biology (or related Subjects) at any of the following univs:
UCB
UCLA
UC Davis
UC san diego</p>

<p>It would nice if someone familiar with the Indian education system and the UC admission process can address my queries.</p>

<p>I also appreciate any advice or comments or opinions anyone will be willing to share.</p>

<p>Also, i made this post in the official chances thread in the UC forums. If you can spare some time and go over there and rate my chances…i would appreciate it.</p>

<p>That’s it I guess, hope I am not forgetting anything.</p>

<p>Thank you to anyone who takes time to answer my questions.</p>

<p>a) Is the UC admission process biased towards Intn’l Applicants? I understand that they give preference to resident applicants, but can being an intn’l applicant significantly hurt your chances?</p>

<p>UCs prefer California residents, then OOS, then international applicants. International applicants have the lowest priority because they are also the lowest yield (very few admitted international applicants choose to enroll at the UCs).</p>

<p>b) What is UC policy when it comes to awarding Financial Aid to intn’l students? I intend to seek FA</p>

<p>No financial aid at all. There might be some merit scholarships available, but it depends on what is available at the particular UC campus. Generally, don’t expect to get any money from the UCs if you are an international applicant (in order to study in the U.S. as an international student, you must meet the financial guarantee requirements, so there is technically no reason for you to seek financial aid).</p>

<p>c) Are the course requirements for international students same as that for resident applicants?
A-G courses | UC Admissions
Our curriculum in India is slightly different.</p>

<p>Yes, you should do your best to meet a-g requirements. The UCs understand that you are obviously not going to take U.S. History, but you should complete at least two years of social studies appropriate in your country to meet the “a” requirement.</p>

<p>d) Does the absence of AP scores significantly hurt your chances? I know they can bolster an application, but does not having them go against you?</p>

<p>UCs always say that lacking something is viewed as neutral. However, if passing AP scores are favored, then, by definition, lacking passing AP scores will hurt you. As far as I’m concerned, you can’t favor one set of applicants without hurting the other applicants.</p>

<p>Thank you. I have met(will have met them by the time I finish grade 12)all the a-g requirements, if courses like US History aren’t taken into account cause I have 2 years of social studies.</p>

<p>The absence of need-based aid for intn’ls and also the fact that UC’s assign intn’ls the lowest priority…may force me to rethink my choices. </p>

<p>But thank you for taking time out to answer my questions.</p>

<p>Can someone clear issue (e) for me. Can I apply to the Univ. while still in grade 12 or do I have write my boards and then wait for the CBSE to issue my result…?</p>

<p>You can apply, give your predicted scores, and you have until july 15th to send in your final CBSE scores.
Although you might have an issue, as you don’t have 13 years of education.</p>

<p>You should try emailing admissions, they reply really fast!</p>

<p>@eagerlywaiting.</p>

<p>Thanks. Writing to admissions seems like a good idea…will do that.</p>

<p>@amoghsood</p>

<p>I got your message, sorry i couldnt reply personally as I am a new member and apparently i need to post 15 times before i send personal messages.</p>

<p>Anyhoo,</p>

<p>Hey! Its good that you PM’ed me! I feel some what useful. </p>

<p>Well, im also born in india (havent’ lived there though), so i know a few people struggling to get to America. For example, my cousin, also has 12 years of education, therefore he now has to go to local college for 1 year then transfer to America.
Thats you you can make up for it.</p>

<p>i dont think kindergarden counts but you really should call up the admissions office of the college you’re applying to and talk to them! It wont take long. Or email, they usually reply in 1-3 days!</p>

<p>Hope that helps!
Let me know if you need any more help, as i might be just a step ahead of you. Just applied and waiting for results!</p>