UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Wrap this all up with a bow of mandatory increases in acceptances for CA residents and UC Cal can’t win. On one hand they are being told they must accept more CA residents and the state government has allocated money to offset financial losses from OOS students, then residents sue to prevent them from admitting more students. My daughter is an OOS applicant, so I feel like her application is doomed. It may be time to move on and focus on private school admission decisions.

6 Likes

Has Cal notified all its Regent Scholars already for Fall 2022?

I believe so.

From a cost standpoint, she should focus on the private schools as out of state residents receive little to no financial aid from the UCs.

UC Berkeley goes by many names. Some refer to it as Cal or California but both of those tend to be used more at sporting events. Some call it UC Berkeley or UCB but it is never called UC Cal. :blush:

1 Like

Is there a Facebook group for incoming UCB freshmen?

The CA Supreme Court is not due to meet again until March 1st. And there is nothing on their calendar about this case. Assuming this would require some kind of emergency session. Anyone have any insight to the Court updates?

1 Like

Since this is really a zero sum game, I’m guessing those 5k offers will (mostly) get UCLA, which will then bump to UCSD, and UCI and UCSB… and ultimately, hurt those people who might have gone to Riverside or Merced…

1 Like

For my D22’s high school, the acceptance rate for UCB was higher than UCLA, 30% vs 17%

I asked a family friend who is a lawyer, and he said a petition for writ of mandate is an emergency request, so the Court does not have to be in session (like for oral argument) to review it and issue a ruling.

2 Likes

It would be interesting if UCB notify the 5,000 students that didn’t get the admission because of the lawsuit.

Would that would open the door for new lawsuits?

The ruling/Lawsuit just didn’t happen overnight. I believe there should have been a press release or legal statement attached to the UCB application notifying potential applicants (Before they applied) of the pending legal case and the possible effects it might have on future enrollments/Acceptances.

5 Likes

I thought they sent the email to all applicants, not just 5k odd

They did sent it to all applicants from what we heard. And current Cal parents as well. I believe what the OP meant was if they do have to cut admissions offers by 5,100, what would happen if they notified those 5,100 that “we were going to give you an offer of admission but due to the pending lawsuit we are unable to at this time.”

Ah ok, thank you for clarifying

I was thinking the same thing. The initial ruling was in August - before applications opened. I would think that Berkeley would have Plan A and Plan B admissions lists. I imagine the other UCs have been planning for it as well.

Granted CC isn’t as busy as it has been in the past but we haven’t heard much about MET and GMP admissions. Have they gone out and accepted students aren’t posting on CC or did Berkeley already cut back on the number of admitted students?

2 Likes

There are some posts on Reddit that all MET have gone out. Not sure about GMP - no talk that I saw.

2 Likes

I find it strange that Berkeley didn’t disclose this to prospective applicants even though they knew about it in Aug. That would have helped parents like me (OOS so already lower chance of getting in) to make a more informed decision whether to apply or not.

8 Likes

I smell another lawsuit brewing…
(from applicants)

3 Likes

GMP has students studying abroad for the first semester. They could be holding off on those acceptances until they know with certainty that travel will be possible.

I saw one student who applied to Sciences Po get accepted early but it sounds like they may have been accepted into Berkeley and not Po. Could be the same thing - that they are offering a spot regardless of whether they will be able to travel.

I totally agree! The impending legal decision will make UCB a “REACH” school for a large portion of OOS applicants…Resulting in an uphill battle if not impossible OOS admission odds.

1 Like