UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

If Cal were to do that, they’d need some sort of 1-year reimbursement from the state to cover the loss of tuition. I mean, the loss of overall tuition is bad enough. I can’t imagine them cutting all OOS/Int’l tuition. This whole thing sucks.

3 Likes

While that approach would be better from an optics/PR perspective it would be worse from a revenue perspective. After all UCB, like all other big popular state schools, gets a big chunk of $$ from OOS and international. That’s where the money is.

So I suspect they’ll split the 5,000 between in-state and out in a way that minimizes revenue impact.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Not really. The legislature can easily provide the shortfall to UCB, and there are legislative mechanisms to accomplish it rapidly.

1 Like

Ok, that’s good to know. They will have to do it soon as UCB’s decision date is coming up soon.

As they should. But “prioritize” is not the same as “the entire 5,000 will be from OOS and international”. Maybe it’ll work out that way if the money comes through from the legislature - but just saying as of right now that’s not a given.

1 Like

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/UC-Berkeley-must-withhold-thousands-of-acceptance-16974853.php

From Dr Sun

17 Likes

Most hopeful post on this topic I have seen today. Thank you!

5 Likes

I’m making some assumptions from the the email (attached)
sent from the Chancellor to current students. The main takeaway is the that UCB is going to try to enroll 8000+ Freshmen for the 2022-23 school year, one way or another.

1. Admission decisions are complete. “…[the ruling] is devastating news for the students who have worked so hard for and have earned an offer of a seat in our fall 2022 class.”

2)UCB is expecting a lot of students to be online. In 2020, 6000+ kids did a year online, including 1400 OOS/Int’l students. I think UCB expects to get more than 1400 non-residents to do online classes for at least a semester. “[we will be] increasing online enrollment…”

3)They will push the fill up the on-campusfreshmen student body with CA residents, and any additional CA residents that they cant offer on campus education to, they will offer Jan 2023 admission to.

#3 is tricky because it assumes attrition and a satisfying result to the UC v Berkeley Neighborhoods case

But the main takeaway is that Cal is going to try to get their 7500-8000 enrolled (or Spring 2023 committed) students.

8 Likes

I’m seeing multiple sources suggesting UCB is trying to leverage online learning in the Fall, as shown in the Sun post above, to reduce the immediate impact, letting kids come to campus in teh Spring…

Rep Weiner has also proposed legislation that would make colleges exempt from the environmental laws that are being leveraged.

2 Likes

Wonder if the future is satellite campus + online = hybrid. And if this is acceleration towards that.

Another speculation is that the online learning that is offered may be like the FPF program, where there is only a limited amount of class offerings for the virtual group. In fact, FPF may even run the online learning. This would make sense, as many in-person lecture classes aren’t set up to allow for online students to participate fully and equally.

https://fpf.berkeley.edu/

1 Like

As they should be. We pay taxes in this state and our kids should be able to attend our UCs.

18 Likes

UC Berkeley will boost the number of Californians and significantly reduce out-of-state and international students this fall as it scrambles to meet a [court-ordered enrollment cap]

8 Likes

Honestly, it is only fair to prioritize CA residents. But how will that help? Are they hoping that residents that live within commuting distance will live at home? I’m just curious what their thought process is.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Please, please, please!!! Says a Mom who lives 4 miles away.

1 Like

We live about 15 miles away, but my DD would still want to live there if she were lucky enough to be admitted.

3 Likes

It doesn’t help Berkeley much. But it helps Californians who work and pay taxes in this great state of California. Therefore, our qualified students should be considered FIRST before any OOS or International students. Whether they choose to live on campus or not. There are advantages to keeping our kids in state for college. In state tuition, cal grants, the middle class grants etc. All of this is forfeited if I have to send my student OOS.

11 Likes