UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

I completely agree, of course. I’m just wondering why now? In my opinion, it should always be that way, not just when there is a admissions crisis.

3 Likes

Universities such as UCB have an interest in diversity, which includes regional diversity and international perspectives. We in California—especially Bay Area—live in a bubble of sorts. The last thing we want is to fortify this bubble with a sign that reads: “No Outsiders Allowed!” There has to be a better way.

16 Likes

I would feel similarly if I were a CA resident, but I think I saw somewhere that a minuscule portion of UCB funding comes from the State of CA – and a meaningful portion coming from OOS/international students. If so, and while CA taxes are high, they seem to be not utilized on the UCB --proportionally, at least. I also think the Regents – as trustees - need to have the university system’s goals and well-being in mind. If State of CA promised to make up the shortfall stemming from this unfortunate court decision, it is a different matter but if not, I am not sure why the Regents would go along with restricting the OOS, at least. In any case, this has really soured the enthusiasm of prospective OOS applicants. Not fair to them, at all but here we are. I am convinced that UCB will overcome this issue and remain a great college but our kids applying now are literally the victims. Good luck to all!

4 Likes

Texas does the same thing. It is good that they are prioritizing California students.

10 Likes

I agree 100% with your opinion. And in a normal situation when we don’t have a housing crisis, I would say bring in everyone. But this situation is entirely different. The UCs are receiving more apps than ever. Our own in state qualified students are fighting for the few spots they have. Parents simply can’t afford to send their kids out of state. So, a rejection could mean a qualified student doesn’t attend college. A qualified student whose parents worked and paid high California taxes all their lives.

17 Likes

Since 2016/2017, 12% of the general fund is used for higher education in CA.
Perhaps it is not the lack of schools available in CA, but the desire that the top schools to be largely available to only CA residents. I’m sure objections would be not as fierce if we were talking about UC Merced.

4 Likes

Great point!

According to this link, Cal now receives 14% of their budget from the State of CA.

https://calfund.berkeley.edu/

And according to this report (a little dated), Cal receives over 11% of its revenue from nonresident tuition. Any decreases to that revenue segment must be made up somewhere. :woman_shrugging:t2: It’s a conundrum.

Maybe that’s why Cal began a $6 Billion fundraising campaign:

And this info has been public for some time, UCB, UCLA and UCSD received more money to reduce OOS admissions last year.

3 Likes

it is becoming harder for oos folks like us!

1 Like

This whole- we pay in state taxes thus deserve all the spots at the in state schools does not make sense. I grew up in CA and my whole family is in CA- we have been paying taxes in state for 70 years. But my husband (who is in military) got moved to VA and since I have to work to make it affordable for us to live (yes- enlisted get paid about 25K a year- try raising a family on that…) we have to declare residency in VA for my wages. So now my daughter does not have access to CA UCs and we have to pay outrageous OOS fees. How is that fair?

6 Likes

This also plays into the hands of the rich who can afford to move their families to get in state consideration.

2 Likes

You may want to contact the university
My understanding is that they are fee waivers for out of state military families

1 Like

My daughter’s dad lives in CA and my entire family has lived there for generations. I am part owner of rental property there and pay some CA tax. I live in Washington, I can work remote from anywhere. I looked in to relocating and found that the amount of state income tax I would pay (coming from zero state income tax) is about equal to the difference between in state and out of state tuition per year. The cost of living is a little higher in CA. I wish I could trade her Washington in state tuition for CA in state. She was admitted to UW Seattle and I hope she decides to go there however she is drawn to better weather in CA.

1 Like

It 100% makes sense. I’m sorry it’s doesn’t work for your particular situation but CA residents should absolutely have preference for UC admissions

11 Likes

I don’t think so. It should not be limited to anything. I have two homes in California. I pay California taxes. I live in Nevada. Doesn’t mean that my kid should not get in. That is ridiculous. Don’t try to tell people that California has more right over quality education than OOS.

1 Like

I said preference for a California university education. And because I have paid taxes to help fund these universities we absolutely deserve that preference. Your child deserves a “quality” education. But they don’t deserve it more than in-state kids who have paid into the system for over 20 years.

15 Likes

She can claim CA residency based on her dad living/ working in ca.
Only one of the parents needs to live here

2 Likes

California students do get preference. Their GPA minimum required is lower and there are caps on the percentage of OOS students that can be accepted.

3 Likes