UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

I appreciate your perspective. As a CA student who was admitted into all of the UCs but chose to go to an Ivy- I have always beaten myself up that I should have selected the cheaper option. My oldest (D22) is applying only to big public schools because she wants to study a particular type of microbiology and having research opportunities is her most important objective. Since I am her investor (I am investing in her by paying for her college) she has had to present every college to me as an investment decision- including on whether I would pay for the application fee. I wish I had put more consideration into the downside of the public bureaucracies. Funny because UCB was not on her list and I made her add it- so I only have myself to blame for the wasted deposit $.

Interesting
Did you go to business school?

Are you saying that we OOS should not expect going to UCs at all? Then why do the UCs allow OOS students to apply for the UCS?

Nothing wrong your IS perspective, at all. On the other hand, there seems to be a misunderstanding why the OOS 26 applicants are not pleased. It is really unfortunate for those kids who thought that UCB is a great fit. Here is the recap:

• while it is understood that UCs were/are chartered for CA residents, the current state of affairs is different. As of the last cycle, UCB had meaningfully more OOS admits (in % of applications) than what is going to happen as a result of the SBN saga (roughly half of the number of OOS admits or less). That is a critical part of the information applicants base their research on before they decide to apply

• while it is also understood that UCB was going to GRADUALLY reduce the OOS vs IS % over time, the OOS applicants were not alerted BEFORE they applied that their admission will be severely curtailed THIS CYCLE; there was NO mention anywhere that the admit rate for OOS+Int was going down to 10% for this admit cycle (from 20%+ in previous cycles)

• in fact, and as of the decision of the Appeals Court a few weeks ago, there was NO mention of disproportionate reduction in OOS 26 admits THIS CYCLE (or if a reduction were required the pain were to be shared proportionally with IS 26)

From the perspective of the OOS applicant, it is a black eye for UCB, period. They underestimated the SBN challenge, they were not transparent to OOS for this cycle, they did not fight SBN as hard as they could have early on and as things got bad, they seem to have made a decision to suddenly degrade the OOS 26 applicants.

I could care less about the application fee but much more about the crushed hopes of those who really wanted to go there and saw UCB as a great fit. Now, it is basically unreachable.

OK, fine, here we are. Btw, I totally respect the need for CA residents who cannot afford great options for their qualified students and want to maximize their chances. We understand that we don’t vote in CA (but we are not aliens, either and I am frankly astonished at the implied hostility by some towards OOS and being labeled as “rich kids taking away our spots”). On the other hand, and based on the above, UCB decision is unfair to the OOS 26 applicants. I guess the kids have now learned their lesson not to trust anything until it is inked and some.

Hope that this helps to explain a bit more why OOS 26 applicants are not pleased. Now, I am done with this thread and wish all applicants the best of luck! :facepunch:t2:

3 Likes

Whoa! Hold the phone. This might be huge (good) news for all applicants,OOS, Int’l
 everyone.

“Scrambling to short-circuit a court-ordered enrollment freeze at the University of California, Berkeley, state legislators Friday unveiled a proposed change to a landmark environmental law that would let the university admit students at its previously planned level despite a lawsuit charging that its growth is polluting the city.”

“If this passes and is signed, it will allow Berkeley to go forward with full planned enrollment and no reduction,” said Phil Ting, who is the chair of the Assembly budget committee"

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Legislators-Find-Way-to-Let-UC-Berkeley-Increase-16995141.php

2 Likes

I went to Penn College Undergrad and then got my MBA from Wharton. Loved it- absolutely got a fantastic education. I keep telling my daughter that the name means a lot more for graduate school than it does for undergrad.

3 Likes

My daughter is applying to Wharton
But I am a scientist
So sounds like we are crossed in our children fields

Best of luck to her! We are so lucky in the U.S. to have so many great business schools and schools for research!

1 Like

Thanks. Berkeley GMP and Georgetown are high on the list.
For science, which generally is not a good investment, finding a good and generous mentor is key.

Im reading through these articles and it looks like this bill reverses the court decision and gives school 18 months to address environmental issues before having to comply. The applies retroactively to this enrollment cycle. (i.e. they can proceed with the full pre-case enrollment numbers.)
What am i missing?
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article259310689.html

What I can’t figure out is whether the IS/OOS admission offers split will be 90/10 or more like historical numbers if this new law passes

not sure, but my take in the language of the articles is that the pre-court decision IS/OOS ratios would not be altered by the bill. As in, UCB is now allowed to have 8000 freshmen on campus, 6000ish in state, 2000 OOS/Int’l, or close to that anyway.

The timing is a huge issue. Decisions due in 13 days.

Much of what you complain about is your unrealistic expectation, and/or was beyond UCB’s control. And, given the school’s long-standing mandate as a California school, it shouldn’t come as a shock that short term adjustments will impact OOS more. As for the “black eye,” somehow I think it will survive whatever repetitional hit you think it may have taken. The UC’s shouldn’t be in the business of catering to the demands of parents of OOS applicants, even if they are potentially full pay.

3 Likes

Virginia also has the “public ivy” UVA with low in-state tuition and multiple other excellent public colleges to choose from, all with in-state tuition significantly less than OOS.

1 Like

For real?

I’ve got to believe that they had made most of their decisions prior to the Alameda county court denial of appeal in Feb. They should be able to revert that list, with some tweeking.
#butwhatdoiknow

I predict a quick court filing from SNB against any tweaks to the law.

1 Like

What the article doesn’t explain is if this bill can be fast tracked to the governor. Most bills have to go through committee, be voted on by one house of the legislature, then go to the other (maybe through committee again), pass both houses, go to the governor, etc etc. Not sure if California has rules about the number of days to consider a bill, if it has to be reviewed by the budget committee.

1 Like

if there is a chance this passes with some delays, UCB would probably delay announcing results for a week or so. But a week is probably all they could do, in order to avoid having potential students commit elsewhere.