UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

Probably with record breaking speed

1 Like

Wait so is there any shot that they get the full 8k ugrad seating or is that contingent on the law passing? Is there any chance it passes in time?

I can totally understand an interest in a niche field to be more likely offered at a big R1 vs. a small college. That said, just bcos Big State U has a major in riche micobio, doesn’t necessarily mean taht research opportunities are that easily available. One thing the Ivies and their ilk have is boat loads of money to offer undergrads all kinds of research opportunities. At big State U (like Berkeley, there are thousands of students who are gunning for research, any lab research, for their resume, so the competition for undergrad research is stiff. On a per capita basis, opportunities at top private U beats Big State U nearly every time. (assuming top private U offers something close to the intended major)

1 Like

According to this article, the bill was introduced in both houses of the legislature so it could be Fast-tracked. But I read on another source, that the Committee hearing starts Monday.

1 Like

I’m curious what type of high school experience your son came from. My daughter, who will study math, is at a large urban school, so she is used to fighting for what she needs. I keep suggesting smaller schools, but she said she’s used to a big environment.

With respect to college selection, this topic may be of interest: For Students Seeking a College Strong in Mathematics.

1 Like

Just made it to the University of Chicago
Decisions will be tough if a couple of the others come through

4 Likes

Are you a VC or in Private Equity?

Hmmmm indeed

Still doesn’t address the issue of where all those students are going to live though.

2 Likes

Opinion by Ezra Klein in NY Times

1 Like

“Laws meant to ensure that government considers the consequences of its actions have made it too difficult for government to act consequentially.”

Well if UCB had addressed it’s housing problems simultaneously with its galloping enrollment numbers they wouldn’t be in this position so I’d say the laws are doing exactly what they are designed to do. Require government to consider how it’s actions are impacting the environment which includes the neighborhoods surrounding the schools. They pointedly chose to ignore it until they were forced to do so.

2 Likes

Hasn’t UCB been trying to construct new housing on land that they already own, only to have their plans obstructed and impeded by “concerned citizens” in Berkeley? Maybe if UCB was allowed build (again, on land they already own) housing for incoming students this problem would have been avoided.

13 Likes

The government could have (should have?) addressed the laws contributing to the housing problem way before now. The law has been around for more than 4 decades. It’s all government run.

In fact housing has been an issue since the founding of the university:

On Charter Day, March 23, 1868, Berkeley didn’t offer student housing since California state codes prohibited the existence of dormitories on college campuses. As campus historian Verne Stadtman put it in in his book “The Centennial Record of The University of California,” “Dormitories were suspected by mid-nineteenth century educators and moralists of being incubators of student disorder.”

https://www.dailycal.org/2019/03/02/a-brief-history-of-campus-supplied-student-housing-and-lack-thereof/

pdvd_117.5

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/NancySkinnerCA/status/1503478332469305344?cxt=HHwWgICj5fvktt0pAAAA

2 Likes

yep, and the bill passed the Senate Budget committee too!

https://twitter.com/brandonyung1/status/1503455813641256960

Even the Republicans seem to be in support, unusual since this appears to be a Democratic bill

2 Likes

Yay!!! Finally some good news! The class of 2022 has been through a lot! They deserve some good news.

4 Likes

https://www.dailycal.org/2022/03/13/proposed-legislation-would-allow-increased-uc-berkeley-fall-2022-enrollment/

They’re implementing the politically expedient solution and kicking the can 18 months down the road. I hope SBN continues their fight because this is a garbage solution that’s just piling onto the incredibly poor way this situation has been handled for decades. :see_no_evil::speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

“While the bill would allow campus to proceed with its original enrollment plans, environmental review under CEQA remains necessary. Weichert noted the legislation requires campus to provide an updated report in 18 months, ensuring it is taking the necessary steps to monitor its environmental impact.

“It’s not letting (UC) Berkeley off the hook,” Weichert said. “The clock is ticking and we’re putting pressure on to ensure campus is doing this in a sustainable way.”

Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín noted the parameters of AB168/SB 118 allow time for additional environmental review without restricting access to a “world-class education.””

They’re bringing it back, as an electric vehicle

3 Likes