UC Berkeley may be forced to admit 5100 fewer students

Totally off topic, but dang! It’s a super-super-super reach now for OOS applicants in CS!

Why is it that schools 10 miles apart (presumably both public) have significantly different degrees of academic demands placed on the students? Why isn’t the instruction being provided equal? Why should students at the other high school be penalized because they don’t have the same resources as the other one?

Maybe you didn’t read my initial comments above. This has nothing to do with CA voters not caring. The legislature and governor right now are working on legislation to address this, including a big increase in funding for higher education. That’s why negotiations have been going on between the legislature and the UCs.

See my post #38 on UC-B budget and funding:
Partially reproduced here:

" A counter argument is that Federal Contracts and Grants fund in equal proporion as the state support (both 14% each) for UC-B $3 billion budget.
https://cfo.berkeley.edu/budget-101

Also, the federal government gives $600+ million in research funding to UC-B.
(Berkeley Research Excellence | Research UC Berkeley)

Clearly all US tax payers funded that."

CA receives 10th lowest federal dollar funding per resident. CA gets back <$1 in federal funding for each dollar contributed to Federal taxes. This isn’t a winning argument.

3 Likes

The wording in the article from UCB’s website seems somewhat desperate. They are certainly on their heels and may do whatever they need to do that is best for the University, not necessarily for the state. The article already gives the disclaimer that this ruling is going to disrupt a lot of CA families, so we’ve been warned.

What admissions actions that may bring could really be anything. What demographic of student would most likely accept an offer? Maybe to eliminate as much chance as possible, UCB accepts local SF Bay Areapublic school kids, a group with a very high enrollment yield.

1 Like

According to this page, 28% of Berkeley Engineering students are international students. Same portion for OOS students?
Even in MIT, CA is the most represented U.S. state.

3 Likes

This has been happening already. Tuition at UCLA has been frozen since 2018, while the OOS premium has gone up each year. But existing students protest whenever their tuition goes up. It might be better to set an OOS supplement that is fixed for 4 years but goes up for new students each year (places like GWU do this for tuition already).

2 Likes

FYI - GW has eliminated its fixed tuition for each class.

The issue for the school is whether that in-state applicant with the same or equal stats/ECs is full pay.

If you want more in-state students accepted then the state needs to provide more funding.

2 Likes

As a parent of a Virginia student, many HS students are just discovering UCI. Many hear of UCB & UCLA, but feel they are out of reach and are considering of UC’s just to go to California.

2 Likes

Wait until they hear about UCSC.

1 Like

The question was who is funding UC-B.
FACT is both Federal and state dollars are at 14% each and student fees make the bulk of the budget dollars. To say, the state is funding UC-B is incorrect.

We can argue about taxation and wealth distribution but that is not the topic in hand.

Another FACT is that too many bright students are chasing too few seats at top colleges - it does not matter these students are In-state or OOS.

2 Likes

True, but CA is the most populated state in the U.S.
~ 12% of the U.S. population lives in CA.
So it would make sense that CA is the most represented state at MIT (or any other private school that draws from all over the country).

5 Likes

Mills has merged into Northeastern. It is not a “purchase”. Under the merger Mills will retain its identity as Mills College @ Northeastern University. It will be operated as a coed LAC while also housing other Northeastern students and programs on the campus. If Mills was absorbed by UCB it would have lost its identity completely.

1 Like

Nice to be able to afford full pay.

1 Like

Seems to me this is a problem in most states — universities don’t get enough funding from tax dollars and make up the difference in out-of-state and international tuition dollars.

The problem in California appears to be more that you do not have enough in-state universities relative to the number of in-state students.

Every university that wants to be nationally and internationally recognized has a motive to admit SOME portion of OOS and international students.

Looking at recent Common Data Sets, it appears that California is already restricting more than most. Putting aside relative admit rate, the percent of OOS non-international first-year undergrads in the last two CDS reports was:

UCB - 18-20% (going forward to be further capped by the legislature, I understand )

U of Washington - 24-26% (largest portion from CA)

U of Oregon - 50-52% (largest portion from CA)

Oregon has plenty of room for its in-state qualified students and is no doubt thrilled to get those OOS dollars.

Washington is struggling to balance the two, particularly in STEM majors. But every qualified student can still attend Washington State, another Pac-12 school.

I think the real problem in California is that the selectivity of all the UCs has become too high. There simply are not enough of them. But I am not sure barring virtually all OOS students is a great answer, either. Apart from the tuition infusion they provide, all large research universities benefit from some cross-pollination, in my opinion.

I wonder if a better option would be to open up more opportunities through compacts with other states to allow California students to attend them at in-state tuition levels.

2 Likes

I think the moment you talk about federal contribution vs state, you open the door for a net dollar contribution argument. And the UCs don’t operate in a vacuum. Because CA is losing money to the Feds, they can’t invest in the UCs as much as they want.

In the end, it’s a pretty simple expectation that state publics serve the educational goals of it’s residents first.

2 Likes

But that would still have been much better for CA as a state.

1 Like

not sure what shaming someone over a perceived ability to pay for their child’s college tuition accomplishes. But well done

3 Likes

Just for reference, we had many disappointed extremely high achieving VA students here in VA, in reference to UVA. Many near “perfect students” were deferred. Even though the % is lower for OOS more OOS student received offers. Lots of angry parents that feel their IS kids should get the offers for partially state funded University.

2 Likes