UC Berkeley Portal Astrology Discussion 2023

May be it is too early for portal astrology.
Never mind it”s engaging

My kid already has a calnet account, so this particular astrological test doesn’t work, it just goes to his calnet account :rofl:

When I do this I don’t get to the page that says “this application is for setting up a calnet account…” After entering map login credentials it just goes straight to “sorry you are not authorized to use this application.” So maybe that does mean you’re accepted if it says forbidden!!

I’m doubting this astrology method. Setting up your CalNet ID is a process that you go through when you are choosing the username associated with your new @berkeley.edu email address. There’s also probably some cookie/cache thing going on with my computer, because I have other kids at Cal who have used this laptop to log into their CalNet accts. I don’t know. I have a pretty limited knowledge of this kind of IT stuff. I suppose I could try to the same thing from a different computer, but that would involve me putting down this beer and getting up from the couch.

EDIT: It would also involve me accessing another computer, that which I do not own.

Class of 2026 here, it seems like the welcome reception event register method no longer works this year, but for the CalNet ID thing I have some friends saying they see forbidden and some others saying they see not authorized.

According to what I remember from my own experience from last year, once you are admitted, you have to log into CalCentral using your MAP@Berkeley ID in order to set up your CalNet ID (kind of like a username for all your student accounts and your berkeley.edu email), only after that can you accept your offer on CalCentral. Our offers came out on March 24th, but afterwards I saw on CalCentral that some of the new admitted student tasks such as “accept offer of admission” are “assigned Mar 20th”, which indicates that the school may have already set up every admittee’s account before the release of the decisions.

I am not the expert on HTTP but I have some CS friends who said 401 not authorized is different from 403 forbidden in the sense that for “not authorized”, it means that the user provided incorrect/nonexistent credentials, and for “forbidden” it means the credentials are authenticated but the user doesn’t have the authorization to view the page requested.

Combining these two bits of information we can postulate that it is likely that they have set up accounts in the CalCentral database for those who are admitted, but they are forbidding them to access the page as of now (403). Those who are rejected/waitlisted do not have an account created in the server, so they get 401.

Highly probabilistic predictions here, what I said should not be taken to be 100% true.

7 Likes

Interesting; this is what I see right now:

Do some people have “not authorized” or is everyone just “forbidden”?

1 Like

Mine looks like this

2 Likes

Mine too :disappointed:

I’m noticing on the “Forbidden” message, it has the student’s name listed on the upper right corner, as if they are logged in to CalNet Acct Mgr. For those who are getting “Not Authorized” messages, there is still a log in link in the upper right. What happens when you click that?

same.

1 Like

can we get anyone that is early admitted to try this calnet account manager?

i also see forbidden and my name at the top right, i have a fairly high stat application but was not accepted to ucla and waitlisted at ucsd. i was accepted to all other ucs for cs

@tamagotchi mentioned that his kid already CalNet account. I’m just thinking that early admits are all going to be allowed to access the CalNet manager page at this point (i.e. no error messages)

3 Likes

i see, thank you

it would be good to start a poll of sorts to see the distribution between the two messages; i would but im unable to post links in this thread

Let’s like for “forbidden” and show a 100 sign emoji for “not authorized.” Using the emojis on CC LOL

3 Likes

I believe a strawpoll would be good and was used by last year’s veteran portal astrologists LOL

1 Like

Or that… do you want to start one?

I created a poll for those accessing the calnet account manager

https://strawpoll.com/polls/LVyK8eW2dn0
4 Likes

I could probably post a poll, but not sure how. Let me look…

edit: nevermind - thanks @burgerdance

1 Like

I created one but won’t post it since you already created one, and I see some people have already completed the survey. For this to be real, after we get a signficant sample, there should be a small % of people with the forbidden message and the vast majority with the unauthorized message.

Recommend that you edit the post and make the poll a link since you are likely to get more clicks.

2 Likes