UC Berkeley vs. UCSD Jacobs Full Ride (Comp. Sci)

I have narrowed down my college choice between two schools: UC Berkeley (no regents or financial aid) versus the Jacobs Engineering Scholarship at UCSD. I am an in-state student majoring in Computer Science at both schools.

At UCSD, I received a full ride: The Jacobs Engineering Scholarship is awarded to the top 0.3% of the incoming freshmen engineering class at UCSD (about 50 students). Jacobs Scholars receive the Regent’s Scholarship and all the perks associated with it (priority registration for classes, automatic research in the first quarter, and graduate level borrowing privileges at all UCSD libraries). The scholarship is a full ride that covers tuition, housing, and all other miscellaneous fees. Jacobs Scholars can switch among all engineering majors at will (immune from the impaction rule). Jacobs Scholars must remain in engineering and maintain a 3.5 GPA. Jacobs Scholars are often given preference for research in labs, and the network of Jacobs Scholars provides opportunities for scholars to help each other with internships and job opportunities.

At Berkeley, the CS program is the best in the world. I got into the College of L&S and intend to declare CS. I am aware that Cal carries a prestige that UCSD does not have (yet). However, do the benefits of being a Jacobs Scholar at UCSD outweigh the prestige of Cal? I will be visiting both campuses. Additionally, my family can afford paying for Cal - but is it really worth it? I have heard that CS is not a field in which the prestige of the school carries too much weight - is this true?

Thanks in advance!

I would favor the full-ride to UCSD (which is not exactly a crap school for CS; it’s still one of the best in the country).

The main point of concern I have is the 3.5 GPA requirement, which is high.

Easy decision - UCSD. There isn’t much that differentiates undergraduate CS programs, and Cal pumps out so many EECS grads that here in the Bay Area they almost come off as a dime a dozen.

It is correct that where you went to school is much less important in CS than it is in other fields.

Thanks for your opinions. Also, I’m not too worried about the social climate at either school, so it’s not really something that needs to be considered. What does everyone else think?

UCSD. Don’t underestimate its CS/ECE department.

UCSD. My cousin was in the same position as you, and she went with UCSD. She has a great career right now, and the Jacobs offers so many perks. If you get below a 3.5, I believe you still have Regents at UCSD.

It’s not worth paying for Berkeley at all. Congratulations, and good luck at UCSD.

OP, would you mind posting your stats? Did UCSD tell you they offer Jacob’s to 0.3%, or where did you get that figure?

@TerryB15‌ they told me it is offered to the top 0.3%, I would guess this means the top scores/GPA and then they screen for extracurriculars. My stats are 2390 SAT, UC GPA: 4.0 UW, 4.38 W. I also had leadership roles in all of my extracurriculars.

It’s pretty interesting to me that there hasn’t been anyone advocating Cal so far… Is the decision really that one-sided?

And yes, if you fail to maintain a 3.5 you still keep regents at UCSD.

@c201519 CS is a field in which recommendations and internships matter far more than school name. Landing a job is easy if you start as an intern, but landing an internship is tough at the top companies. Top school CS grads are a dime a dozen - networking is what sets you apart.

If you can network through the Jacobs and Regents alumni to land an internship at a big tech firm and do well there, you’re looking at a great job offer upon graduation.

@Autumnal thanks, that was what I was thinking as well. I believe I’ll be able to make great connections through the Jacobs program at San Diego. It totally makes sense!

Qualcom San Diego, founded by Jacobs offers generous internship salary and free housing during the summer.