UC Essays Question

How important are UC essays for admission?
Another important question:
For question 6: academic subject that inspires you, is it fine if you say a subject that you don’t major in?

You can check the UC Freshman admission matrix to see how each campus view the essay questions.

No your favorite academic subject does not have to match your major. Many students have diverse interests.

Can you link me with the matrix where information about what factors are considered important, very important, etc…?

Here it is:
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/freshman-admission-matrix.pdf

Also the common dataset has what the UC’s consider important. I can post longer version of the common dataset and matrix information:

• Berkeley

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency
  • Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.
  • LOR's by invitation only as of 2017

• Davis

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency, Work experience
  • Note: Scholastic achievement most important, followed by school and community activities, academic interests, special circumstances, special achievements and awards

• Irvine

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Extracurricular activities, Level of applicant's interest, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Class rank
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency
  • Note: Demonstrated record of academic preparation, educational engagement, talent and skills important.

• Los Angeles

• Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence
  • Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed.

• Merced

• Important: Class rank, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Level of applicant's interest, Recommendations, State residency, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: Academic record and test scores determine eligibility.

• Riverside

• Considered: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: A fixed weight point system comprehensive review model that culminates in an Academic Index Score to determine admission for incoming freshmen.

• San Diego

• Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: High school course pattern, GPA, essay and test scores most important. Admission for out-of-state applicants more selective than for residents.

• Santa Barbara

• Considered: Character/personal qualities, Class rank, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: Eligibility established by high school GPA, course requirement, and SAT scores. Special consideration for disadvantaged students.

• Santa Cruz

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, State residency
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Talent/ability
  • Considered: Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: Test scores, GPA in required subjects most important. Personal statement very important.

I’m not an expert on the process, but I have attended several UC events and was accepted into the five UCs I applied to (including Cal and UCLA). The essay is one of the most important parts of your application, as it is the opportunity to go beyond just GPA and test scores and to talk about what is meaningful to you. While I can’t say for certain, I believe that my essays were the reason I was admitted to the top UCs. Be sure to write about things you feel passionate about, not just things that sound good on paper. All of the college admissions officers I have met say that they weed out any applications that seem fabricated or forced.
To answer the second part of your question, schools like to see varied interests. One of my essays was about how I brought together my passions for STEM, the arts, and the humanities in a recent project. Even though I plan on being a Biology major and pursuing a medical career, I believe that talking about other subjects that inspire me helped my application. If you feel more strongly about a different subject that isn’t your major, I would say to write about this instead of what you think would sound better. Passion and commitment are what admissions officers are looking for, not necessarily major choice. In fact, I think variety would help your application: candidates applying for popular majors may stand out more if they are interested in more than one subject, showing that they can be successful in several areas.
Overall, my one piece of advice is to write about what you feel matters to you. I wish you luck in your college search!

EDIT: I just realized that this thread is from 2017 (I’m new to the site and a bit unfamiliar with its layout). However, if anyone applying for a future academic year stumbles upon this thread in the same situation, I hope this advice will still be helpful. Sorry about that!