UC Gap Year?

Hey everyone,

I am an Florida high school senior. I’ve been offered admission to University of Florida and University of Central Florida, though I would have really liked to attend UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, UCLA, or UC Berkeley (given that I were accepted to any of these). However, they’re far too expensive as an OOS student.

I looked into classifying as a CA resident, and I think I will be able to meet those requirements… if I were to live in California for a year before attending.

I know I can move and attend a community college in CA for a bit before transferring, but I am currently a dual-enrolled student who is expecting to graduate with an AA this spring. I feel like it’s somewhat pointless to attend another community college for a year.

Therefore, I was looking into living in CA and working (preferably something related to my degree) for a year before attending school as an in-state student. However, I was wondering how this would affect my application to UC schools. Obviously it depends on which school, but would taking a year off to work (and not do much else) really hurt my chances?

If it helps:
SAT - 1430
ACT - 32
GPA - 3.93 UW 4.21 Capped and Weighted
Rigor - 9th grade Pre-IB, dual-enrolled in 10th, fully dual-enrolled 11th-12th
EC’s - NHS, Interact (Communications Director), Spectrum (LGBT club)(Co-president), Phi Theta Kappa (Secretary), Chick-
Fil-A Leadership Academy, Environmental Club
Work - Chipotle (15 hours/week), Church Childcare (3 hours/week)
Volunteering - around 150-175 hours total

So you will be a completely independent student, paying for all aspects of your living expenses in California without help from your family?

@Gumbymom yes.

that includes health insurance … it is almost an impossible for a low skill 18 year old, even in a low cost area like the San Jouquin Valley.

Since you already have an AA, it should take you 2 years or less to get a BA from a Florida college. Do that then move here to start your career. It will still be here and it makes a lot more sense than burning a year working 60 hours a week just to keep the lights on in hopes of gaining in-state tuition for a school that may not accept you.

If you want to do a gap year then study in CA, I’d look at privates like USD and LMU which would probably off you lots of merit aid.

@NCalRent That’s a really good point, thanks for your help!