UC Irvine Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Same for my D. Similar academics, lots of leadership in EC. Now we are wondering what chance she has for any of the other UCs.

1 Like

I think she has at good chance at others. There is definitely a degree of subjectivity in UC admissions.

1 Like

did anyone get into data science/cs as the actual major and not undeclared? do they have like zero spots or something LOL

1 Like

Regents often is given for students with “lesser” stats but with more need. To say it is “merit based” (like 100% merit-based) is not correct as I have seen students with more need and lower stats receive an award vs. students with no need and higher stats. All other things being equal as well.

Being a UCI alumnus (graduate school) myself, was a little disappointed even though it was not her first choice UC. Honestly though the process seems somewhat opaque. Listened in on a special admissions webinar for alumni and really didn’t quite clearly understand how the undergraduate admissions would work this year. Was also a little dismayed that the admissions office (director himself) would publicly state that they want more international and OOS students. Clearly because of budget considerations. Many of my daughters friends with very strong stats also got waitlisted from UCI. I would not connect the dots with other UCs, seems that each one has its own process.

7 Likes

My son’s friend with very high stats, good ECs, and I assume good essays as she is a great writer was waitlisted too.

3 Likes

Has UCI released numbers of total accepted/rejected/waitlisted?

3 Likes

It seems like not everyone has received a decision at this time.

Thank you for sharing and keeping a positive attitude, especially in the trying times. Good luck to us all!

2 Likes

[deleted]

For UCI, yes it is possible to change majors but again not guaranteed. For some other UC’s, it is extremely unlikely. The issue in getting classes can be a problem since students in the major get priority. I would suggest in contacting the CS department at UCI and ask them how many students are able to change into the major.

My way of thinking is will your student be happy at UCI as another major or is being in CS the deciding factor.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that not filling out the FASFA would be a reason an applicant was not selected for Regents but that is something to ask the UCI financial aid office.

Daughter was waitlisted for art. WGPA = 4.0. Unweighted 3.65. In state. Good EC’s and essays.

accepted biz admin
UW 4.0

2 Likes

Happened to my son too. He really wants to go to UCI but only wants to major in CS. If feels like such a tease. Might as well be a denial. Not going to pay OOS rates for undeclared.

I don’t blame you. We are local, so it’s not completely off the table for my son. But he 100% wants CS and his entire application was aimed at CS. UCI CS department has been his goal for a long time. Definitely thankful for the acceptance, but need to figure out whether it’s his best option without direct admit to CS.

1 Like

I would try to talk to someone in the CS dept. They may be able to offer more information.

We plan to speak with Admissions and then if we can an Academic Advisor in ICS to get a better sense on the odds of transferring into the major. I wouldn’t want him to put in all the effort, plus have the added stress on top of just getting used to the college pace, if the odds were clearly stacked against him. My son is like yours- CS dream for years and years. He’s been eyeing UCI snd it was his only acceptance that brought a huge smile to his face… then the crestfallen look when it was as undeclared. :frowning_face:

They should both feel very proud about their acceptances. To get into a school with such a low acceptance rate is an achievement. Especially this year with such a higher percentage of applicants. And the number of CS applicants keeps going up too. They both will thrive wherever they ultimately land. :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

1000th Post