UC Irvine Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Portalwatcher, you are correct, the UCI admissions office said outright that they wanted more OOS and International. It is not a secret. Admissions rates are lower for in state freshman, really a shame for tax paying California families. I get the budget issues though but as an in state person paying lots of taxes I’d prefer that they increase tuition for in state and admit more in state kids. It is a political and budget issue, a bit complicated I think. Nothing against OOS or Intl but during these covid times it is especially noticeable.

8 Likes

I agree 100%!

By the way the Anteaters are playing UCSB in the Big West Championship basketball game tonight, you guys should definitely watch. The Gauchos are number one in the conference but it should be a great game. The Anteaters have a great team, #2 behind the Gauchos in the Big West.

2 Likes

Can you explain further on what you mean about the low yield in matriculation?

@DadDave I thought the UCs used to have a cap on OOS/Intl students so that they wouldn’t shift all to OOS. Has that changed?

Here is 2020 statistical data for admissions to UCI.

Instate Applicants: 72415
Instate Admits: 16470
Instate Enrolled: 4521
Yield: 27.4%

OOS Applicants: 7995
OOS Admits: 5103
OOS Enrolled: 261
Yield: 5.1%

Yes, all the UC’s admit a high percentage of OOS and International applicants in comparison to In-state applciants but few actually enroll and this is due to costs. Many OOS/International applicants are not aware that the UC’s offer little to no financial aid and so the costs make schools like UCI unaffordable.

7 Likes

I got into CSE

2 Likes

No, the UC’s still have a CAP on the # of OOS/International applicants but the bottom line is few actually enroll although admit rate is high.

Here is the information: Under the policy, the first of its kind at UC, nonresident enrollment will be capped at 18 percent at five UC campuses. At the other four campuses where the proportion of nonresidents exceeds 18 percent — UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCLA and UC San Diego — nonresident enrollment will be capped at the proportion that each campus enrolls in the 2017–18 academic year.

UCI’s International enrollment yield for 2020 was 12.7% so combined OOS/International are near 18%.

3 Likes

I just saw an OOS parent in a college Facebook group say that she hopes that they send the financial aid packages quickly after acceptances. I did not have the heart to break the news to her.

Thank you-very interesting. Is that statistical data available on a website somewhere for other UCs or universities?

Thanks for the data, admit rates for OOS is 3 times the rate for in state. I do understand that the yield is lower. The admit rate says a lot. Doesn’t matter that the yield is lower for OOS, they are still giving more opportunity to OOS because they are willing to pay more. My rec would be , increase tuition for in state and increase admit rates for in state. Admit rates for in state used to be very reasonable. The trend really changed about 10 to 20 years ago for reasons outside of student quality. The pandemic actually made the situation more acute for in state.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, OOS plus international has increased significantly over the last 20 years even if it is now capped at 18%. I think the caps were put in place because the % kept going higher for monetary reasons.

1 Like

UCI is pretty transparent and here is where I got the data. You have to do some searching on each UC campus website since each campus presents their data differently.

https://www.oir.uci.edu/Data-Hub/Undergraduate-Admissions-Dashboard.php

This link gives the admission overview and you can check each campus individually:

Here is the explanation for the UC cap. UC Board of Regents approves policy on nonresident student enrollment | University of California

It looks like a nail biter!

Attended both schools so hard to take a side , ha. Gauchos are really good this year.

My daughter has been accepted to Irvine and waiting to hear from UCSB so I guess I’m rooting for the Anteaters for now - plus I always like the underdog.

Anteaters made it to the NCAA tournament last time so I guess it is the Gauchos turn. I attended UCSB when they had Brian Shaw who was an amazing basketball player, he later played for the Lakers. This Gaucho team brings back memories. The Anteaters have a bright future with basketball though. Congrats to your daughter.

2 Likes

thanks!

OOS and in state will always be a hot topic and there are good points on both sides.

My take is, while we pay high taxes in CA, very few of those tax dollars go to the UC system. So we aren’t really paying for it. Also, the UCs offer really generous FA to instate students. It’s comparable to many private institutions. And like @Gumbymom pointed out, the overwhelming majority of applicants for UCs not named Cal or UCLA are instate applicants. So the acceptance rate is naturally going to be lower. The 5k they admitted OOS with the low yield doesn’t make up a large portion of the student body. If they decreased that acceptance rate and increased the in state rate, coupled with the instate higher yield, would result in over enrollment. Last time UCI overenrolled, they rescinded more applicants when transcripts were sent in. And increasing enrollment would be a large multi year plan that basic tuition increases may not cover (CAPEX and increased academic hiring while maintaining quality are two tough examples that take time)

Every year admissions becomes more uncertain and more competitive. The good news is the Top 9% of ca students are guaranteed a UC spot, just not one of their choosing. It can be argued that UCR and UC Merced are quickly becoming much more prominent schools in CA. Hope this was a useful perspective.

2 Likes