UC Irvine Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

From everything I see in the data they admit a decent % of OOS as compared to the in-state applications but overall it is very low in relative terms and then the enrollment of OOS is even lower - perhaps the lowest in all the UCs at least with respect to those higher in the national rankings? I am more curious/concerned about that and curious how other OOS admits feel - I am interested to know their targets and applications received OOS for this year as if it is not a big change, not sure I would like my S21 to go across country with so few outside of CA. He made a last minute change in selecting Irvine over another UC due to his interest in major which he did get but hadn’t really looked at this data.

I am a California resident/parent and feel lucky that we have so many great in-state options from which to choose. Paying full price for a UC at $65K/year as an OOS student to me does not seem worth it unless of course, you have an unlimited budget and it is not an issue. UCI is a very good school but if you have less expensive options for a similar academic and social experience, it does not make sense to spend $260K for Undergrad. I do not know your specific major but many majors are marketable no matter which college a student attends. Again, my opinion and you need to decide what is best for you.

3 Likes

Yeah as much as I advocate for the UC system, I don’t see how they offer an experience worth 60k a year. Usually job prospects for many colleges are strongest locally so that would be the main draw. Still hard to justify imo. Even paying 60k for cal and UCLA is tough to justify compared to privates that may offer more generous aid to OOS

1 Like

Without a doubt, Berkeley and UCLA are two of the top public schools in the country and most majors are top notch at both schools. You then move down the list to UCSD, UCI, Davis and UCSB (in no particular order), and then to Riverside, SC and Merced (in no particular order).

For $36k per year an in state student (that qualifies for no scholarships, grants, etc.) can attend a UC for classes that for several years will have numbers in the hundreds (assuming you can get your classes). At that $36k you have to wonder what you are getting for your $144k at the end of it. Is the value proposition for an in state kid there for UCLA and Berkeley based upon the “name” and quality of instruction? Probably, and moving down the list the answer is still likely yes as well but with a diminishing yes. The question also hinges on possible grad school as well and what the student might do there.

If you were a high achieving student that was courted by the OOS schools that have WUE money, huge scholarship money with an Honors College with new dorms, smaller classes and priority registration (like U of Arizona @ almost full OOS tuition, U of Utah, etc.), and you knew you were going to grad school, does the $36k per year experience at a UC make sense? What about Honors at a CSU (SDSU Weber, etc.)? What about privates like Tulane that throw money at these students?

No easy answers.

2 Likes

Last year CA students were admitted to UCI at a rate of 22.7%, if they accept the same number of freshman it was 21.4% this year.

The overall admission rate of the UCs are skewed high due to the high acceptance of OOS and International - I severely overestimated our chances here! Hoping for better news at some of the other UCs.

1 Like

This is precisely my brother’s thinking for his two kids. They both have extremely high GPA but will not be attending a “top tier” school. Instead they will go to a decent local university then focus on getting into a top grad school. Lots of different strategies

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. It is a hot topic and I think there is lots of inequity but I do understand that some schools are being overwhelmed with applications. I just think a lot of in state parents would be happy to pay more for a spot for their kid at a competitive UC and that could happen if there were some easy structural changes made. The over-enrollment is not a surprise when there are over 5k spots given to OOS at UCI alone. I have nothing against OOS but yes CA money ( state general fund) goes to pay a portion of the expenses at those schools. I went to both UCSB (undergrad) and UCI (grad) and those schools have not changed since then in terms of academic teaching quality. In fact many of the same professors are still teaching there now. Today I might not be able to get into either of the schools (nothing to do with my stats) even though I graduated from honors when I attended. There is a problem in my opinion. These forums are great though as they allow for discussion and maybe improvements going forward. Bloomberg recently published an article on how federal funding which started during the Clinton years made the issue more acute for public schools, it allowed public schools to increase tuition significantly. I totally get some of the posts here though about parents putting a cap on what they think a UC undergrad educations is worth. My daughter wants to continue to grad school after and those costs add up. Also, class size is a consideration. Thanks again to 10s4life and Gumbymom for being forum champs, you guys are doing a great job.

2 Likes

UIUC is a great school, so if you can afford it, be thrilled. It will be so cool to get out of the bubble, and experience all new things. I went to college far from home, and feel so much better for it, especially compared to people who stuck close to home. It will be an adventure! Adventure makes people interesting.

Thanks for this response I’m never going to want an increase in tuition rate for in-state. We could absorb it, but many can’t.

4 Likes

I’ve been reading a lot about this…my son is in the same boat. One thing that really jumps out at me is the stress it puts on the kids. My kid - and I’m sure yours - strives for good grades all the time, but I think it will put a different level of stress on it knowing you have to get the good grades or you’re, pretty much screwed. So, I see most everyone advise that if you get a direct admit to a CS program elsewhere, take that. I would add, if, on the other hand, the school in question - UCI in this case - is a dream school for other reasons, it may be worth taking the chance. I would also add, if someone really wants to go to UCI and major in CS, you could always do the CC route and transfer in. Odds are probably better that way, and way cheaper.

1 Like

I just saw someone upthread. I was wondering same, thinking maybe they were doing something different this year, letting no one directly in. But, no, I just saw someone upthread whose son got in directly.

@MommaLue Exactly my feelings. While a tuition increase wouldn’t have affected me or my siblings, it would be detrimental to so many families.

@DadDave thanks for the kind words. @Gumbymom try our best to help everyone out. It’s our hope that these forums help provide insight into the complicated college admissions process to the many posters and thousands of viewers who don’t actively post. CC has been a great platform to provide support for students who may not have access to this information otherwise. So big thanks to the students and parents like you that actively contribute.

3 Likes

The cost is already too high; I am not in favor of raising in-state cost. We need more schools. Of course how is that paid for? More OOS/Intl students.

As a full pay, but not rich, family, a UC for four plus years was not an option for us. So my older son did CC for three years, and will get his degree from Cal after two. To me, that’s the only way to go for families like ours. My next son, on the other hand, who just got into UCI as a freshman (as undeclared unfortunately) will go to a UC if he wants. He will have more than 60 units completed from dual enrollment, and should be able to get out in three years. That will do. If he had to do four plus years we’d be looking more at out of state WUE schools. Still might last minute depending on how all the rest of the decisions turn out.

A tuition increase would be interesting…not good!..for students who get financial aid it would be absorbed/covered by that…it would really hurt families like mine who are full pay, but not rich AND who need our money for retirement. Ya, no bueno at all.

Could someone please post the official link for UCI admits by High Schools? :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks, I think my parents can afford it. I am happy about it.

CC to UC transfer is a viable option and with TAG, transfers do have a guarantee of admission if they qualify, however, the popular majors such as CS are not longer avaialble through TAG for UCI and UCSB. Only UCM, UCR, UCSC and UCD offer the TAG guarantee for CS. You cannot TAG for Business Admin at UCI and for none of the Engineering majors at UCSB so each year the majors available decrease plus UCSD, UCLA and UCB do not participate in the TAG program.

Yes, but overall the admission rates are much more favorable, so even with no tag, a strong student has good chances.