UC Irvine Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

thank you :kissing_heart:

All CSU’s admit directly into the CS major but a few campuses do consider alternate majors . All UC’s offer direct admit into the CS major if located in the College of Engineering but UCI and UCSD admit into the University first and then into the major secondly so possible to get into an alternate major or Undeclared. UCB offers CS also in the College of Letters and Sciences. UCB requires another admission threshold to be admitted into the major from L&S which are Pre-req courses and a specific GPA. UCD actually offers CSE in Engineering and CS in College of L&S. Engineering admits by academic department and L&S admits by Division.

3 Likes

CS is often the most competitive Engr major at any school. Even applicants with top stats get denied. It’s important to adjust expectations when applying for engineering majors. In fact, my college list was skewed safety heavy because of that risk. I’m EE so it’s a bit easier for admissions than CS btw

3 Likes

“a lottery for a spot” sounds like an expensive gamble.

@papawes It sure is. That’s why @Gumbymom and myself always advocate for students to choose the school they have the easiest path towards a major they actually want/ choose the school they were directly admitted for the major.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure there are more than 3 of us on the same boat. I’m wondering if admissions and counselors can confidently guide us at all. Having the extra stress and anxiety on the kids back entering college like this is not fun.

@cooldad99 what I have found is school admissions will always sell “their” school. Rising yield rates boosts ranking, the rest you can infer from that.

Also even at the best high schools (public and private) most guidance and college counselors at the high school level don’t understand the nuances of the UC system. I’ve seen so many wrong answers from paid professionals it’s appalling. In the end doing the research and drawing co conclusions yourself is the best bet. Paying for the private admissions counselors can work too. Or take the awesome free advice you get on college confidential with a grain of salt. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My guess is it’s quite a large pool of students in this situation considering how many apply for the CS major, just not represented here. Maybe some kids aren’t dead set on a CS degree and would be fine exploring their other options, but mine knows what he wants. It’s going to be hard enough for them to adjust to and navigate the world of university level academics and independence from family without the added stress of having to prove themselves and try to meet requirement deadlines on top of it just to get into the major.

expensive with unnecessary high stress to get to potentially nowhere.

2 Likes

Email was sent to personal email address stating to check the portal since there was an update to your application

1 Like

What do you mean??! When do aid packages come out??

UC’s are notorious in not giving any financial aid based on merit for OOS and international applicants. Hence dont have to wait for those packages…plus they triple their tuition. Most schools double tuition for OOS students…

Yikes! Do they at least send something telling you your estimated price and such? Also I submitted my FAFSA, do you have any info on need based aid?

It says in the admissions portal that financial aid packages will be provided in late March.

UC”s offer no need-based aid for OOS and International students. If you are eligible for any Federal aid, then filing the FASFA would be a requirement. If you are a CA student, then you may be eligible for Cal grants and UC grants depending upon need.

There are estimated cost of attendance calculators on the campus website. Not what you may necessarily get but it’s an estimate. The parent plus loans are taken out by your parents and not you so have that discussion with your family if it applies.

Students may borrow limited amounts and some of the federal loans accrue interest the moment you borrow (unsubsidized). The student borrowed loans are not enough for COA. The Fafsa must have been filed for need based aid. Many merit scholarships require it too. Always helpful, even if you don’t qualify, to apply for fafsa just in case.

1 Like

Regarding getting off the waitlist as a CS major applicant, and getting admitted into CS: Don’t you find that weird considering all the folks who got into the University as Undeclared who applied for CS? Why would they take someone from waitlist into CS and not someone already admitted, ya know? They should have a waitlist for CS among those admitted but not into CS. I wonder if that person who supposedly got off the waitlist actually got admitted to the major. I bet not.

What area is your high school?

I think it is interesting to look at the OOS tuition some other schools charge. Michigan is astronomical and if you look at what CSU’s and UC’s charge as a percentage - I think California schools’ OOS tuition is a bargain in comparison.

UCSC decisions are out anteaters. I was accepted to UCI for CS but waitlisted at UCSC for CS… anything can happen. Good luck for those waiting on decisions and congrats to those who have gotten in.

1 Like