UC Irvine Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

Is this just for in state and maybe not for OOS?

It does not matter if the school does ranking or not. It is a special ranking that the UCs calculate.
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/california-residents/local-guarantee-elc.html

1 Like

Just in state.

@4stickers Her school is in the Pasadena-Glendale-Burbank area. Lot of unmotivated kids, but enough high-achievers to fill plenty of good classes.

Where can I see the Bloomberg article you mentioned? I’d like to read it. Any time the federal govt throws more money into something, they inflate the price.

Agree with Gumbymom. My DD18 got UCSB Regents and also got in to UCLA with Alumni Scholarship. Did not apply to Berkeley.

1 Like

Thank you anna306 for the clear answer…really appreciate it…ZOT ZOT ZOT!!

Do you know how many students were accepted this year?

Admitted numbers will not be out for a while unless they specifically state how many Freshman they admitted in an email.

1 Like

Funny. My son was the opposite. Well, sort of. Admitted to UCI, but not to CS, undeclared instead. But admitted to CS at UCSC.

Congrats on UCI direct admit to CS. That’s great.

Interesting now that I’m looking further at this. My freshman applicant son got admitted to Undeclared (vs CS). He has ICS 31, 32, and 33, and Math 2A and 2B equivalents completed at community college, all with As. That should be enough to declare immediately. I wonder why they didn’t just admit him to the major. It’s as if he needs to prove something else? We’ll just have to speak with the department if he ends up preferring UCI over other choices, with the exception of not getting into the major.

Criteria for declaring the major requires the student have a UC GPA which means classes taken at UCI. Definitely contact the CS department.

Unfortunately, D did not get in. Poli Sci with 4.13 UC GPA and a 35 ACT. It is too bad, since she actually took a Political Science course at UCI last year and got an A.

2 Likes

I was admitted to UCI. I applied for CS, but I was admitted as undeclared. If I decide to enroll, what happens? I don’t understand what all this “declaring major” means.

That has happened to a number of people here. It means UCI wants you to join their school but for CS. They are hoping you will love some other major and go that route. There are too many students applying for the number of CS spots available. For those they deem as qualifying for acceptance, some get admitted Undeclared and others get put on the waitlist. In order to then change your major to CS after you accept and start school, you have to take certain classes (ICS31, ICS32, and at least Math2A or ICS32A, ICS33, and at least Math2A. You have to do well in those classes, not the minimum standard in this situation and apply for the major change. It is still not a guarantee at that point whether or not the department will accept you into the major. You can contact an admissions counselor for more clarification. This is what I have gathered so far as my son is in the same boat. If admissions can’t give you a solid estimate of the percentage that do this and get in, perhaps you can contact an academic advisor in ICS on odds and chances.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight. Sorry for sounding dumb, but are all UCs like this where it’s hard to change your major? Still waiting on UCLA and UCSD.

When it comes to CS, I believe a lot of them are very hard to change into the major, but I don’t actually know. I’m basing this off of comments here and on Reddit plus knowing how impacted these majors are in the UCs. I have been told anecdotally (not directly by the school) that UCSD requires you to maintain either a 4.0 in these prerequisite classes (or at least close to it) and then you are put into a lottery to see if there is space to allow you into the major.

The general advice is to go to a school that has admitted you directly and skip the stress and uncertainty of trying to change into the major. College will be difficulty enough to adjust to the new life, independence, pace, and rigor of school. Having the added stress of working extra hard for an uncertain situation sounds like unnecessary stress.

Once again, thank you for your insight. I was leaning towards not going to UCI, but this just confirmed it.

2 Likes

Although this is a UCI discussion thread, here is the link for UCSD’s change of major policy for CSE. You need a 3.3 GPA for the screening courses and then placed into a lottery for the available spots.
https://changeofmajor.uci.edu/school-of-information-and-computer-sciences/

You will be happy and do well whether you ultimately choose to go!