UC Irvine Class of 2027 Official Thread

Did anoyone else attend Celebrate UCI today? It totally sold it for my DD who is now ready to register. My only “complaint” is there was not enough time to engage in all we planned to. But knowing it was mostly volunteers I totally give kudos to their efforts for a very helpyful and enjoable day.

3 Likes

We missed it today and are planning to fly in next week for a tour. Any tips on what we should check out?

We attended. They were offering tours and each college had booths staffed with very enthusiastic volunteers. We attended 2 presentations in lecture halls from the college of engineering. Very fun event! My dd got her UCI swag!

3 Likes

That sounds so fun! I got waitlisted but I am leaving my decision in God’s hands. Really want to get in as I am local and I have volunteered in many of their programs and organizations.

6 Likes

We could not attend this weekend since my D had her finals for National comp. The tours and swag would have been fun:) But she did sign the SIR so she’s in!

1 Like

Missed the Celebrate UCI event, but flying in a few days for a tour! Anything in addition to the tour that we need to check out? Pointers appreciated!!

check out the neighboring UTC and also drive by beach!

2 Likes

UC Irvine’s BME Society hosted an awesome event yesterday for admitted & prospective students. It was amazing with access to 4 Alumni, 5 Professors, Undergrad Research options, detailed LabTours. Glad we flew in for a day trip.

DS23 seems absolutely enamored now and ready to SIR over CWRU, UW Seattle, UMDCP, UIUC, UCSB.

4 Likes

Same for my son! He SIR’d when we got home! Zot! Zot! Zot!

7 Likes

Congratulations! Where did your other son decide to attend?

2 Likes

We’re in a holding pattern with my other son. He is on the waitlist at UCI and waiting on two financial appeals at LMU and Emerson. Technically, Emerson is his first choice, but with a COA at $75K, can’t make that fit into our budget, LOL.

Hoping to get clarification…We completed the housing application but what are next steps? I think I read the housing wishlist/preferences would be sent next, but to your UCI email address. What are the steps to get a UCI email address? Did we miss something? Trying to keep my newly admitted anteater on track!

2 Likes

I can’t remember exactly. If your student reads EVERY single word of EVERY single email (the one he listed when applying) everything will be fine. Also they must check their email EVERY single day INCLUDING the spam folder. If they do this everything will be fine. I also encourage all of you to join the parent Facebook group UCI PARENTS CHAT GROUP. It’s a great way to hear what’s going on and get answers to questions. Zot, zot!

3 Likes

A quick question -this relates to UCSB and UCI.

If accepted as an economics major is it possible to transfer to computer science?

how hard is to transfer?

Thanks in advance

To switch majors into CS at UCSB is almost impossible while UCI might be slightly easier but no guarantees if you meet the change of major criteria there will be room. If you are set on CS, then for the majority of the UC’s, you need a direct admit.

Admission to the Major
Students interested in computer science who apply to UCSB should declare the computer science major when they apply. Computer Science majors have priority when registering for all Computer Science courses. UCSB students in majors other than computer science may apply for change of major consideration into the Department of Computer Science once the minimum requirements are met (specified on the departmental web pages). The change of major application process is extremely competitive and a limited number of applications will be approved. No exceptions are made for the minimum requirements, and meeting the requirements does not guarantee admission to the major.
Students admitted to the computer science major are responsible for satisfying major requirements in effect when they declare their major. Upper and lower division courses required for the major that are offered by the Department of Computer Science or any other department must be taken for letter grades.

https://cs.ucsb.edu/education/undergraduate/prospective-students

For UCI see link but I would call the department to determine your chances for a major change. Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences

Very helpful! Thank you gumbymom

1 Like

Excited to announce that I will be going to UCI 27’ for the fallI! :blue_heart: :yellow_heart: :ant: :plate_with_cutlery: ZOT ZOT ZOT!

3 Likes

@gumbymom, Sorry need to ask a similar question. I somehow misunderstood my kid. It’s a minor in CS. So a minor in CS and major in economics (UCSB and UCI)
Not sure if it is possible and if the CS minor requirements are too many. I mean too many classes before taking the CS classes for the minor.

Any info about that would be very helpful.
TIA

UCSB does not offer a Minor in CS.

Here are the requirements for UCI’s minor:
https://catalogue.uci.edu/donaldbrenschoolofinformationandcomputersciences/informationandcomputerscience_minor/#requirementstext

So it is possible at UCI to minor in CS.

many thanks, gumbymom! you’re such a great help.

1 Like