UC Irvine or UC Santa Cruz (HELP)

<p>Okay, so I’m having difficulty in choosing between UCI and UCSC. I know UCI is better then UCSC overall, but I’m still having a hard time to choose. The reasons are…</p>

<li>UCSC is a lot closer to home ( I live in the BAY).</li>
<li>I’m aiming to go to Graduate school, either UCSF or UCSB.</li>
<li>My undergraduate major is Biological Sciences, but since I’m going to attend grad school, does it even matter which school I finish the major at?</li>
<li>I want to make college fun and not just study, work, study and homework… you know with occasional parties and just to hang out.</li>
<li>The atmosphere of the schools on weekends (Answer this if you attend those schools, Please)</li>
</ol>

<p>So these are my main concerns as of right now, and if anyone can put their thoughts in it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!</p>

<ol>
<li><p>i live in the bay, too. i'm really liking the socal atmosphere though, so the choice is easy for me. you're gonna have to visit.</p></li>
<li><p>graduate school can be acheived by getting good grades no matter where you are. honestly, getting the same grades at uci would hold slightly more weight at grad schools than ucsc.</p></li>
<li><p>yes, it does. school is a factor taken into account for admission into grad school. school isn't THAT important, but it does play a role. plus, uci has a stronger bio program.</p></li>
<li><p>both should be fine, though i hear uci's social scene is slightly lacking. not sure about ucsc. it all depends if you're willing to be active. if you are, any place would be good to have fun.</p></li>
<li><p>no clue on this.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>i can only comment on social scene. SC>I.</p>

<p>"3. My undergraduate major is Biological Sciences, but since I'm going to attend grad school, does it even matter which school I finish the major at?"</p>

<p>No, not really. Although remember you might change your goals, so a more rounded academic school (UCI) might be better.</p>

<p>ANYONE ELSE?! Please help!!!!!!!</p>

<p>I've heard UCI's bio program is pretty good. Personally I like UCI's campus more than Santa Cruz. And you can't beat UCI's location; Newport Beach, Orange County, San Diego and LA less than an hour away.</p>

<p>Throw in the fact that UCI is a higher ranked and more prestigious university and you've got a number of compelling reasons to go to UCI over UCSC.</p>

<p>Good luck with your choice!</p>

<p>Oh I'm in the same boat as you! Either UCI or UCSC for me. Here's my take on it (also remember that you're asking people on a COLLEGE forum that are avid college fanatics so of course majority is going to be saying Irvine.)</p>

<p>The only thing that's stopping me from sending my SIR into Santa Cruz is that UCI honestly does have such a better reputation, and if you don't plan on grad school I <em>heard</em> it's a good place to easily be recruited from. Other than that, in my high school experience good reputation does not equate to better classes. I go to an "academic" school, and the teachers suck, it's the students that make the school, but honestly they students aren't the ones who end up giving you the grade.</p>

<p>Anyway, after researching UCSC and UCI I honestly think if you're going for biological sciences UCSC isn't that far behind. REMEMBER a lot of the UC's reputation is based on GRAD programs. Also UCSC has excellent marine/environmental science programs (Actually science programs overall) if you end up changing your mind about the major. </p>

<p>And from what I've been hearing (yeah everything I'm writing is based on what I hear, but also remember when asking us for advice: none of us have been to both schools in the programs to compare them) UCSC completely concentrates on undergrad studies, while Irvine is divided between grad and undergrad. </p>

<p>If social scene is the issue I can say from personal experience that UCSC beats Irvine hands down if you like to party. This may be because Irvine is a commuter school, but when I went up to visit cousin, there was like nothing... When I visited there were people. Most all lower classmen at UCSC live on campus. Plus UCSC is very chill and very friendly people. Irvine has mostly asians, while UCSC is mostly white, if that matters. </p>

<p>Can you tell I really like UCSC? :D</p>

<p>Evil, you said "The only thing that's stopping me from sending my SIR into Santa Cruz is that UCI honestly does have such a better reputation, and if you don't plan on grad school I <em>heard</em> it's a good place to easily be recruited from."</p>

<p>My response: You can't easily be recruited from anywhere. Going to UCSC over UCI will not make much of a difference at all. If you have the gpa, and the test scores, it doesn't really matter where you come from unless it's an extreme college such as an ivy league. But comparing these two schools, I would say just go to the one that you feel more comfortable at. Plus, you will not receive much of a college experience at UCI and in my opinion, the college experience helps you get around tough situations throughout your life.</p>

<p>Location might make a difference though. A lot of biotech and businesses are located in SoCal, and with schools like UCI, UCLA, and UCSD churning out undergrad biologists, I don't think they're going to be holding job fairs up North to recruit all that many people from UCSC. </p>

<p>Of course, you're completely right when you say that GPA and test scores trump the school, but when the two schools are separated in rankings by ~30, it becomes reasonably clear that Irvine might have somewhat more superior education. With that being said, while it would still be really nice to see a 4.0 from SC, I think a graduate school or a job recruiter can afford to forgive a somewhat lower Irvine GPA.</p>

<p>And with respect to the college experience at Irvine, it's pretty accurate to say that the school is a commuter campus, but that doesn't mean you won't have a college experience. College is a time to make new friends and try to be more independent. Going to SC will leave you with a crutch, and Irvine can easily become the best 4 years of your life as long as you work towards that goal. Irvine is in a nice suburban area, close to the beach, and not far away from that really nice mall. Make a couple of SoCal friends and watch how commuter campus can easily translate to a great social environment.</p>

<p>Up here in the North there are no businesses, just vast wasteland, cows, crops and forests....honestly. ;)</p>

<p>My point being that SoCal tends to have the biotech and pharm companies, whereas NorCal has the Silicon Valley :)</p>

<p>It's ok Peppers I just get sick of people putting down Northern California like we all live on farms with no electricity, lol. There really are plenty of places to work here too. As was stated so well over in the UCI forum if you move back home, be that North or South your UC degree will be just as good as anyone elses. :)</p>

<p>As far as a campus experience, while UCSC's students might not leave on the weekends as much as UCI's students do, UCI's campus is a much more fuller campus and more well-rounded. UCI pulls in a lot of speakers, concerts at the Bren Center (like John Legend) and fairly decent sports teams (the baseball team is in the top 20 and men's volleyball team is in the top 5.) </p>

<p>I too have spent time at UCSC and really liked it. However for me, it felt a little too much like a "niche" school and not as "complete" as say a UCD, UCSB or UCI.</p>

<p>I am a recent UCI grad and I have to say, I hear and read a lot more from UCI professors in the news etc. I work in finanical services and when I watch CNBC, they frequently interview experts from different campuses. Regularly, they have on a guy from UCB and...... UCI. I have also seen a professor from UCI on 60 Minutes, Hans Kierstad, who was profiled about his work in stem cell research. This is just a general statement, so you get a sense of how UCI's name is out there - although might not matter too much to you.</p>

<p>I just came back from visiting UCI, and my overall impression was that the city seemed relaxed, and everything that happens, happens in UCI. While I was touring the campus, it seemed as if every corner I turned there were buildings being built. The campus was great, but compared to other schools, it seemed...I don't know, EMPTY.
For those who contributed to this thread, THANK YOU for your input, and now I have a couple more questions before selecting between these two campus' and that is...</p>

<p>If I get the same GPA at both schools and around the same MCAT score, who would they take the UCI student or the UCSC student? both?
What if a UCSC student had a higher GPA, and around the same score on the MCAT as a UCI student, who will they accept? Vice-Versa?</p>

<p>alluong
I suggest you post this question over in the pre-medical topics section of CC.</p>

<p>I asked my mom [who has been through the med school process and was on the admissions committee] this same question. If you are applying to out of california med schools ( which is highly likely), it doesn't really matter. They recognize UC to be... a UC, and know its status in a universal sense. The whole UCSC vs. UCI thing is far beyond what they want to spend their time determining. They do however recognize the prestige of say UCLA/UCB vs. UCSC/UCI. If you are absolutely certain about entering as a pre-med, I suggest you should make your decision based on where you can get a high GPA , good counselor support, and a chance to do community service and research opportunities. Of course, If you want to go to UCLA med school or any other in state med school, they will weigh UCI GPA over UCSC. </p>

<p>good luck =]</p>

<p>Di_Nate, late man, but thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>I went to UCSC for a tour to learn more about the academics and I gotta say I love the personal feel it has for academics, while the campus isn't like a fanatic academic driven body. Written evaluations after every class, the hands on/ take action requirements they have in classes (Specifically their physical sciences), and the campus environment to study in is very relaxing. Plus the fact that a field study/ studying abroad is an actual requirement for a lot of the majors (and they help you make it happen), rather than just an option, sold me.</p>

<p>So I'm aware it has the lesser reputation, and that I will also be a minority on campus, which I'm not used to, so I'll definitely be out of my comfort zone. </p>

<p>But I think I want to spend those thousands and a place I'll like.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice^^</p>

<p>Anymore?</p>

<p>Totally having the same problem as you. UCI or Santa Cruz.
Most of my friends are going to UCSC, but they didn't put in the amount of effort I did in high school- personally I just feel cheated that I didn't get in anywhere else but these two UCs.</p>

<p>Anyways, I feel if I went to UCSC I didn't have to work so hard in high school which is totally bumming me out.</p>

<p>and the thing is I am a very social person. I smoke weed, drink- have a good time and get good grades; I'm indian, but for some reason I don't really get a long with other asians- all of my friends are white</p>

<p>so I feel if I go to UCI I won't like it at all, there will be a major lack of cute boys, I'll have to struggle more in classes- etc.</p>

<p>But my parents are making me go.</p>

<p>and frankly I hate that. I want to have a good college experience; I'm signed up for pre-med so I figure I'm going to be successful no matter what- you can't go wrong being a doctor right?!</p>

<p>ashjdhasdhjl'l;;</p>

<p>I just don't know</p>

<p>oh, and I heard the food in UCI succksss. eww. I am a big food person- i thought they would have a lot of good asian food cause like half of the student body is asian.</p>

<p>LET DOWN!</p>

<p>someone help me make this dicision too!!!</p>

<p>ANj - you just said your parents are making you go to Irvine. </p>

<p>We cannot help you there, though I think it is stupid if the decision makers are your parents and not yourself. You worked hard to get into college, and now that your 18, its your time to decide where you want to go. </p>

<p>There must be some reasoning why your parents are so certain about Irvine. Bring them to both campuses, as Santa Cruz is much better looking. I think you should go whereever your heart tells you to go. You will get about the same education at both Universities, and although Irvine is more prestigious, it may not work in your favor. It will be more competitve for med programs, and the graduate schools really only look at your GPA and test scores when it comes down to it.</p>