UC political Science major

Hi yall,

I already applied to UCB, UCSC, UCSB, UCI, UCD, UCR, and UCM. I am applying as a political science major.
I have a 3.38 UW GPA and 3.7 W. I have a 26 act, and my EC’s are pretty good with an international award and a solo at Carnegie hall. I work 2 jobs and about 30 hours per week, one is a start-up business that I have founded (but its not that professional). I come from a single parent household.

Many people have told me that since I am applying as a humanities major I will get into all of the UC’s easily. But is that really true, please chance me for the UC’s.

Political Science is a Social Science not a Humanities.

Many of the UCs on your list do not considered major during the admissions process. Although, I’m not as familiar with Merced and Riverside. There are exceptions like those majoring in engineering. Based on my experience, wanting to major in political science will not make a differences.

Your stats have to be competitive with the other students who will be applying. You can’t think that because your are Poli Sci, that your standards can be lower. It doesn’t work that way.

I already posted the GPA admit information on your other thread, but as stated by several posters, your stats need to be within range regardless of major. Also pointed out that the Political science major is in the College of Letters and Sciences for most of the UC’s which do not admit by major so you are competing with applicants with a variety of intended majors such as Biology, Computer Science, Psychology etc…

The average UC GPA for all but 3 of the UC’s (UCSC/UCR/UCM) is 4.0 or higher.
Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79:

UCB: 2%- High Reach
UCLA: 3%
UCSD: 6%
UCD: 15%- Reach
UCSB: 14%- Reach
UCI: 13%- Reach
UCSC: 59%- High Match
UCR: 78%- Match
UCM: 92%- Safety

Your ACT score is within range for all but UCSB and UCB, but at the 25th percentile for UCI and UCD.

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT:
UCB: 30-34
UCLA: 30-34
UCSD: 29-34
UCSB: 28-33
UCD: 26-32
UCI: 26-32
UCSC: 26-31
UCR: 23-30
UCM: 20-27

Overall your target UC’s would be UCM, UCR and UCSC. Hopefully you applied to a few Cal states and have another safety besides UC Merced. Best of luck.

UCR and UCM are likely to accept you.
Good luck.