**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

Case is a very good school. I lived in Cleveland and actually, went school there years ago. The fall is beautiful in the North but winter is extremely brutal and depressing. With Lakes around town and snow effect, winter safety would be my biggest concern if my kids choose to spend college life there. Also, Cleveland doesn’t have very good economy and internship/job opportunities would be a problem. Hope this helps.

UCSD is a different story. Best weather and location. Close to LA with tons of job opportunities.

When it comes to undergraduate study, location location location…

Hi, son got into UCLA, CMU and UCSD. CA student, COA about same for UCLA/CMU, and ~20k/y less for SD. Looking for some guidance to help him choose.

UCLA: undeclared for Data Theory
CMU/UCSD: Engineering, interested in Robotics as well

Ty for at least being honest. Everyone has told D it doesnt matter where you spend your undergrad and im like yeah it does (to a point).
You need the opportunities to get research, internships etc if you are wanting a grad degree and many places do not have them or have so few its almost impossible to get placed into one.

If coat being the same and you can afford the COA at CMU, I would pick CMU. Recruiting hub and more name recognition than UCSD. Direct admit > UCLA undeclared. Google and other companies have quite a presence in CMU campus.

Should I take the risk and enroll as an undeclared? I want to eventually transfer to BME. If would not be able to transfer I would take up pharmaceutical sciences. How does the pay for the majors differ?

HANDS DOWN = If cost is not an issue, then Carnegie Mellon for engineering/robotics. No comparison in terms of the education and job opportunities upon graduation.

1 Like

Biomed Engr/Engr is normally >>> health sciences if both are undergrad degrees.

Exciting news from Jacobs.

This is great!! I think among public school, UCSD is #7 in engr!

1 Like

Has anyone done a self tour of UCSD recently? Is there any building opened for self tour?

@dadbound25 Was there last Sat. Buildings were not opened to public (students were moving back in) but we found a self-guided tour map and the kids did their own tour.

2 Likes

Is economics a good major at UCSD??? Also is political science a good major at UCSD??? Thanks.

You might want to look at the ranking of these majors at UCSD vs the rest of the country. What made you decide to apply to UCSD with these majors in mind? What drew you to UCSD? Their dept pages may be helpful.

My son is admitted for Econ and I have been doing lots of research. UCSD is a very reputable school for Econ major and ranked #12 in the nation and around #35 worldwide. The Econ departments has few good programs, such as Econ, Management Science, Math-Econ, and the newest major starting in Fall2021 called Business Econ. The overall ranking and major ranking are both good and I am positive that the study experience will be awesome! We are excited and hope you are too;)

1 Like

I got waitlisted at ucsd, do I have to write or send anything to improve my chances on getting accepted or do I just wait till their decision?

Some say you should but i just read from Georgia Tech website yesterday that not to bomb the AO. It says it is totally random when it comes to waitlist. They might simply want to have students from each state and there happens to have one senior from Alaska state to complete the picture etc…Follow your heart…Wish you best luck regardless what you decide to do.

Just opt into the waitlist. No LOCI’s are accepted and just wait for a decision but in the meantime get excited about the acceptances you already have.

2 Likes

If an applicant apply for CS and get waitlisted, will he get the CS major when he get off the waitlist? Or he will be Undeclared? Thanks.

There is a very very rare chance a CS major would get off the waitlist into CS but most likely it will be your alternate or Undeclared.

CMU is definitely the best. Google has a AI/Robotics center in Pittsburg.
You are CA resident and the COA is same for UCLA and CMU? Unless there is grant and scholarship, CMU costs $35K more each year.