**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

Would you choose UCSD with Regents over UCLA? My son is fortunate to receive Regents scholarship at UCSD for BME, and is trying to decide whether to choose it over UCLA (Biophysics). He’s looking to go into biomedical research (or maybe medicine). Any input is appreciated

My son got in (undeclared social sciences as they are forced to put something, but really undecided). UCs are not a top consideration for us but, of the UCs, UCSD is the best fit due to the college system. He ranked Revelle 1st and ERC 4th, but he got into ERC. How do they determine college placement?
Revelle seemed to be good for a liberal arts type kid, so not even getting into it turns him off from UCSD. ERC seems to have a ton of writing, which is one of his strengths, and I suppose some of his interests line up with the core writing courses.
Just curious… we are focusing on private colleges so it’s probably not a huge deal.

@chrisn21 i would 100% choose UCSD if my kid got regents. Earlier class registration is worth its weight in gold, as well as mentorship. UCSD is #8 in the country for bio sciences (ahead of Johns Hopkins). It’s got a strong engr program.

I was at UCSD last July and the entire campus was under construction. Dust everywhere. Forklifts, metal fences. I thought, “How could the students possibly function here?!” Drove in today. My jaws dropped from no construction in sight as I drove from seventh to ERC to Sixth and Marshal. Students look like they’re moving in.

It’s definitely it’s own bubble, but so close to the ocean. If anyone’s kid is in the Sixth College. Whoa. I think in terms of the campus itself, it’s beautiful. The immediate area is beautiful. However, when I think about UCDavis, UCLA, UCI, I do think students can walk outside of campus and have places to go for daily things like restaurants, etc that is a quick walk. I think UCSD, you’d have to find a bus route and it’s still 20-30 min away from SD.

This may be the reason to sway my son to UCI. UCSD campus, itself, is amazing.

1 Like

This was really helpful!! Thank you :slight_smile:

I got in case western for BME and UCSD as undeclared. Both have the same COA for me. Which one should I look at? Is it very hard to transfer to a capped major at UCSD I heard the campus is really beautiful. If possible please guide me here. I’m stuck and confused here.

Case - v.good for biological programs
UCSD - ranked in single digits for bme.

If he is looking to go into biomedical research then either biophysics or bioengineering are ok for that. If he wants to be an engineer in the bio industry then bioengineering would be the ideal path. Biophysics will naturally lead to a more research heavy career. It will be easier to maintain a higher gpa for biophysics than bioengineering since bioengineering is slightly harder and has less GE/liberal arts breadth classes to pad the GPA (important for PhD programs and med school). For med school engineers don’t get a break from admissions for their “harder” courses.

How much do you value the guaranteed classes? For some that assurance is worth its weight in gold. However, the myth you can’t get classes at UCLA is greatly exagerated. The four year graduation rate is great and internal stats show that most of the students not reaching that mark either switch majors too many times/totally different fields too late or are not passing classes consistently.

Both UCSD and UCLA are fine schools academically and I think they offer almost identical rigor as math and science can only be taught so many ways. All the UC’s use the same physics textbook for instance.

The main difference is the school environments. For me UCSD felt too isolated and I was not a fan of the 7 college system. UCLA to me offered a much more well rounded experience but I would look at what fit your son feels is best. Its supposed to be the best four years of his life and its generally accepted happy students do better academically. Best of luck he has awesome choices.

Official UC Description of UCSD:
"Sun. Sea. Surfing. Our campus at UC San Diego has plenty of obvious charms.

But you’ll also find one of the world’s leading research universities—second in the world, to be exact—and over 130 undergraduate courses across five disciplines.

San Diego puts a different spin on what it means to be a university. It’s not just about your subject, but what you choose to focus on. There are seven colleges in total, each with its own theme and educational requirements. Students get to make their own choice, and see where they fit.

There’s an impressive and award-winning faculty too, including Five Nobel laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners, Fields Medal winners, Tony winners, Oscar winners…

The weather is incredible. The facilities are world-class. You’re sure to be swept away by life at UC San Diego."

Official UC Description of UCLA:
"One century. 14 Nobel Prizes. 261 Olympic Medals. And 13 MacArthur Fellows. UCLA has the numbers—but we’re about much more than numbers.

Through a century of optimism, this university has done some incredible things. For example, our faculty and alumni helped invent a little thing known as the internet—and we’ve since created over 140 companies using technology developed on-campus.

UCLA’s optimism is more than just a sunny disposition. It’s in our DNA. Underneath the clear Californian skies, in one of the world’s biggest cities, you’ll find 40,000 staff and students, each looking to redefine what’s possible.

Because at UCLA, you’ll soon learn that anything is possible."

2 Likes

I think when you said San Diego is 20-30 min away, you meant downtown San Diego. Actually, there is UTC mall which is much better than UCI mall and it’s only minutes from UCSD campus. And on the south side of the campus, on La Jolla Village Drive, there are groceries, restaurants and other shops. There is a trolley Blue Line light rail that will open this Fall that you can take it from UCSD campus right to downtown.

1 Like

I think the point is the walk v having to take transit, though…which is a concern of mine as well. It’s really nice when kids can walk off campus and have a lot of other options at their fingertips. It makes the school feel like it’s part of a larger community IMO.

I continue to have reservations about whether SD is the right fit for my son, but we only have one decision pending (USC not likely based on other rejections) and it’s seeming to be where he is continuing to lean. In other ways it could be a great fit.

Several of the student videos talk about a vibe of “we are all LA and Cal rejects” and that makes me sad. SD is a terrific school and kids shouldn’t feel they settled to attend!

I do think the trolley is going to be an amazing add to campus.

1 Like

Understand the walking v.s. taking a bus. Just that when the campus is large like UCLA or UCSD, unless the kids are at the edge of the campus, they still have to bike or take the campus loop bus to places. UCI is a commuter campus. I wasn’t sure if other OOS parents realize that. There is a mall right off the campus but to go find more restaurants or shops outside of that, kids still need to drive or take a bus.

I have just heard (haven’t gone to look for it yet) that Target has just opened at UCSD campus.

I feel that UCSD is quite progressive now as far as the investment in new facilities based on their strategic plan and so many new facilities are added. We walked around the campus the other day and everything are very new and nice looking. It is a beautiful campus. Of course, different vibes than UCLA which feels more urban.

https://plan.ucsd.edu/campus-transformation
(Most the buildings in the strategic plan are completed this year and next year).

I completely agree that the kids should go with where it’s the best fit. My son applied for smaller liberal art colleges but I think he is too technical that the AO probably thought he was not a good fit. We saw the trend of where he got admitted, all are larger universities that leaning liberal arts.
Looking at these giving us an understanding that the AO of each colleges must have look at the fits based on the EC’s and Essay. I have not seen the Cal and LA rejects YouTube, but I would like to think that the kids will get over with it soon. They will realize this is not the end of the world and the college is what they make out of it : )

2 Likes

Yes, they opened up a mini Target in the Price Center! I was so happy that there’s at least a place on campus to get something beyond essentials at the markets. I think that’s a huge add to the campus.

I also think the investments they’re making in new buildings, expanding housing, trolley stop, shows a commitment to improving things and that’s really encouraging to see. My son is STEM and there are two new buildings under construction now that are absolutely spectacular.

Are you local to SD area?

I agree with you about OOS students perhaps not realizing what UCI is like. The commuter student rate is considerably higher than some of the other UCs. My son was fortunate to be offered Regents there, but none of us loved it when we toured 18 months ago. you tube videos can only tell some of the story!!

1 Like

Thank you so much for a detailed response. It helps. He’ll need to soak these in.

Cleveland - cold, lots of snow. San Diego - sunny beautiful coast line

Weather wise it’s hard to beat San Diego. UCSD campus is beautiful but I felt like it’s big and isolated, and felt like UCSC for some reason when I visited it a few years back. I don’t feel the same lively vibe as UCLA, UCB, UCI, or UCD. Maybe it’s just me.

I don’t know how hard it is to transfer into the capped major like BME. @Gumbymom, @10s4life and @lkg4answers seem to be very knowledgeable in the UCs forums.

Good luck in your decisions.

2 Likes

Here is some inofromation regarding switching into BME at UCSD.

** 3.2. Freshman Student Advising
(3.2.1) Q: Can I still apply for Bioengineering or Bioengineering: Biotechnology majors if I was admitted to UCSD with a different major?

A: No, The only way for a student to become a Bioengineering or Bioengineering: Biotechnology major as a freshman at UCSD is to be directly admitted from high school at the time of entrance into UCSD. (Margene Wight, 2007.06.11)**

** Entering Freshmen: As an entering Freshman, if you either apply but are not accepted into the “capped” Bioengineering, Bioengineering: Biotechnology; Bioengineering: Bioinformatics or Bioengineering: Biosystems major directly from high school, OR if you didn’t initially apply to one of those majors, you will be able to apply “one time only” to one of the four “capped” majors in the first week of school in the subsequent fall quarter, as you begin your Sophomore year as a “Continuing” student.

If applying to the Bioengineering or Bioengineering: Biotechnology majors, you must have already completed the following 9 lower division courses, obtaining a grade of “C-“or above, before the start of your fall quarter, Sophomore year: MATH 20ABC (20AB = 2 courses in Calculus for Science & Engineering & 20C = Calculus & Analytic Geometry for Science & Engineering); CHEM 6A (General Chemistry I) and CHEM 6B (General Chemistry II); PHYSICS 2A (Physics-Mechanics) & PHYSICS 2B (Physics-Electricity & Magnetism). PHYSICS 2AB are intended for physical science and engineering majors; MAE 8 (MATLAB Programming for Engineering Analysis); and BILD 1 (Cell Biology).

If applying to the Bioengineering: Bioinformatics major, you must have already completed the following 9 or 10 courses, obtaining a grade of “C-” or above, before the start of your fall quarter, Sophomore year: MATH 20ABC (20AB = 2 courses in Calculus for Science & Engineering & 20C = Calculus & Analytic Geometry for Science & Engineering); CHEM 6A (General Chemistry I) and CHEM 6B (General Chemistry II); PHYSICS 2A (Physics-Mechanics) & PHYSICS 2B (Physics-Electricity & Magnetism). PHYSICS 2AB are intended for physical science and engineering majors; BILD 1 (Cell Biology); CSE 11 (Introduction to Computer Science and Object-Oriented Programming: Java) or CSE 8A (Java) and CSE 8B (Java B). CSE 8A/B are equivalent to CSE 11.

If applying to the Bioengineering: BioSystems major, you must have already completed the following 8 courses, obtaining a grade of “C-” or above, before the start of your fall quarter, Sophomore year:MATH 20ABC (20AB = 2 courses in Calculus for Science & Engineering & 20C = Calculus & Analytic Geometry for Science & Engineering); CHEM 6A (General Chemistry I) and CHEM 6B (General Chemistry II); PHYSICS 2A (Physics-Mechanics) & PHYSICS 2B (Physics-Electricity & Magnetism). PHYSICS 2AB are intended for physical science and engineering majors.

If you have satisfied any of the required 9 courses by Advance Placement (“AP”) in high school, the relevant “requirement” is satisfied and your GPA will be based on the other required courses (e.g., if you have AP credit for MATH 20A, your GPA will be based on the remaining 8 required courses). If you have met some of the courses by Advance Placement (“AP”) work, please be advised of the following: A minimum of 3 courses listed must have been completed at UC San Diego. If students can not meet this 3-course minimum due to prior credit, students may offer grades for MATH 20D (Differential Equations), MATH 18 (Linear Algebra) or MATH 20E (Vector Calculus) until the 3 course minimum has been met.

Each fall quarter, a certain number (determined on an annual basis) of “Continuing” Sophomore students who apply will be selected to enter the “impacted” Bioengineering; Bioengineering: Biotechnology; Bioengineering: Bioinformatics; or Bioengineering: Biosystems major. The selection process is entirely based on students having the highest GPA obtained in the 8-10 screening courses.

Yes we are local.

S21 is admitted to CS and at Warren. He is waitlisted CS at UCI, though when all the dust settles I think he has a good chance to be off the waitlist. I am personally a big fan of liberal arts education. We believe that it will make our STEM oriented son become more well-rounded and have a better communication and writing skills which are very important to move up the career. I believe that any technically strong engineer graduates can get a job, but to thrive in their fields they need more than technical abilities. They need a soft skills. That is why UCSD college system (liberal arts oriented) is very attractive to us parents (My son probably hasn’t thought that far out. He just want to go somewhere he can study CS). We also consider UCSC which is also a liberal art college system. But we are currently more impressed with the investment of the state of the art facilities that UCSD put in for the last few years. Also, my son is interested in robotics. He is a president of his hs club. UCSD has a relatively new Robotics Contextual Institute that they draw the students from all engineering, cognitive science and com sci disciplines from Jacobs to research on cutting edge robotics projects. Pretty cool.

https://jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/news/release/2901

My son is a UCLA reject, but we don’t feel anything (didn’t apply to Cal because we knew up front it wasn’t a good fit. My wife used to live in Berkeley and she already knew Cal enough that we knew our son won’t be happy in that environment.). Just didn’t think that it matters going to CS between LA or SD. The admission this year is so brutal for CS. He has 3 more out of state decisions, but for the OOS tuition I think our in state tuition is still much better even though we don’t get any financial aid!

2 Likes

UCLA is actually a very small campus. About a third of UCSD at 400ish acres. Most students walk or use bird scooters. Its about a 20 min walk from the farthest apartments in westwood to the farthest classrooms on campus. It is small enough that once on campus and with back to back classes, the 10min break in between is enough to use the restroom and make it to the next class.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I just want to know some more information about premed and research at UCSD. If there is anyone that I could direct message to answer some specific questions (possibly juniors and seniors) that would be great!

My daughter got into the neuro program at 6th and was sooooooooo excited, especially bc the brand new dorms and it being one of the top schools for her major, until we realized her FA package was not an affordable option and told her she had to choose another school she got into.

@aj8145, you posted this question in several forums. You might receive a better response if you start a new topic asking about pre-med research at USC, UCD, UCSD and UC Berkeley.

Let me try to help you. We live in Austin, son accepted by UT Austin and UCSD Econ. We have decided to pay out of state tuition to attend UCSD, and reasons are: 1. SD has absolutely higher ranking especially worldwide reputation. To undergraduate degree, school ranking is important as major can be changed later or enhanced by double major, minors, or graduate study at a later time 2. SD has better connection and resources as the entire UC is one pool to share. For ECON majors, the selection of global partners are more, and global seminars are more 3. ECON major itself, SD has five choices, ECON-Math, ECON Mgmt, Applied ECON (sth like that), ECON and Government Policy 5 year Bachelor + Master program, and the newest major open in fall 2021, the Business ECON, which sounds like a perfect choice and more of a undergraduate business major 4. All the different ECON focus allows you to have either B.A or B.S, not just Labral Arts major and less applicable in job market if you don’t want to pursue a master’s Hope this helps. Just from my own research, no offend to other schools. We love UT too since we are in town;)