**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

Yeah this was a problem when I attended UCSD many many moons ago. I was fortunate in that I was accepted directly into my major so I didnt face this issue. Are kids who are accepted directly into the major still given priority access to classes?

Nope… really how it works, the students who come in with the highest amount of AP classes completed get priority. My dd still had many but so many high achieving students at UCSD that she still gets a terrible registration date and wait lists. It’s a system we don’t know how to work. Lol! I guess take every AP course imaginable in HS and then you get priority registration. :wink:

Isn’t that because they are a few quarters ahead so they are not competing for classes that their cohort needs? Example: After winter quarter of their freshman year, they might have sophomore standing and get an earlier registration date than their cohort. Also, they are registering for sophomore classes (ex linear algebra instead of the Calc series).

Course registration times are based upon units completed. An average freshman finishes 45 units at the end of their first year. By taking an extra 1-2 unit class each quarter, one might be assigned earlier pass times. Students who take summer school also end up with more units than their peers and get earlier pass times.

Many UCs do not include AP units in the determination of pass times.

Do UC’s see which UC campuses you have applied to? I am thinking they have to, since it’s all there on the UC Portal !

No.

No, that was what we thought too. My dd technically came in with sophomore standing, and she had a plan that easily would have allowed her to graduate in 3 years. But every quarter has been a nightmare trying to get the classes she needs, last minute changes to try and fill a class with something else. As much as we have loved UCSD, this is the one thing that has left a sour taste in our mouth. She’ll have to drag out a 4th year simply because she couldnt get all the classes she needs this year. She was a direct admit into human bio…

1 Like

Really good to know for those of us with kids who’ve applied. SD is our local school, and while it’s not our son’s top choice, it’s definitely high on his list of UC options. He has a lot of AP credits. i’ve heard from other local friends that the class registration is a nightmare and that a lot of kids end up going more than 4 years because of it. But I hear that about nearly every school these days!

1 Like

Not true… my dd has taken 16-18 units every quarter and has never been given a good registration time.

When do you’ll think decisions will be out?

Most people are speculating this Friday, March 19th. As for the time, just expect the entire afternoon.

Read at least twice. My cousin is a reader for Berkeley, Cornell, and they’re similar processes.

2 Likes

Good to know but hard to believe.

1 Like

but isn’t UCLA releasing on the 19th? I thought that two different UCs never release on the same day.

No that’s not true. Ucs do release on the same day sometimes.

3 Likes

I wonder if dual enrollment (community college) classes are in the same category as AP classes, or different when it comes to how they’re counted for registration prioritization.

I wish there was a way to know this about each school. Other than looking at 4-year graduation rates, any idea how we can know this?

I hope so! I have 56 dual enrollment credits and two associates that are transferable to the UC schools.

but decisions don’t have to be released on a friday either

UCs are finicky about what classes they take from CCs. CC classes are designed to transfer well to Cal States, but not quite comparable to the UC system. UCs are also notorious for being impacted in many areas so getting classes needed to graduate can be an obstacle that results in extending time to graduation regardless of CC credits.