UC San Diego Class of 2027 Official Thread

Didn’t receive the email.

There was an email in early March (I got it March 2) that was titled “Stay Connected with UC San Diego” which said decisions would be released by mid-March.

4 Likes

We got it too, it said by mid-March.

2 Likes

My son, a 2020 graduate from UCSD got his first choice.

2 Likes

On a similar note, are you aware if they offer students admission with colleges that are not their first choice? I know we ranked other choices, but just wondering if they’re less inclined to offer admission if they can’t meet your top option.

Yes, some admits do not get their 1st choice nor their 2nd or 3rd choice college.

1 Like

Oh, interesting.

1 Like

@Gumbymom can you debunk this worry? Does college choice affect admission in any way (I would assume it doesn’t)?

1 Like

@primitive_caffeine

Your residential college choice does not affect your admission decision. The residential college system at UCSD is not major specific.

4 Likes

Hello Everyone. Im curious about this college systems and how majors relate to this can someone please explain?

1 Like

Look at the comment above. @Gumbymom confirmed that your residential college option won’t affect your admissions chances. Also, you can major in anything at any of the residential colleges, although I think GE requirements vary.

3 Likes

Ok I see thank you

2 Likes

There are no specific majors associated with each Residential college but some colleges are more popular with students that are enrolled in specific majors.

Muir is popular with STEM majors since they have more flexibility and fewer GE requirements than other colleges. Most STEM majors have a more rigid course curriculum so flexibility is helpful.

Marshall is seen as the second easiest with GEs. Because this college is dedicated to the humanities and public service, this tends to be the preferred choice of the political science/econ majors.

Warren contains the Jacobs School of Engineering within its grounds, and therefore it is a popular choice for prospective engineering students.

Checking the GE requirements, the College mission and location are all important when selecting a college.

3 Likes

Tysm for the information. i just have to wait a few more days lol

1 Like

UCSD is the one college which if they thing the student is a great candidate will still admit the student, but admit them as undeclared vs. rejecting them because they did not get into their major.

My oldest was in Warren which he chose specifically because he did not want to have to take a language in college and for GE’s, Warren does not require a foreign language.

That being said, by second year, he was living off campus with kids from all of the different colleges. It is only freshman year and GE’s that make a difference in which college they are in. He was a 2020 graduate so I do know there was supposed to be individual college graduations, but we did not get that opportunity. However, I will say that coming from a STEM major at UCSD, he had no issues with getting a job even during the pandemic. UCSD offers so many opportunities for lab work (with being surrounded by so many different research facilities). And I know this was 2016 when he started, but they also guaranteed any student who needed a campus job would get one so before my son got paid lab work, he was able to work in food service.

3 Likes

Does anyone know what time UCSD typically posts decisions?

Usually after 3PM PST.

2 Likes

Email stated by mid-March. So most definitely should be this week. My guess is Thursday or Friday, but technically it could mean any day this week.

"We want to take a moment to thank you for your patience as we continue to review fall 2023 applications.

Our Admissions team is on track to release application decisions by mid-March for first-years, and we greatly appreciate your understanding of the time and diligence it takes to give each applicant the consideration they deserve."

3 Likes

All their socials say end of march:) That makes me think it will be the 24th . Hoping for the 17th but seems unlikely. I hope I am wrong. Also Thank You for always being so kind and informative!

1 Like

My S21 is also in Warren :slight_smile: He was able to declare a minor in business, so that took care of the social science and humanities. He did choose foreign language for humanities requirement although it is not required for Warren.

Just FYI for future applicants, UCSD is considered a liberal arts university. Students are required to take courses outside their major. They call it Area of Study and they are part of the GEs for each colleges. So, for STEM major, students are to take humanities and social science courses, and vice versa art students are also required to take math/science related courses So, if you are applying for UCSD, please look at the GEs for each colleges very closely when ranking them in your application. It’s not just about ranking the dorm ifself.

Good luck to all students here. Hope you will be a future Triton!

2 Likes