UC San Diego Class of 2027 Official Thread

It was recorded and they said they would send it out -though I can’t say how valuable we found it…no pictures of Eighth College at all and a quick review of the colleges you could easily find online.

1 Like

Excellent! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea when these decisions get released from UC San Diego? Forgive me, I haven’t read all the way up-thread.

1 Like

UCSD decision release date will be sometime between mid-March and March 31.

Here’s another thread about UC release dates (in general): http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/decision-dates-2023/

1 Like

Oh ok. Thanks. I thought that school would release decisions sooner then some of the other UC schools for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Here is the UCSD decision date for 2022: Friday March 18 around 4:30 PST

All the UC’s post their decisions in March with the exception of UCB which admits will some High Stats, Special program admits and Regents invitees in February. Some other campuses have posted some February admits like UCI CHP/Regents and UCSB’s Chancellor Reception Invitees (reception not done for the last several years) but those timelines has been pushed back into March recently.

3 Likes

I’m clearly clueless. My daughter applies to schools, but I really don’t know the specifics of it. I probably don’t want to know.

I apologize if any of this has been answered before. My DD is applying for General Biology first choice, then Undeclared as second. From what I read so far, UCSD accepts into university first, then they match students for their major choices. Default for not being accepted into their choices mean Undeclared. So here are my questions:

1. Will choice of major within the capped Biology department (e.g., General Biology vs Human Biology) have any impact on her probability of being accepted to UCSD as a whole?

2. Will choosing a non-capped major for second choice (i.e. BioChem) have any impact on probability of being accepted to UCSD? (The only rationale behind this would be if for whatever reason, Undeclared is considered more competitive than a non-capped major (i.e., BioChem).

3. Is there any historical info on the school’s acceptance rate into being able to declare Comp Sci as a minor?

4. Is BioChem still non-capped?

5. I read on UCSD website that changing majors within a department is pretty much automatic and takes about 2 days. So if my DD isn’t doing too well in BioChem, how easy is it to switch to Math-CS? Also, I’ve read somewhere that Math-CS is now capped on the UC application.

TIA!

Will choice of major within the capped Biology department (e.g., General Biology vs Human Biology) have any impact on her probability of being accepted to UCSD as a whole?

No, since both majors are capped along with the department and students admitted into the department can change majors.

Will choosing a non-capped major for second choice (i.e. BioChem) have any impact on probability of being accepted to UCSD? (The only rationale behind this would be if for whatever reason, Undeclared is considered more competitive than a non-capped major (i.e., BioChem).

No, but if Biochem is an area of interest then the student does not need to go through the process of changing/ declaring the major.

Is there any historical info on the school’s acceptance rate into being able to declare Comp Sci as a minor?

No and you can minor in CS however:

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high demand for CSE courses, CS minors do not receive priority for CSE classes and we cannot guarantee you will be able to complete the minor requirements before graduation. Because of this, minor required courses should be taken out of academic interests and not solely to earn the CS minor designation on a transcript.

Is BioChem still non-capped?

Yes

I read on UCSD website that changing majors within a department is pretty much automatic and takes about 2 days. So if my DD isn’t doing too well in BioChem, how easy is it to switch to Math-CS? Also, I’ve read somewhere that Math-CS is now capped on the UC application.

Math-CS is no longer capped but in a different department than Biochem so below is how to change majors. Approval may take longer than a few days. How to Declare or Change a Major (Undergraduates)

2 Likes

@Gumbymom As always, absolutely love your guidance! Thank you so much!
I didn’t realize a change from BioChem to Math-CS would require cross-dept approval. Since they’re both in Physical Sciences and now that I know Math-CS is no longer capped, I would’ve assumed it’d be automatic.

1 Like

You are correct that both majors are under the Physical Science department so maybe you do not need approval from the specific major advisors to switch. I would get clarification to be sure especially since Math-CS was a capped major until recently.

Will do! Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Does UCSD do auto admit for high stat students? saw someone shared that UCSB does that. Thanks.

High stat students (students with high UC GPA) have a good chance of admission to these schools, but it is not auto-admit.

This post will give you an idea of admit rates by UC capped weighted GPA: 2021 UC Admit Rates based on Capped Weighted UC GPA

friend got major introduction email 2 days after she received the portal login credentials. she’s wondering if she’s possibly admitted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the link. Her’s is very high. So she hopes there’s auto-admit. :slight_smile:

It is not an auto-admit, even with very high GPA. Admission is holistic and based on 13 criteria listed here: How applications are reviewed | UC Admissions

She received an email specifically for the introduction to the major she applied for, two days after the email for login credentials. I didn’t get that email for major introduction. So, we are both wondering… Any one who got that kind of email for the selected major?

My son received an email like this shortly after he submitted his application (for a capped engineering major). The email is entitled “Resources in (major) at UC San Diego.” It says that “our team is excited to review your application,” explains that the major he selected is a capped major and that he can change it until January 31, and includes some information about his major, links to resources, careers and outcomes, etc.

My interpretation of this email was that it was probably standard information sent to all students who selected capped majors.

Did your friend get something different?

3 Likes

My daughter received a similar email for her major 2 days after submission…same info as tamagotchi noted. My D did not choose a capped major though, so I’m not sure how to interpret the email.

Two years ago, my S got a similar email a month after he applied. His email did not include a link to his major (he also chose a major that was not capped), but it did say the same thing about capped majors. He was later rejected (despite a high gpa - 4.33), so not sure that the email was a sign of anything.

1 Like