UC San Diego Class of 2027 Official Thread

This email from Math Testing and Placement UC San Diego

That is so odd! Ours was different.

I’ll contact them to be sure. Although I guess D23 email might be different from what I got! I’ll ask.

4 Likes

The screen shot of the email from my above post—
We got this email after my child send them a screen capture of unofficial results forAP Score for their review. The first email we received was exactly like yours.

1 Like

We received the same math placement email as the one above.

2 Likes

Can anyone share the SIR provisional conditions?

Likely the difference was because the student submitted SAT/ACT or AP Calc test score or not. Even though SAT/ACT is not used for admission, but it’s used for math and English placement. My son was asked to take the placement test, but he could submit his SAT test score and the placement test was waived.

Is anyone else’s child having trouble submitting the housing contract? My daughter has tried for 2 days now and it requires me to give her an authentication code to put in before submitting the contract, but every single time she is getting an “authentication failed” message. She is so frustrated! Trying to figure out if it’s just her.

We submitted our housing contract yesterday with no problem.

1 Like

I saw for some admits that the HS and College transcripts were due July 1 along with AP/IB scores. This may have something to do with placement tests. If you cannot find your provisional admission contract, call admissions to confirm the deadlines.

1 Like

So glad it worked for you. She sent an email to tech support and housing — looks like it will be phone calls for us tomorrow! Thanks for the update.

1 Like

I got an authentication code sent to my email. We input it and got failed as well. Then hit the back button and with the refresh we were able to proceed. I didn’t think that would work but it did and took us right to the spot to put the payment info in.

1 Like

Thank you!! We will try that tonight!

Putting the resolution here in case it helps someone who ends up in the same situation. Many emails and phone calls later, the issue was uncovered: she was inputting her PID incorrectly (replacing a 7 with a 1 in the middle of it). Turns out she typed it wrong into her notes app from which she kept copying the ID. Must have had it saved correctly to her single-sign-on account, but when that page required her to input it again, she was putting in the one with the wrong digit. And of course the authentication failed. She finally just got it to go through now. :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Hi. My daughter was just admitted off the waitlist. She really wants to pursue a more Finance-type education or at least explore those possibilities. Is UCSD the school for her? While she’s not sure she wants to go all-in on a finance career, she wants to have the flexibility of learning CS and/or aiming for potential risk management internships that are more Business geared. We’ve heard a lot about UCSD being a good STEM school, but what about business?

1 Like

Unless CS courses are part of the program in which she was admitted, taking CS classes can be difficult at UCSD. Priority for CS classes go to CS/CSE majors.

For which major was she admitted? UC’s are not known to be very flexible when it comes to pursuing classes outside the major program but UCSD does have a Finance Minor.

https://rady.ucsd.edu/programs/undergraduate/minors/finance-minor.html#Finance-Minor-Courses

She was admitted as a math major. Finance minor sounds ok, but are there other opportunities she can pursue that are business-related? We’ve heard that business is not a large focus at UCSD and were a little worried.

Here are the Undergrad Business related majors for UCSD. She needs to look over the curriculum’s to determine if they will meet her goals.

Only 3 UC’s have Undergraduate Business Colleges: UC Riverside, Irvine and Berkeley. The rest have Business related/adjacent majors which may or may not be what she is looking for in her undergrad program.

https://rady.ucsd.edu/programs/undergraduate/index.html

My son is in CSE and is taking a business minor at Rady School of Management. This is the link to the school ranking ( Rady Stats)

I will say it is doable to take the minors in a different field of study. In fact, all students at UCSD are required to take courses outside of their major. The tricky part is for the students outside of the CSE major to enroll for CSE courses since the CSE students receive a priority for CSE classes.

1 Like

Additionally, if we were to accept, how would housing and classes work? Will she be placed with a random? Have people already started registering for classes and will that influence her ability to get those CS classes?

1 Like

Freshmen receive 2-year gauranteed housing. So, if she accepts the offer, she will get a chance to create student account (tritonlink) and also can apply for housing. Where she will be placed (dorm) will depend on the availability.

The freshmen will receive the date and time for enrollment for courses. The date (earlier or later) depends on the status (freshman, soph, etc). Everything is online, including the academic counseling. Class enrollment is thru Webreg which is part of the Tritonlink account.

1 Like