UC San Diego Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

2022 NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION

More information will be provided on or after May 1, 2022

Fall 2022 Move-in

Fall 2022 Move-in information will be posted mid-Summer 2022
Move in is usually 1 week prior to classes starting.

1 Like

I was researching this too and found this link from last year under Marshall College - it has some good info.

https://marshall.ucsd.edu/programs/orientation/first-year/index.html#First-Year-Student-Timeline

1 Like

@Doubleapps: Each UCSD college will have a different timeline for orientation so you will need to wait and check your UCSD college site after May 1 for more information.

1 Like

It sounds like each college is really a little college within a college in a way. Each has their own gen ed.

1 Like

We stayed at the Marriott Club Pulse. The parking lot exit and entrance is my only pet peeve. It’a narrow and spirals. Walking distance to Gaslamp/it’s in Gaslamp district. Felt safe walking around. About 25 min to Coronado Beach. 35 min to La Jolla, where UCSD is located. If you don’t mind driving 45-70 min and exploring SoCal, these airports are available to try to save on costs: Long Beach, John Wayne, San Diego.

The Torrey Pines Hangglider Port (put that in google) has free parking (weekends are tough) at the very end. Park, go down the trail (it’s not bad but not recommended if you have bad knees) that leads to Blacks Beach. Go left for reg patrons. Right for clothing optional. No bathroom facility, but one of our fave hikes down and it’s a chill beach. The area is 15 min walking to 6th College.

Things were closed due to COVID last year but I found this map helpful to ground myself. https://admissions.ucsd.edu/_files/pdf/UC%20San%20Diego%20-%20Self%20Guided%20Campus%20Tour%202017.pdf

2 Likes

Ok sir

Marshall’s writing sequence uses a labor based grading system, so it is pretty easy to get through. I do feel like the class is a bit of an echo chamber (I am very liberal in my views however), and so it feels a bit boring to me, however the writing assignments have been very easy thus far. Also GEs are easy to clear. Marshall has nice res life, and the dining hall is pretty okay, but their menu is limited so I usually walk to Sixth to get food.

1 Like

I am a first year but I kind of speedran my lower divs so I’ll be hitting upper div CS in fall (still in lower division ECE though).

APs are good for course registration purposes cause you get higher priority, and also it is likely most Marshall GE requirements will be knocked out by that. I lowkey wish I knew some basic programming before starting or did the 8A/8B series, because I went straight into CSE11 which was a mistake imo, but I’m doing fine now in data structures/computer org, so I was able to adjust fairly quickly. Also make sure to start programming assignments early, they are very tedious and detail oriented, and I as a person who lacks attention to detail have struggled on that end.

1 Like

How difficult is the Path Scholars program to get into? I got an email and am interested

2 Likes

My daughter knew nothing about programming and she took CS11 bypassing CS8 series, she took it with Rick Ord, he was extremely helpful but has since retired. He’s only reason she donated a large chunk to UCSD one year when he texted her.

My daughter just declined her acceptance to UCSD so other kids can have a chance soon
Regards

7 Likes

So has she made her final college choice?

Either Berkeley GMP or Chicago
Will need to also wait for next week results
Declining UCSB too

5 Likes

Is it easy to transfer between UCs?

Priority goes to CC transfers then UC to UC/CSU to UC transfers. Much will depend upon GPA and completion of the major prep courses. Which UC to which UC? UCLA is the most UC to UC transfer friendly of all the UC’s, but it does not guarantee admission.

Attending a CC to UC transfer is much straight forward and depending upon which UC’s are involved, if you attend a CC then TAG (Transfer guarantee admission) is a possibility which is not available for a UC to UC transfer.

https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/cse-capped-admissions-program

Can anyone access their financial aid? Ours says not available. Thanks!

My son is exactly the same situation. He can’t declare a CS major, but if he does well, he can declare a Data science major and he can pursue AI/ML track. Since he doesn’t want to be restricted to a CS specialization so early and he wants to get a general CS education first, he probably won’t go to UC San Diego.

Does that mean odds to transfer to Data science is much higher than CS?
Honestly, it feels waitlisted has a better chance than being ‘accepted undeclared’ for CS major. I don’t get it.

Students that plan to change majors into Data Science which is also a capped major have to go through a similar process as CS change of major with screening courses but appears to be less competitive??

Selection Process:

1. Students will be ranked based on their GPA in the 3 screening courses: (MATH 18 or MATH 31AH), (MATH 20C or MATH 31BH), and DSC 10.
  2. Grades from transfer credit will be used in calculating the GPA for the screening courses, but not overall GPA.
  3. Students with the same GPA in the screening courses will be ordered by their overall GPA.
  4. Students will be admitted according to their ranking based on the number of available seats. If there are more students at a given rank than the available seats, random selection will be made from among the students at that rank to fill in the remaining seats.