UC Santa Barbara Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

@Gumbymom it looks like there were changes. The 2020-21 Common Data set only has GPA and essays as “most important.” Rigor is “important.” Rigor is the only thing in that category.

One crazy stat: more than 78 percent of enrolled freshman had a 4.0 out of 4.0 — so unweighted.

For those that are confused why they got into one UC and not another, each campus weights factors differently.

http://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional.research/common.data.set.2020.21.pdf

1 Like

They must have used weighted for that 78% stat, despite it implying unweighted.

Thank you for the update. I was in the process of revising each campuses application review criteria but other than removing test scores, it is a work in progress.

1 Like

@Gumbymom In general, do you think it is worth appealing a rejection?

are you planning on publishing that information somewhere? It is very helpful. Thx!

Considering UCSB prioritizes GPA, class rigor, and essays over ECs and other factors, yield protection could explain why some of the students who were top applicants based on these factors were not accepted. UCSB could have felt that top applicants would be lost to other schools once their decisions came out. Yield protection is as good an explanation as any as to why some top applicants based on stats were inexplicably rejected. Otherwise it’s hard to imagine that a top stats applicant would be rejected as long as they had decent essays and ECs.

I’m not an expert, just a student. But from what I understand, UCs don’t yield protect.

2 Likes

@student200000: If you have a compelling reason as a basis for your appeal, then yes it is worth your time to appeal. Care to elaborate on why you want to appeal?

Thank you to the posters who have shared their impressions of the UCSB campus. Unfortunately, my son has not had the chance to set foot on even one campus that he applied to because our county had very strict travel restrictions with Covid. Obviously, he’s taken all the virtual tours, but it’s so nice to hear the opinions of those who are familiar with the campus and its vibe.

1 Like

I can post the information on the University of California-General Forum and the pin the Thread for future students. I will announce the post when I have completed the updates.

Please do not go into the Yield protect theory which always comes up every year when High stat applicants are Waitlisted and Rejected. Bottom line, too many qualified high achieving applicants vs. spots. 6 of the 9 UC campuses are in the top 10 of most applied colleges in the US. Two Cal states are also in the top 10: San Diego State and CSU Long Beach.

4 Likes

No, if they feel that a student with top stats is a good fit, they offer him/her a Regents scholarship or an honors invite in order to lure them to UCSB.

1 Like

Hello. Does anyone here have any insights into how difficult it is to access the required classes needed to graduate at UCSB? A few days ago on the UCSD thread there were many comments about scheduling challenges. I wondered if these same concerns might apply to UCSB. Thank you.

UCSB uses a two pass registration system that is similar to UCSD. During the first pass, students are limited to 13.5 units. During the second pass, they can register for up to 19 units. UCSB had been one of the last UCs to include AP units in assigning pass time priorities. I can’t find that on their website anymore so they may have changed to align with the other UCs.

The last member of my family to attend UCSB graduated a couple of years ago so I can’t speak to how easy or difficult it is now. That relative spoke about signing up for a bio lecture and bio lab during pass 1 then dropping the lecture before adding the rest of his classes. This gave him all of the labs (which are smaller and more difficult to schedule) and then waited for pass 2 to sign up for the large lectures where space wasn’t a problem. I’m not sure if students can still do that.

Here is a recent article from the UCSB student paper, Daily Nexus about course registration changes. It mentions that Regents scholars will also no longer have priority registration.

Sorry for bringing up yield protection. Just searching for a plausible rationale why high stats applicants would be rejected especially after reading above that GPA, class rigor, and essays are the most important factors. If “fit” was so important as to be able to override all the other factors, it would be helpful if UCSB would tell applicants what they consider to be a good fit beyond the standard line (looking for challenges, thirst for learning, bring new perspectives, etc.) that all schools give.

I do agree with Gumbymom that there are too many high stat students applying for spots, and, by implication, schools don’t want a class of just high achieving nerds which is what they would get if they went strictly by stats, but instead they want interesting multi-dimensional people who might not be the highest academic achievers - something I would totally agree is a good thing for schools to pursue. By necessity then, they are going to have to reject some high stat applicants to make room for the more interesting lower-stat applicants that bring more to the school than just high academic achievement. Makes sense.

1 Like

I can tell you a bit about UCSB as we live a couple of miles away from campus and go to the beaches there often for walking or surfing. The campus is beautiful and well kept-most of the students seem to get around on bikes or skateboards and there is a great system of paths to manage flow and keep them separate from walkers. We moved to SB a few years back and absolutely love the town–it is friendly and relaxed with wonderful weather and great community spirit. Students are a very happy and diverse bunch and I love to see them enjoying the campus recreation facilities and beaches. The students I know love the school. As people have said, there is a party scene if that is what you want, but many other options if not. I wouldn’t call it a ‘party school’.
D21 was just accepted and has said for awhile that it would be her first choice if it wasn’t so close to home–she’d like to spread her wings, but is having trouble finding a place she thinks is nicer that here. She received the chancellors invite so maybe there will be something with that to tempt her to stay. She did receive Regents/Honors at UC Irvine so maybe?
I don’t know much about how difficult it is to get classes so will be asking local students those questions now that I know its a possibility for D21.
I just listened to a podcast interview with Lisa Przekop, UCSB admissions director. on the ‘College Matters’ podcast–its worth a listen and gives insight into their selection process and general vibe of the school.
Good luck, everyone and huge thank you to the forum champions @10s4life and @Gumbymom that have given us so much excellent info on this unique UC process.

8 Likes

Perhaps it is time for another UC Campus or 2 to accommodate all these hard-working, high-tax paying parents in the State of CA? That might require an “adjustment” to pensions; just speaking as a former UCSB alum and parent (waitlisted to virtually every CA/CSU school, and not alone).

4 Likes

Thank you KDKMP4. My D was also accepted. We had a chance to tour pre-covid and it seemed like the perfect mix of academics and recreation with an incredible location. During the admissions session they mentioned that it was easier for the undergrads at UCSB to do get research opportunities vs. UCLA since you aren’t competing against as many graduate students. Our presenter had graduated from UCSB and decided she did not want to leave (go figure).

After reading some of the recent updates shared about Regents benefits, it still sounds like the university has too many students and not enough classes. We will want to learn more about how they plan to manage this and also what specifically being back on campus in Fall means.

1 Like

There are UC campuses with room. Typically UCR and UC Merced have open spots.

@10s4life Do UC’s see on the portal which UC’s you have been denied or accepted at? I am thinking since it’s all the same system they must be able to see it!