UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Daughter waitlisted.

Waitlisted at UCSD as well.

Rejected - UCLA.

Accepted - UCI, USD, Cal Poly and some others.

You don’t need UCSB if you’ve got a 6 figure business running in high school!

3 Likes

:sob: Did you apply any other UC

3 Likes

Sorry to hear; CS is such a hard major to be admitted into this year. I bet your PIQ’s weren’t “bad.” Your major is just SO in demand. Maybe UC should reduce some of their other academic depts and double the size of the CS dept.

1 Like

DD rejected L&S
Accepted UCI, SDSU and out of state options
No response: CPSLO
Denied: UCLA, UCSD, UCD

Decision: Accepted
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Computer Science(Honors Engineering)

ACADEMIC STATS::

UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.36
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.64
ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 1
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 11 (scored 5 in 5 courses, 4 in 2 courses, 4 in senior year)
Number of CC courses: 1

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: Freshman/Varsity Basketball and club sport(4 years), Science club 4 years(President 2 years), Mock UN club 2 years

Job/Work Experience: SWE in a startup since 2 years

Volunteer/Community service: SONC volunteer coach 2 years

Summer Activities: GMU ASSIP research - 1 summer

Personal Insight essays (details): Decent essays

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): Bay Area public high school

First Generation? No

Accepted:UCLA, UCI, UCSD , UCD, SDSU, UC Riverside , UW Seattle, UPitt Honors College
Deferred: Northeastern
Waitlisted: UCSC

6 Likes

i got in but for some reason it says my major is for undeclared (letters and sciences) but my major should be mechanical engineering. is anyone else having this problem, if not what should i do because i didn’t chose undeclared, i chose mechanical engineering.

it’s a hobbyist business and the profits are about 40k that I stuck into my roth, it’s too unstable to actually maintain long term and I’ve gotten tired of dealing w the other hobbyists, so still need uni haha

(this ignores how I’d rather just be a soft engineer)

2 Likes

what was your alternate major?

No – she was admitted to UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, and UC Santa Cruz. Rejected from UCLA. This is her first waitlist. She says she clicked “accept waitlist” and submitted it right away, so I hope she didn’t miss doing something she was supposed to do like send grades!

If you did not qualify for the ME major and did not list an alternate major in L&S, they will accept you into Undeclared. Switching into Engineering majors later are difficult and not guaranteed.

The limited number of spaces available in the College of Engineering make it extremely rare for a request to change to an engineering major to be approved.

1 Like

Maybe you weren’t admitted for ME but you were admitted into undeclared instead. Maybe UCSB does that.

the issue i’ve seen boils down to OOS admits being 20% of the class and not having a unified admissions process, why they give people more than one campus is beyond me. It should be a ranked choice system with one campus per applicant if accepted. The current system just screws over everyone except the very best.

4 Likes

OOS - No GO for my son. CS Major.

Exactly the same for my son. Applied mechanical engineering but got undeclared Letters and Sciences instead, even though that wasn’t listed as his alternative major. It’s nice that he got an acceptance, but it’s essentially a rejection since he won’t choose anything outside of engineering. Thankfully he has other great options.

3 Likes

It means you got accepted undeclared, and will have to take classes for 2 years and try to transfer to the engineering program. Same thing happened to my son.

my alternate was computer engineering so regardless it was engineering yet they put me in letter and science

S23 Waitlisted for pre-economics OOS
3.9 UW 4.6 W (unsure of UC GPA) 9 APs

Accepted: UCI, UCD, Cal Poly SLO, Pitt, Penn State, UMD, Santa Clara and UGA
WL: UW, UCSB
Rejected: UCLA, UT, NYU

1 Like

I think a ranked choice system for UC admissions would be good (like I think UC had years ago I understand). I see so many students here who would happily swap their UC Davis or UC San Diego admission for a UC Santa Barbara or UC Irvine admission and vice versa. I feel like almost all applicants want UCLA as 1st choice but after that there’s a real mix of 2nd, 3rd, choices. I like what the UK does: students can apply to either Oxford or Cambridge but not both (and then also only 5 unis total). But the United States values freedom of choice and options (which I do too) and so it is what it is for the moment. . .

7 Likes

They only consider your alternate major if it is in the College of L&S not Engineering.

2 Likes