UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Ah got it. I wasn’t sure if that photo was transfer data or freshman fall admissions. Thanks for the clarification.

Seems weird that CS has a yield of 9%. They cannot all be going somewhere else … can they?

1 Like

Never mind. An email just came through.

Does anyone know what the oos acceptance rate is?

2023 Acceptance rates will not be posted until they clear the waitlist. Last year’s OOS acceptance rate was 28.8%. The UC’s have a mandated enrollment cap of 18% for OOS and International applicants. 8.6% of the admitted enrolled last year for UCSB.

“Some figures are masked due to small cell sizes. “. Maybe it doesn’t list when admitted or enrolled is 0.

1 Like

My D23 was rejected yesterday

Weighted GPA: 4.04, unweighted GPA: 3.88

Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE classes: 2 years honors, 2 years AP
Intended Major: Environmental Science
Non-local CA resident from public high school, Bay Area

EC’s: Environemtal clubs - school and outside, Leadership, Working

Accepted to: Oregon State, U of Oregon, Chico, Humbolt, UCR, U of AZ, CSLB, Redlands

Waitlisted: SDSU

Rejected: UCD, UCSC, UCSB

Waiting on: SLO (Slow)

2 Likes

Visitor Beware. If you tour UCSB & IV on a non test week sunny Friday, it is hard to resist how beautiful the campus & campus life is. Davis might be the classic college town with just enough of everything. Have fun visiting campuses.

2 Likes

My nephew is doing Environmental Science at Humboldt and really likes it.

1 Like

that’s interesting that UCSB still uses the mailing of envelope to notify students of scholarships! My daughter has received regents from UCSD and UCDavis , really excited! didn’t know that very few are given out!

Congratulations!

I believe UCR’s has the largest Regents scholarship and UC Davis is 2nd.

A post was split to a new thread: USB vs. Cal Poly SLO

Thanks!

Yes, presumably there’s a reason why Oprah and Prince Harry and others choose to live near Santa Barbara–the Mediterranean of the United States (or, conversely as I thought when I visited Cote d’Azur and Cannes in 2019, “This looks just like Santa Barbara!”).

These observations are likely not helping those rejected or waitlisted from UCSB reading this so I’ll add that my DD thinks Santa Barbara is “gloomy” from her one overcast visit there one summer for a wedding, and she’s not overly impressed with the “power of blue” (the mental health benefits of living by water–I am!). She’s also not a partier. We’ll see what “vibe” she picks up from the campus now that she’ll be looking at it with new eyes as an admitted student.

3 Likes

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will post Preliminary Financial Aid award letters for admitted students on Monday, March 27th. Please note, you will access this information through your [UCSB Admission Portal] (not through the Financial Aid website).

If you were offered a space on the Waitlist and you have “opted-in” to the waitlist, Financial Aid will begin posting Preliminary Award Letter as they are completed with the first round being posted on March 27th—you may need to log back in to your portal occasionally as letters are processed on a rolling basis. Once ready, letters will be accessible through your [Admission Portal]. Please note, preliminary awards are not an indication of your future admission status, instead the financial aid information is provided should you be admitted at a later date.

2 Likes

Does anyone have students currently in the CCS program, any discipline really, but specifically Marine Science? Would love some feedback. TIA

Should my daughter fill out the freshman housing application ASAP, or just before the May 1st deadline? I’m wondering if you are more likely to get housing preferences if you fill it out in March.

Mine too! I don’t even know why they applied. We were there in the summer and the mist was both gloomy and made them sure their hair would always be frizzy. When do their brains fully mature again?

1 Like

Housing will not review applications until after the deadline so submitting early does not help on with housing preferences but early is always better for piece of mind.

3 Likes

Marine Science is very new. It was supposed to start in 2020 but didn’t. This may even be its first year.

https://ccs.ucsb.edu/news/2018/ccs-announces-marine-science-colleges-ninth-major

This article from May, 2022 says, “Dr. James is the first dedicated CCS faculty member for the new CCS Marine Science major, the College’s ninth program.”

More about Dr. James. Meet CCS Marine Science Faculty Anna James | UCSB College of Creative Studies

2 Likes