UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Just a reminder that Regents and honors students at UCSB do NOT receive priority registration.

1 Like

Yeah I’m accepted elsewhere but I submitted my SAT to the other schools, so I’m not really sure if that’s a good comparison (except for Cal Poly SLO which I received an acceptance from)

Highly unlikely to switch into CS or any engineering major. :sob:

No sense in investing in a school for two years if no path to engineering; they should have just rejected her. Her first and second choices were engineering.

2 Likes

Hope he was accepted!

2 Likes

D23 Accepted
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): none
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Pre-Chemistry

ACADEMIC STATS:
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.50?
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.72? (not entirely sure how this calculates for OOS)
ELC (top 9% CA HS): N/A

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses: 6 per year…so 18 for grades 10-12?
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: N/A
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 5 (2 5s so far, 3 tests in May)
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): N/A

SUBJECTIVE:
Extracurriculars:
-Varsity basketball 4 years, 2 year captain
-Varsity volleyball 4 years
-Student led a cappella choir 4 years, director 1 year
-AAU basketball 4 years
-Youth Deacon at church 2 years
-Chemistry research at UCB 1 summer
-YMCA camp counselor 2 years
-Singing, piano, guitar

DEMOGRAPHICS:
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): OOS. Small private HS
Applied for need-based financial aid: No
First Generation: No

Also accepted: UCD, U of Washington, U of Wisconsin, U of Minnesota
Waitlisted: UCSD
Denied: UCLA, Northeastern
Waiting: UCB, USC, Brown, NYU, Boston U, Northwestern, Rice, U of Michigan

UCB is her #1 choice. She would pick between U of Washington and UCSB right now.

Question on UCSB - how difficult is it to get into CCS (Chemistry/Biochemistry) applying after the first semester or year? D23 wasn’t sure about it when she applied, but is seriously interested in it now. Thanks for any insight.

1 Like

D applied to some schools as a Biology major and some schools for Engineering. She was admitted to UCSB for Mechanical Engineering and has now decided she wants Bio. UCSB is her first choice school. Any options for changing the major?

Changing from Engineering to Biology should not be an issue.

Non-biology Majors Switching to the Biology Major

First Year (Freshman) students - may declare the pre-biology major after successful completion of chemistry 1A and 1B (+ labs if possible). If taking Chemistry 1B in Spring quarter you must also enroll in chemistry 1C (either Summer or Fall) and enroll in MCDB 1A (either Summer or Fall) before you can change into the pre-biology major. Concurrent enrollment in chemistry 1C and MCDB 1A is allowed.

1 Like

Make sure she is 100% sure she wants biology. It is easy to move out of engineering but virtually impossible to move the opposite direction.

Is she interested in health care or what is her reason for wanting to switch to biology?

3 Likes

Thank you! This is great info. This has been such a tough year and she was just so unsure about major.

1 Like

Yes we figured as much. She is thinking pre-med but wasn’t sure. This last year she’s had to see so many doctors for lots of sports injuries and I think she’s 100% sure.

2 Likes

Edit: Just realized BME at UCSB is only at the graduate level.

From the COE FAQ page:

HOW DO I CHANGE MY MAJOR OUT OF THE COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING?

It is recommended you speak with an academic advisor in the College’s when making the decision to change your major out of the College of Engineering. Once you have switched out of engineering you will not be allowed to change back in at a later date. Further, you should meet with the major and/or college advisor you are interested in switching to. The advisor will review your coursework and eligibility for the major.

3 Likes

Have CCS decisions come out for those who applied for Math? I applied for Math to CCS and have not yet received an email.

1 Like

Does anyone know if UCSB sends physical acceptance letters? She need it for some scholarships she is applying to. I thought perhaps there would be a pdf version in her portal but daughter says no.

We got an envelope in the mail yesterday that says Congratlulations. It isn’t in letter format, but it’s more of a little brochure. We live in SoCal so maybe it came faster to us?

2 Likes

Received the acceptance letter/brochure yesterday in Nor Cal…

1 Like

We got the acceptance brochure, I was just hoping for a physical acceptance letter, vs the email.

2 Likes

My son got an acceptance email from CCS math on Wednesday.

1 Like

I’m in NorCal, and we also received the “Congratulations” brochure in the mail yesterday. Honestly, I was expecting more - like an actual letter.

3 Likes

Mine got an email with acceptance the morning after regular acceptances came out.

1 Like

We got one yesterday too and live in NC